1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on name change

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by EverDeer, May 7, 2017.

1. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I see these threads all the time, but I feel kinda bad for making a new one just because I feel like it's such a short question... does anyone think it'd be neat if there was a master thread for people asking for opinions on names for themselves? Also maybe it could be like a big long list of lots of name suggestions? It might get a little chaotic tho...

Anyway! I first joined this website when I had been identifying as nonbinary officially for a few months, after toying around with the concept in my mind for almost a year, and I came here under a new name that I had considered using just to see if I would like the feel of it, so I could express my real self whilst maintaining somewhat anonymous... however I'm getting to the point in my life where it would be easy for me to sort of start fresh so I was beginning to seriously consider if I wanted to come out and go by this name in my everyday life too...

My birthname is Katie. I've never had a lot of dysphoria towards it, but I've never exactly felt super connected to it either, mostly just indifferent, or sometimes put-off when people would say stuff like "aww, that's why you're such a sweet person" when they'd hear my name... and anymore I really do occassionally forget that people are referring to me when they say my name, and I sometimes feel dissociated from it when I hear it, like I know it's me but I feel estranged from it.

I like the name itself, I think it has a good sound to it and is a pretty name, but I'm just not sure if it correctly conveys who I really am as a person, it seems too feminine for who I am. Also, most of the time my friends call me a nickname anyway (Moth) based on a self-insert character from an art community I'm apart of where it's common to go by aliases. I like this name too, it feels like me and most of my close friends call me that anyway, but I understand that it doesn't sound very real or professional, and I'm comfortable with it just being a nickname... cause at the very least I want something that I'll be capable of navigating everyday life with that still accurately portrays my gender.

So, when I first joined here I liked Kipp/Kippy because it has two syllables like Katie and can end in an "ee" sound, but is typically a more masculine name, and for the long form I liked Kipper (based off the kids show Kipper The Dog). But, I don't really think Kipper seems like a realistic name either anymore... that or I just don't connect to it as well as just Kipp.

So, my middle name is Lyn, and Kipling is another common form of Kip, and I like that it has a light yet serious / almost regal sound to it... so I was thinking, I could change my name to Kipp and then combine it with my current middle name to create... Kipplyn?

Kipplyn does sound a bit more feminine than Kipling, but I'm not currently looking to go through any physical/hormonal aspects of transition... and it's almost pronounced identically to Kipling, and ideally I would just go by Kipp anyway, which sounds more masculine/neutral in that form. Really, I don't like many other male "K" names, and the only other name I really connect with very much is Mick/Mickey (has a soft sound like Moth too)

So, any opinions? Kipper, Kipplyn, Kipling, Moth... let me know! ^.^

2. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why not? :slight_smile: Better the first than the second, or it may look like those lists of name suggestions for babies…

How gendered a name is, in my opinion, is not related to physical transition.
    "Neutral" names exist and are given to boys and girls, so that the gender of the person who has it "gives a gender" to it.
    So choose the name you feel more yours, the one that matches to the mind, letting alone the body.

"Kipling" is more gentle-sounded than "Kipplyn", but using your second name is not a bad idea.

3. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To me, Kipp sounds good. I have never heard of the name before, so I looked it up. The internet seems to say it's usually given to boys, but to me, Kipp sounds androgynous. I do like the name Kipp. This is my opinion; the choice is yours in the end.

4. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like Kippling but maybe you could amend the spelling to Kipplyng in reference to your middle name

5. novena

In my opinion, I'd say Kipp (both variations) is great in the sense that they're very gender neutral as they are very uncommon. However, Mickey would be much more easy to navigate life with as it's a more generally accepted name in society.

Keep in mind there's nothing wrong with changing your name and still using old nicknames so Moth could stay as that if that's what you prefer. Although since you've been called that by other people in the past you would probably respond quicker to it and feel less disassociated.

Honestly, I recommend you just go with whatever you feel a closer tie to as people have uncommon names all the time and it's much more important that you're comfortable with your name than anyone else.

6. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh I never thought of that, I actually really like that idea and I think it's worth considering too...

Thanks to everyone else who posted for the opinions as well, all good things to think about and very helpful ^.^