1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to change my name.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nox, May 8, 2017.

1. Nox

Nox

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey! I don't really know if this belongs in this section, or maybe in the coming out one, so sorry if I got it wrong.

Ok, so recently I've come to terms with the fact that I'm not a girl, but I don't know what I am. I've decided to just do whatever feels right and let labels come when/if they come. This far I've cut my hair, dressed more "Manly", and that's about it. People have noticed and I've gotten some comments, but most people seem to read it as a "Tomboy fase" or something, so this far I haven't had to explain much, which is a relief because I wouldn't know how.

Problem is I want to take a bolder step now. I've never liked my name, I hate the way it sounds, I hate that it's so Common, and I don't feel that it represents me at all. This has always been the case, but now it actually makes me sick to have people call me that, I can't even get myself to sign my works with it, so instead I use the initial and my last name.

I chose a new name: Ariel (which is a gender-neutral name in spanish, tho it's mostly used by males) and I asked a close friend to call me that, and when she does, it just makes me really happy, euphoric even, like I can't even understand the rest of the message because of how happy I am. In public she calls me by my old name (on my request, so other people won't ask questions), and the comparison is down right depressing. I wish she would always call me Ariel, I wish everyone else would call me that, too, but I'm afraid that if I start asking people to call me Ariel, they would know something's off, and maybe they would start asking questions and just the thought of having yo explain myself makes me panic. I really don't want to, but I also feel like this name change is something's I need. Is there a way to, like, smoothly tell people about my new name without then guessing what's up? Or if there isn't (and this is mainly question for people who have already changed their name) should I do it anyways? I mean, is it worth it?

I'm really lost and confused right now so any advice will be well recived, just please :help: !

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This section is fine.

At what age do you go to uni in South America? If you could wait that long then you could change your name for the university people.

You could just tell them that "you never liked your name and wanted something nicer" but that might not go down well with the people who named you and/or your parents.

You could tell them you've changed your name to be in a band? If you play a musical instrument or are a singer this isn't uncommon.

3. Nox

Nox

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We go to uni when we are 18, but at least in Chile (don't know about the rest of south America) universities don't have dorms so you study there but still sleep at your home, just like school, basically. Anyways I could introduce myself as Ariel to the people I meet there and tell them I didn't like my old name as you said, but I would still live with my parents and brothers, in the same neighborhood and mostly sorrounded by the same people, so waiting until next year won't really fix my problem.
    I don't play any instrument, but I do write and draw a lot, so maybe the artistical name tactic would work? I don't know, but still it could be a soluciĆ³n, thanks a lot for suggesting it :slight_smile:

4. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As for university students, just say you don't like your name because it's too common or because you... you just don't like it. Or try to use Ariel as a "nickname". Or pretend that it's your second name and you prefer the second name.

5. Nox

Nox

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey! Sorry for disappearing and thanks a lot, Crisalide! I think the second name idea could help a lot! Even with people I already know, because think anyone remembers my original second name xD

Either way, things have changed since I originally posted this, and I think I might actually change my name legally if I gather some courage, because I talked to my mom yestarday and her reaction was nothing like what I had expected. She said Ariel was a beautiful name, tho she did ask about my gender identity at some point in the conversarion, and when I answered she was a little mad, but only because I had thought she had not noticed something was changing, she said something like "I do pay atention to you, and I am your mother, after all!" the she said she only wanted me to be happy, and well right now I AM extremly happy :grin:
    Thanks for your comments, it helps a lot to discuss topics like this with such nice and open-minded people(*hug*)

6. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Woohooo, when a parent's anger is a good reaction Lol.
    Happy for you. :slight_smile:

7. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats! I always enjoy reading a happy ending to these kinds of stories. It always brightens up my day. I live how this site allows people to empathize and feel a connection with people living thousands of miles away. Your story is an inspiration.