1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowering your voice without T

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Quniverse, May 10, 2017.

1. Quniverse

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wanna lower my voice. I never intend to go on T since a lower voice is the only thing I want that T can give me. Is there a way for me to lower my voice, even just a little, another way? I've tried speaking in my chest voice and I can hear the difference but no one else can.

2. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only other method I'm aware of, other than just attempting to train your voice of course which some people find success in and others don't, is a type 3 thyroplasty which shortens the vocal cords to lower ones pitch. It is a method that has been done on transmasculine individuals who only wanted the lowered voice from T when I was researching it myself, so perhaps that is an option for you.

3. SomeUsername

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could try voice lessons or voice deepening stretches like on this blog: Man 101: The Brutally Honest FTM Guide. But I've heard that speaking in an uncomfortably low voice for an extended period of time can really damage your vocal chords, so surgery like Cody18 suggested might be healthier.

4. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try to learn the best you can about the anatomy of vocal chords etc, and how it works.

I learned how to "treat" my voice by singing in a choir. It can be dysphoric, but it's better than singing alone because in a choir you almost don't hear yourself, you rather have to listen the rest of the group. You will become familiar with your voice and know "the button to press" if you want particular effects.
    In a choir, I have to sing with my "natural" voice and I dislike it, but I can dissociate telling myself that I'm inside a mannequin… When I go home, I practise on the tenor parts, hehe.

But this is just an expedient waiting for hormones or thyroplasty.

5. Zoneingout

Yes, there are ways to lower your voice
    Just like there are ways to learn how to sing it's basically a similar way to singing.
    There are youtube videos online you can watch of PRE T people showing others how to use a lower tone of voice and they can be helpful videos when a person is trying to figure out how to use a lower or higher tone. Mostly, it's talking low bringing your voice into your belly and holding it there but you also want to make sure you don't strain your vocal cords.

Is there a way beside this?
    Not that i have found sorry.