1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure if I want to change my birth name

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DragonsInSpace, May 13, 2017.

1. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay so, I recently came to terms with my being non-binary. I've come out to my friends and I go by they/them pronouns. But I can't figure out how I feel about my birth name, which is Hazel.

I prefer to present androgynously or masculine and Hazel is almost always used for girls. That said, it has been used for boys in the past, though it was never a popular boy's name. My mum actually named me after the buck rabbit from Watership Down, so knowing that that character was male makes me feel a bit better but when you hear the name Hazel you think girl. My friends often call me Haze which I'm cool with though.

Another thing is that it's a nature name, like Sage or Aspen which are both unisex. I personally think most nature names are unisex and Hazel is just the type of tree. So that argument makes me not mind it sooo much.

I don't know exactly how I feel. Sometimes I feel a bit dysphoric when I hear people call me that but other times I'm okay with it. Do you lot think I should keep it or change it?

2. astriferous

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I hear Hazel I think it sounds pretty gender neutral, but of course what you do depends on how you feel, and not how others feel, lol.

Maybe you should just give it more time and pay attention to how you react to the name? Right now you're conflicted about it, but maybe with more time you'll see a clear preference for or against the name. Maybe that would help you make a choice.

3. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually asked this question somewhere else too and a few other people considered it unisex. This makes me feel a bit better about it.
    Good point, I'll give it a while longer. Thanks

4. novena

I think Hazel is pretty gender neutral but maybe if you're not sure you could experiment with another name for a week or so and see how it feels. You don't have to automatically commit to a name. It took me a year to finally commit to a name.

5. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be friends with a kid named hazel in elementary, he was a boy. Only time I ever heard that name being used,but it definitely sounds gender neutral. Either way, it depends.. You seem to really like the name, but as someone else has mentioned, try experimenting with a different name and see how that feels. Like, if you are uncomfortable asking your friends even, just do what I did as a kid: I would go up to the mirror, pretend I was introducing myself to someone, and talk to myself, repeating stuff revolving around the name I liked. Even that will give you a feel for what sounds good.

6. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That mirror thing is a good idea, I might just try that, thanks. And that's pretty cool that you knew a boy Hazel.

7. Zoneingout

My birth name is Sam and I don't mind saying it because I actually don't mind my birth name I think it's a wonderful name it's fairly simple and easy to say it doesn't have much to it but the reality in almost every TV show or movie I watch Sam is always a character standing by somebody side, and it kind of does reminds me of myself. I do think it fits me so even though this isn't a movie and this is reality I relate to my birth name and I don't mind it. However the other half of my name I don't actually like, it makes me uncomfortable and like you occasionally makes me dysphoric But in general it's not actually a bad name I still allow some of my friends to call me Sam and I told people several times I don't mind if they call me Sam or the other name I prefer which is Tristan and that also by the way can be a unisex name . it comes down to what you feel comfortable with the most. And if that ends up being a different name from your birth name then I say go with the flow why not give it a shot? And if it ends up being that you're comfortable with your birth name then I think Hazel is a perfectly fine name to go with actually before you even mentioned it being a male name my immediate thought was that would be an interesting male name it would be unique but it would definitely be cool to have. But who knows you might end up doing something similar to what I do or what I do which is switching between names occasionally or having certain people call me a certain name because I feel comfortable with certain people calling me a certain one . In the end like I said it's what you want to do and whatever that is people who care should take the time to respect that or learn to understand it even if it takes a little processing. :slight_smile: and ill quickly add the version of my name i dislike is the full langth and that's as you probably already guessed (Samantha - very feminine )

#7 Zoneingout, May 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2017
  8. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow thanks for that reply! I'm glad you have a way of working your name(s) that you're comfortable with. Sam is a nice name! Thanks for the advice too, I'll have a think about things but I think I'm coming to terms with the name Hazel as most people seem to think it's unisex :slight_smile: