1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stressed out

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Spot, May 14, 2017.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I might've talked about this before but I'm not sure. And this has to be a quick post because I have to go to school soon. I'm seeing my counselor at 3:30 today and honestly, I'm feeling really stressed out. He knows I'm transgender already but I feel so awkward bringing it up because the last time we discussed it seriously was probably last year. I get really nervous talking about it in real life, I swear my hands always start shaking and I don't know how to stop that. I should because it's awkward and makes me look crazy. I feel so weird since I don't look much like a guy so I think he might not believe that I'm actually transgender because of how I look? But how do I get over the fear of bringing it up in the first place? I realize it's the only way I can get help but I'm still afraid to bring it up...

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Colin,

We here on EC know that you are NOT crazy. So, bringing your gender identity up in a closed situation with your counselor is a problem because..? You said that you brought it up before. So you CAN do it. The issue seems to be (correct me if I'm misunderstanding) that you want confirm/reaffirm what you've said before. My, totally objective questions to you are: what do you have to lose? What do you have to gain? Having laid the groundwork before what do you have to lose? Do you expect to feel better or worse about your interaction with him if you Come Out?

3. Zoneingout

It's important to note that a therapist is there to help you work through your problems and pick an option that makes you happier with your life they're not there to place judgment or criticize you . I know going into my first therapy appointment telling myself that and having somebody tell me that was the thing that helped me the most . It's also very important to be extremely honest with your counselor because it's the best way that they can help you and learn what's going to help you the most in your situation . I wouldn't be too concerned about the negatives and I definitely wouldn't focus on the negatives. I know that is harder said than done but if you focus on what I said above then I think that might be a step in helping you feel more comfortable. I think you'll also come to find that you're probably not the only one who's told this person that you are transgender, therapists tend to see a lot of people they are also trained to handle situations in the correct manner. but if it ever came down to something where you did not feel like this person was being respectful or understood you I would take the steps and trying to find a gender therapist who specializes in the LGBT community. Although you shouldn't have a problem. When it comes to telling your counselor that you're transgender I can completely understand why that would be very nerve-wracking for you because it was also very nerve-wracking for me and it's a normal feeling to be nervous telling the stranger anything . you are definitely not crazy and if you're crazy that I guess a lot of people would also be crazy so trust me I don't think you are :slight_smile:

#3 Zoneingout, May 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2017