1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FtM and non-binary haircuts

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mihael, May 17, 2017.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like my hair so I want to save as much as possible while still going short. I dislike undercuts but I'm open to them, I'm open to "queer haircuts" too. Apparently I have not a baby face... so maybe I can go bolder. I mean I could look like a middle aged lady with some haircuts because my features are quite fine... but who cares. I read pretty genderless and ageless when it comes to face. I think so... I happened to pass as a teen, boy, girl and as over 30...

I want to go for somehing like a manga haircut, pretty boy, this kind of look.

Photos and names of celebrities with the haircut will be appreciated.

Also: how often does a short haircut require going to the hairdresser and how to style it?

P.s. i don't want to pass. I want to feel good and have short hair.

#1 Mihael, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think i'll follow this thread too. I want a shorter androgenous haircut myself but idk what would look good on me or if i could pull it off. I want to be able to pull off both girl and boy. I'm short so sometimes customers at work think i'm in highschool. I have a collection of haircut pics on pinterest saved. If you have access to pinterest and just want ideas, you can look there too.

#2 AlexJames, May 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2017
  3. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess for short hair it can depend how frequently you get it cut. The style will have an impact. For example I have a mohawk. When I get it cut the barber does the back and sides on a 0. The mohawk is about 2 inches long. I go back when the back and sides get too long.

If you have a manga inspired haircut I'm guessing it'll take a while to style it until you get used to it. I can't say how often you'll need to get a haircut. It'll depend on how long you'll be able to maintain the style you want once it gets longer.

4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally cut my hair myself with a trimmer and guards, but I typically cut my hair every couple weeks, but it depends on how fast your hair grows and what style you want.

I agree with LunarLyric that Pinterest is a good resource to find ideas.

If you get it cut by a stylist, they could tell you how they style it and how you should style it at home, and buy the stuff they use there.

5. AaronV

How often you'll need to go to the hairdresser depends on your hair growth. To maintain the haircut in my profile pic I need to go to the hairdresser at least once a month since my hair grows back pretty fast. Every three weeks would probably be better but I don't have the time and money for that.
    For styling purposes, I usually use a matte/dry styling wax and keep everything in place with hair spray.

6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eeeh, I don't have a pinterest account...

Thanks for the styling tips. So it needs to be cut every couple of weeks. Okey.

7. Zoneingout

I don't think the concept the passing is a very good one because I think it can be very contradicting. Here we are as a society trying to break out of stereotypes and just placing more upon ourselves how does that help the situation? if you ask me pick whatever hairstyle you prefer because people are always going to have a different opinion anyways for example I'm somebody who likes medium length hair for men and on the right person I also like long hair. I'm growing my hair out and I'm a guy so I can't really play the gender on a haircut but I can tell you that if you truly want the go with what people considered to be more masculine I would ask for the most popular Style in fashion at the moment that is 4 whatever gender you are going for

8. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/538602436675506488/

This might help some. Apparently different hairstyles compliment different face shapes. Its meant for girls wanting girl haircuts...but what i liked is that it helps you figure out what face shape you have. (And from there surely pinterest has a guide aimed at guys wanting guy haircuts.) I just liked it cause i don't even know my face shape, and i think at least knowing that can help me pick a hairstyle that will actually look good on me. I always say i have 'hermione hair' and i hate it, but i don't want to impulsively chop it off cause i hate my face too.

9. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That graphic is confusing. How do I figure the ratio, and which of the three width measurements am I supposed to use?

---------- Post added 23rd May 2017 at 06:55 PM ----------

Help! My measurements were
    1) 4.5
    2) 5.25
    3) 5
    4) 7

10. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't see the link to the image, but for anime style hair...

Try putty, wax, and sculpting clay and see what works best for you. Gatsby's a popular japanese wax brand and American crew's a popular fiber (I personally dislike it)

Styling takes LOOOONG time, but if you get the typical layered anime hair, it looks good down too, sans styling.