1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by marooned, May 25, 2017.

1. marooned

Hello. I'll try and be quick and cut to the chase. I'm pretty certain that I am transgender (trans masculine is the narrowest definition I can safely make at this moment). I've given it a great deal of thought over the past maybe 3-4 years, and I can't seem to shake the notion (and somewhat hope) that I am. I experience a certain disconnect between the way my body looks and the way I want it to look and feel very uncomfortable with certain parts of it. You've heard it before.

Now, I've been struggling with some mental issues since high school where I started developing symptoms akin to depression. I had a hard time concentrating and motivating myself to do the coursework. I was always tired and never felt energized. I was never bullied though, but I did keep to myself a lot and never really felt very comfortable. Since these troubles, although somewhat lessened, still persist I have seen a psychologist. She and I never really figured what the root of my depression is and I came to wonder; could it be the fact that I am trans?

Whilst I was in high school I didn't think on it as much as I have of late and I still experience a fair amount of doubt. But I suppose my question is whether or not it's possible to be depressed without even realizing it is due to you being trans?
    To me this seems almost unfathomable that something you don't even know about yourself could affect you in this way. Even though I've come to realize about myself that I am not the best at knowing my own feelings or recalling them this still seems as too big a leap.

Now I realize the people here aren't doctors or psychologists; I'm just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience. I'm sorry for the length despite my trying to keep it short and thank you for taking the time to read.

2. Zoneingout

Yes its possible that's how it happened for me i was depressed i didn't comprehend the entire reason why because other things in my life where happening. And then i realized it was because i was unhappy and transgender. It's possible it could be because you're transgender but i also suggest maybe looking into another consular because they should have had a idea of what you're depressed over there supposed to be trained for this.