1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I wash a binder?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Quniverse, May 27, 2017.

1. Quniverse

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently got my first binder (!!!) but I realize there are a few things I don't know...

1) How do I wash it? In the washer? By hand? Can it go in the dryer?
    2) How often do I need to wash it? I only have one and I'd like to wear it as much as possible.

It's a gc2b binder if that affects any of the answers.

2. newts

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can wash it in the washer and dryer, it might wear it out quicker though. If you really want to be careful with it, hand washing with cold water and air-drying might prolong the use you can get out of it.

Not really sure I can give an estimate on how often it should be washed, but in my experience they get pretty sweaty, so maybe more frequently?

3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I remember correctly, the preferred method of washing a gc2b binder is by hand. I just wash it in the sink and use a coat hanger to hook it over my shower. They dry pretty fast, so it should be ready for wearing the next day.

Might sound gross, but I wash mine whenever it starts to feel grimy. :wink: Longer lifespan, right?

Sebby45

#3 Sebby45, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can put it in the washer on a gentle setting or hand wash it, but be sure you hang it up to dry since putting it in the dryer can shrink it or mess with it in some way. As for how often should you wash your binder, it's up to you. Since I don't bind much anymore, I'll throw mine in the washer with my regular clothes maybe ones a month.

5. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never had problems washing in cold water in the machine and hang to dry. one of my binders had gone through the dryer maybe 3-4 times by accident. Then one time it came out with elastic thread sticking out all over. Completetly ruined. Was an Underworks. It's the high temps that did it methinks.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I usually either hand wash mine or place it in a garmet bag and put it in the washer. I always let it hang to dry. Like others said, drying it can make it smaller and just overall reduces the life of the binder.

7. Zoneingout

You hand wash your binder you can put it into a washer as long as it is on hand wash and when you dry it you should probably let it dry by itself . If you put it into the washer without hand wash what happens depending on the binder you bought it can tighten which causes damage to your rib cage.