1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans community here?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by orviceversa, Apr 16, 2011.

1. orviceversa

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am looking for people to talk to concerning trans issues... or maybe some helpful resources or online support groups for the same thing.

---------- Post added 16th Apr 2011 at 08:41 PM ----------

Basically I've been having some issues coming to terms with my own gender identity... or maybe it's just that I'm not sure how to define it.. or what to do about it. It's not something I usually talk about with anyone, certainly not people I know. Last night my girlfriend was just asking all kinds of questions about it. And she was really supportive and listened to my answers closely.. but it's just brought these things to the forefront of my mind. I feel like it's a lot to type out and have someone read about. I just don't know many trans individuals to talk to about these things. I don't know what kind of questions to ask myself and God.. it's just frustrating. It's like every other part of myself as a person I enjoy... but that is the one thing I'm not comfortable with. Which to me seems so superficial.. but doesn't stop me from stressing out about it.

Sorry this is disorganized.. I'm in a little bit of an emotional hangover from talking about these things last night.

2. Eleanor Rigby

Hey (*hug*) it must be very upsetting to be dealing with those issues with your gender identity on your own. That's already a great that your girlfriend is supportive, but I understand that you would like to be able to discuss this with people who had been dealing with issues about their gender.
    You can post on EC as much as you want, and I am sure the members who had been dealing or are dealing with that sort of stuff will try to help you as much as they can.
    You're very welcome to contact Maverick as well (he is currently one of the advisors on EC and happens to be transgender : http://emptyclosets.com/forum/members/maverick-9131.html)
    Maybe you can also check if there is some LGBT association in your area where you'd be able to meet other people dealing with issues about their gender, that may also help you answering some of your questions.
    Take care, (*hug*) Cécile

3. orviceversa

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the information. And I guess you are right! It's difficult to try and approach someone about anything when you're not sure how to begin the conversation I guess?

4. Thing

My problem was that I'm somewhere in the middle. If I present as a guy, I'm feminine. If I present as a girl, I'm masculine. In the end, it came down to this: what are comfortable saying you are. I decided I'm more comfortable saying I'm a girl. So that's what I decided.

Hope this helps.

5. blairSW

Board Member Full Member

Dear Orviceversa,

I work with a number of trans clients in my practice. I'm by no means an expert, but feel free to message if you have any questions.

I agree with Cecile, you should contact Maverick! I recommend you find the book "The Transgender Child" by Stephanie Brill and Rachel Pepper. I am by no means implying you're a child or have stunted development :slight_smile: The book has a lot of useful information about gender identity. I recommend it to my clients from time to time.

I would also encourage you to think of identity as a social achievement, and that gender is very much socially constructed. Sometimes binaries do little to help us feel good about who we are, because we often don't fit neatly into boxes. I also recognize that our experience of gender can have profound psychological implications.

The goal I suppose is to find a way to express our sense of self that is congruent with our internal working model of self.

Best,
    Blair