1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Issues (Long post is looooong)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Asmodeus Freija, May 29, 2011.

1. Asmodeus Freija

Okay, so, after reading over tons of topics in this forum and agonizing over whether or not to post, I've decided to start typing this up. Forgive me if it gets a little confusing, and I know it's gonna be long, but I have to get it all out. The closest support group to me is way too far for me to walk to, and it's in the city (BALTIMORE City, of all places) and takes place at night... Not good for someone as scrawny as me. But anyway, I just feel like I'm gonna go crazy if I don't get help from SOMEONE.

So, when it comes to sexuality, it hasn't been that much of an issue for me. I first figured out I was bisexual (though I later expanded this to pansexual) when I was 10 years old. I've always been pretty comfortable with the fact that I like people regardless of what sex they are. I had a few doubts ("Am I really bisexual, or am I just saying I am because my friend is, and I want to impress her?"), but I cleared them up after a short while.

When it came to coming out, I was initially guarded ("Well uh, don't tell anyone, but... I'm bi" was how it generally went with me when I was younger). Over time, though, I would find myself coming out to people as easily as I'd tell them my favorite color. It was just a part of who I am, and if the topic of sexuality came up, or if the group was discussing, say, people we found attractive, I'd make no secret of it. No one ever really had a problem with it.

As for my family, that was easy enough. My younger sister is open-minded and never thought much of it. I came out to my mother via telling her that I had a girlfriend, to which she replied, "...Okay." Again, she doesn't have an issue with it; she believes that I should do whatever it takes to be happy, and she doesn't have problems with non-straight people at all. My grandmother... I didn't come out to her formally, but she was aware that I had a girlfriend, and never said anything against it. I had another sister (who passed away recently) who's lived out-of-state since I was a baby, after our dad died, and I came out to her through Facebook. She said that she had no problem with it; in fact, she was bi herself. I have a very open-minded family.

For the longest time, I couldn't fathom why anyone would have to be so frightened of coming out. And please hear me out before you get angry. I've just come from such an open-minded area, with such accepting friends and family, that it's hard for me to realize not everyone feels the same way; so, sexuality has never been that big a deal with me.

Sexuality.

Now, though, there's another issue on my mind, and it's making me realize just how frightened some of my fellow GLBTQ people must feel. It's about gender identity.

You see, I... For a while now, I've been feeling like I, at times, was more masculine than feminine. I didn't like being seen as feminine. It would get to the point where imagining myself in, or wearing, "female" clothing like dresses and skirts would have me near tears because it just felt so wrong. Maybe not the dresses and skirts themselves, but the idea that, if I wore them, I would be thought of as "female." But then, other days, I would gladly dress up and admire my female body and be perfectly content with it. I wouldn't feel "male" at all.

At first, I thought that I must just be a male inside, with a female body. But... That didn't seem right. Sometimes, I didn't mind feeling male and looking female. Sometimes, I loved looking and acting female. It didn't feel right to identify as "transgender," because I felt that implied that I wanted to be male, completely, permanently. It isn't so.

I really do think that the best label for me is "genderfluid." I've considered "androgynous," but androgyny implies neither male or female, right? Which I suppose I am sometimes, but other times, I DO feel more like one or the other. Or, well, most of the time, I feel MOSTLY male, but slightly female. I think this is my "default." I have a sliding scale of gender, though, so I feel "fluid" just gives off the right feel.

It also just feels right when I take into account that I don't generally tend to care if someone calls me a male or a female. Like, if I'm posting on an anonymous image board and somebody says something like, "I agree with anon, he has some interesting points," I'm not even bothered, whereas a lot of the females I know would maybe say something like, "Thanks, but I'm a girl, by the way." I don't feel the need to correct anyone if it's something like that. Ugh... Complicated. But, yeah, that's how I feel, for the most part.

Now, when it comes to just accepting myself, I'm having a pretty easy time with that... But... I feel like it's getting to the point where I need to come out about this. I'm getting really stressed about everything. I feel like no one understands. Let me explain, because this is a bit complicated, too.

I said I have really understanding people around me, right? But sometimes I get the feel that they'd be pretty confused about something as unusual - or, rather, I should say, out of the ordinary - as this. I haven't been shy about my masculine side. It started out as kind of joking stuff, like, "Oh yeah, I can do this and that and blah blah blah because I'm a MANNNN." My defense mechanism for most things is humor. But, over time, it became more serious. For me, at least.

I brought up the subject of crossdressing a few years back with my mother. Nothing big - just, "I kinda wanna go shopping for men's clothes. Like, boxers and stuff actually from the male section and whatnot." To which my mother replied, "Why? Do you feel like, you know, you're one of those trans people? Do you feel like you were born in the wrong body or something?" A good effort from her, yeah, but because I didn't feel that way - that was just the beginning of my trail of self-discovery, as it were - I said no, and, a bit intimidated, I went on to say, "I just think it would be fun. Or funny. I want to see how many people I can get to actually think I'm a guy."

And the subject was dropped. Mind you, I didn't end up getting any actual articles of men's clothing until very recently. I got a pack of boxers a while ago. A start, but it didn't really lead into any actual conversation, and I think it was just chalked up as one of my many eccentricities.

Now, I have a few people referring to me as a male sporadically already. This is because, for whatever reason, some of my friends started referring to me as "father." I didn't mind; I actually kinda like being addressed that way. But it's kind of a joking nickname; my group of friends are very nickname-y people. They're the kind that go around calling people "wifey" and "twin" and such, and I'm just a part of the fucked-up Facebook family tree.

On the topic of Facebook, when said friends actually wanted to list me as their father there, I changed my sex so that it would actually go through. This bugged me, actually, for a few reasons. 1) Facebook won't let you list a female as a father, apparently. If I want to list myself as female, and someone's father, I should be able to, y'know? 2) After the change, I had more than a few people messaging me going, "Um, you know your Facebook is set to male, right???" From the way they said it, like it was a bad thing, I just got so scared that I ended up saying, "Oh yeah, that? That's just this joke between me and some friends. Don't worry about it." It's frustrating having to hide like that.

I really, really want some more "male" clothes. I want to make an actual effort to crossdress without people - friends and family, at the very least - looking at me like I have two heads. I just want to be able to wake up in the morning and, if I feel male, put on some boxers and some men's clothing and bind my chest and walk downstairs as a brother and a son and, say, Eli instead of Elizabeth (not actually my names, but close enough).

But no. If I mention that I want a male wardrobe, my sister might say, "Oh, lol, Asmodeus, you're such a MAN," but the tone says, "Why does a girl want boy's clothes? It's funny. You're masculine, but you're female, and that's strange and not normal." My grandma has and will look at me like I'm downright disturbed. My mother will barely pay attention to me, and it'll never happen.

Even if she did go and let me pick out new clothes, which she would probably do if I asked her seriously enough, it would just be weird. Unless I had a long talk about all of this, which I know I'd back out of at this point in time. She would ask me if I felt like a man inside, and I would freak and say it was just for fun. Like I was saying, it's happened before. And even if I told her everything, I'd still be freaked out to actually dress like that, because if I did, I'd have to have those same conversations with the rest of the people in my family to make them understand. And then my friends. And... I can't, I don't know how. I would chicken out and wear a baggy shirt that would hopefully hide my breasts at the right angle, and tuck my hair halfway into a cap, and call it "good enough."

They already seem to think it's funny enough when I just wear boxers under my female clothing. If I tried to have a serious talk with anyone, it'd turn into a joke, or they would kind of understand, but not really, as the tone would lighten up before I could explain everything. Humor is a bunch of people's defense mechanisms when they run into a difficult or unusually serious topic, after all.

Then there's the topic of my girlfriend... Well, we're technically on a break right now for unrelated reasons, but she's definitely still someone worth mentioning. We've been together for over two and a half years now. She's bisexual, technically, as she's told me, but for some reason, she refers to herself as a lesbian a lot. That's another issue, actually, that I'd like to mention.

I. HATE. Being called a lesbian. Hate it. Not because there's anything wrong with being a lesbian, oh no. I'm one of the most accepting people out there. It's just WRONG. It's not the right label for me, by far. A lesbian is a female who likes other females. Exclusively. Isn't it? But I'm neither female, nor exclusively attracted to females. Yes, I was in an exclusive relationship with a female for a sizable amount of time, but that doesn't make me a lesbian! It just gets me so angry! I come out to people as bi/pansexual! Why can't they call me that? It doesn't matter how often I correct them, either. I just end up hearing things like, "Well, since you're a lesbian, blah blah blah" or "I'm surprised you're not offended when someone calls you a fag, I mean, you're a lesbian and all..." over and over and over again. Even my girlfriend had, on occasion, said things like, "Oh, well, I'm a lesbian, and she is too, so..." Liking girls when I have a set of female genitalia does not make me a lesbian! Jeez!

Uhm, sorry... I just get really touchy about that, because I don't like being generalized in such a way. It's one of the few sexuality-related things that really grates on my nerves. I'm secure in my sexuality, if nothing else, so it would just be really nice if people respected that and called me what I want to be called.

Anyway, back onto the topic of my girlfriend... She's a really sweet, great person, but she and I don't see eye-to-eye all the time (one of the reasons for our temporarily split, but that's between us, and I won't get into it here). I feel like she doesn't really understand what it's like to be genderfluid, or even what genderfluid means, either. When I mention things pertaining to dressing up as, or being, male, she'll sort of roll her eyes and shrug the whole thing off. She has trouble with men, and seems to be really on edge about the prospect of ever dating a male. She even outright said to me once, "I don't think I would've liked you as much if you were a boy. I mean, you're great no matter what, but I'm not sure I would've dated someone male." So, I dunno, maybe she is a lesbian, though I know she feels at least sexual attraction towards males... That's her thing to figure out, though, not mine.

Anyway, I just feel like she won't understand if I come out to her as genderfluid, or she'll like me less for it. I just don't know how to explain it to her... I don't want to lose her if I say "sometimes I'm male," because with how she is, I'm afraid she won't realize that I'm female sometimes, too, and I just want to be recognized on the outside for how I feel on the inside. I feel like she'll take it as, "I feel like a male trapped in a female's body, and it's only a matter of time before I start dressing up as a man full-time and start hormone therapy." And I really don't want to suppress my male feelings whenever she's around, if it makes her uncomfortable...

I don't know. I've been having enough trouble just deciding if I want to stay in this relationship or not because of all the other factors involved. If I decide to stay with her, I don't want to come out and then have to lose her over something like that... I'm scared. I'm only 16, and I've never been in another relationship before, and there are so many things I have to decide along with this gender identity stuff, and I just don't know what to do.

Sometimes I feel guilty, like everything I want is way too much for everyone to handle. I want to be called male some days, and female others. I want to be called Eli some days, Elizabeth the next. I want to identify as male while wearing a skirt and have that just be something normal that I do, and I want to feel comfortable while doing it. I want to be able to say that I'm a MANRY MAN and then pick out a prom dress so that I can feel like a princess for a night. I don't want to lose someone I love because of something as trivial (well, it should be trivial) as gender. I feel so selfish, but I think I deserve the right to have a happy life in whichever way I choose. I mean, it's not hurting anybody if I walk around the house with my boobs squished under bandages, right? (That's another thing my girlfriend brings up - she loves my breasts. It can get awkward when she decides to gush about them when I feel male.)

But, you know... I just want to be accepted. I don't know where else to turn but to you guys, who have so much more experience in this kind of thing than I do. I really need some advice, please. It's... It's difficult enough for me to talk about my problems as it is, but I know that if I don't post this soon it'll just keep eating away at me, so please, even if it's just a little message, please help me out a bit. I'm sorry this post was so long, by the way, but I had to vent. All of this has been on my mind for far too long. I actually teared up a bit while writing it because it's just so emotional for me, and it's not a phase, and I really never cry, so...

I dunno. I'm rambling now. Thanks so much for taking time to read all of this! Any and all help or encouragement or anything like that is greatly appreciated.

2. Keelin

Dont stress so much. If you have trouble coming out, just write a letter and send it to everyone mentioned above. That way humor can't get in the way. :wink:

3. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel like a lot of people don't realize that other people *do* feel the same way you do, I actually think it's pretty common, especially among women. Even straight women. Women are sort of androgynous, when you think about it. Most men are hormonally charged with testosterone, and appear very male because of this.

Some women are extremely feminine, due to an imbalance that gives them more estrogen than anything else, but most women are somewhere in between, and even have a sexually dimorphous finger ratio, the ring finger and index finger being the same length. I got into 2D-4D ratio a lot last year, it explain so many things about sexuality and behavior in general. Most women have an equal ratio which means that they were neither masculinized nor feminized in utero.

I am a female with a male (low) 2D-4D ratio and I actually do feel like man. Most men have this ratio, long ring finger and short index finger. Exactly like what you describe, about wearing dresses, I haven't worn a dress in 7 years and before that, only on extremely rare occasions. I don't consider myself transgender but I DO feel transgender in a dress, I honestly feel like a MAN wearing a dress and it's not something I enjoy doing, it's a little humiliating.

I don't like dressing in extremely feminine clothing, ever, so I'm not really gender-fluid in this regard. I do dress like a woman, I guess a more neutral but still feminine woman. I do wear a lot of black but I don't mind color. I like tight, form-fitting clothing that shows off my body and I have long hair that I like to wear straight and styled. I look like a straight woman for all intents and purposes, but I absolutely feel male on the inside. Not strongly so, just like an androgynous male.

I don't know why this doesn't really bother me. I do feel like I'm playing dress up everyday, aways have. I feel like I'm sneaking into the girl's locker room when I'm around a gaggle of women. It's not a phase, I;ve been this way since I was a kid, as well, but...to me it just isn't a major concern.

I've met women like me and in fact, most of them were straight, also described other girls as "real girls", exactly like I had always felt. I don't hit it off extremely well with most women, I've even been accused of being male on another site I frequent that is comprised of about 99.5% women.

I guess my point is that I *am* a woman. Does it really matter if I don't feel like most women or bond with them especially well? It does, in some ways, but I don't think I should change myself because of this, you know? I like being a girl, since I'm so disassociated from my own gender even identity n some ways, I can see the perks of being female. I get away with certain things in life, I'm sorry feminists, but it's true. I know that we have our hardships but so do men, and I really don't have much to complain about as far as being a free woman in the United States is concerned. Other people may think otherwise, but I don't care.

So it just comes down to how important it is to you. I don't act a certain way. I've always been called weird, or "unique"-some people meant this in a good way and I'm sure others didn't but I'm not so different from everyone else that this concerns me. I do have an easier time making male friends, most of them even treat me like one of the boys, in a lot of ways. I don't really have masculine interests but I've earned the respect of many men in the past and have formed very close, non-sexual relstionships with them that meant a lot to me, they just accepted me the way I am.

I would also like to be acknowledged as male, some days, lie you describe, but I guess that I do *act* like male, most of the time, and people who know me well really don't treat me like a woman. They just treat me like a person because that's how I treat them.

So, my advice is to just do your thing and to try not to be too concerned about how it all appears to people on the outside. You can form many different types of bonds with many different people, who may all appreciate you for different reasons and none of those reasons really *need* to be about how you express your identity on the outside. They can be, if you want them to be, it's not like there's anything wrong with that, I just think there are a lot of people who feel like you and that it would be beneficial to explore who you are on the inside without really thinking about how it looks on the outside for while.

It really helped me to figure things out. I was also extremely confused about who and WHAT the eff I was until I was 19 or so.

Just do what you feel is right and you will attract people who sense who you are n the inside and will appreciate for you that. If expressing your gender in different ways on the outside is very important to you, do that too, but try not let it cause you a great deal of stress. You can be whoever you want without altering all of this, in my opinion.

4. ToTheCeilingFan

Omigosh that WAS a long post. :slight_smile: I'm sorry, it sounds like you're going through a ton of stuff right now and it's all very confusing. I'm not sure how much help I'll be able to offer, since I'm struggling with the same thing right now and I have no idea what it means or how to deal with it. I know that I like girls, but sometimes I feel more innately male than female. I wear boxers whenever possible and when I'm home alone I often bind and cross dress. However, since I'm sometimes completely content being female, I don't really know what I am or what I should do about it. While my parents have taken my liking girls pretty well, I don't think they'd be thrilled with my coming out as genderqueer. So for now, I'm keeping that part of me a secret.
    Honestly from what you've said, it sounds like your parents would be relatively accepting of your genderfluidity. Since you identify more as male than female, it will probably be necessary for you to come out at some point. I wouldn't rush it--take your time and tell them when you feel ready, and not before. There's some great information on the PFLAG website that can help clear up any misconceptions they may have about gender and sexuality.
    Good luck and I hope you figure everything out!(*hug*)

5. Hexagon

I've noticed people seem to have a suprising acceptance of my transsexuality. Mostly, they just weren't suprised, but most people have been really good. Your parents sound really accepting, and if you decide to come out to them they'll probably be great. As CeilingFan said, you'll probably have to come out sometime if you want to be presenting male most of the time.

I have some advice that you didn't ask for: get a binder. Ace bandages and pretty much anything not designed for FTMs can really damage your breasts. (not that you are FTM, but the same principal applies).

As for your girlfriend, come out to her. If she takes it badly, or doesn't acknowledge the fact that you feel female sometimes, then end the relationship. But a relationship that makes a partner feel uncomfortable, and one in which a partner is hiding something funamental about themselves, is not healthy.

In my experience, though, society is not going to accept someone who keeps changing their gender. In their defence, it can get very confusing, and they have no way of telling what days you're feeling what. Perhaps you can just correct someone who uses the wrong name or pronoun but I expect this will be too much for their brains to handle. Society has a very strong concept of gender binary, and crossing it, or partially crossing it is one thing, but swapping every other day is probably more than it can handle. This is incredibly unfair, but there's really nothing you can do about this.

What I'd do is present really butch (as society accepts masculine women, but not femenine men), and dress more male when you want to, and more female when you want.

Good luck

6. Asmodeus Freija

Thank you for your responses, everyone!

I understand that it can get confusing for people when it comes to dealing with a genderfluid person, but I think, for me, it's less of an issue of being extremely offended when people refer to me in the wrong way, and more of an issue when they just treat me as a masculine girl and make it sound like... Hm, I dunno how to put it, exactly... I guess they make it sound like being genderfluid isn't a thing, like I'm supposed to be either a tomboy or a full-on FTM.

Like I mentioned in the OP, I don't get too upset when people address me in a way that doesn't happen to line up with what I'm feeling. I guess I'm just more after having my feelings respected, instead of brushed off as a phase, or a halfway point (wherein it's implied I'll eventually identify as a male 100% of the time). I just want to get to a point where, at the very least, I can dress up as a male and call myself one without being looked at strangely by, say, the members of my family.

I might be over-thinking this, but, as it is, I'm a very socially anxious person, so I worry a lot that if I act in a way that people don't really understand, they'll see me as even stranger than I already am, and they won't like me as much for it. Considering where I come from and who I hang out with, those fears might be totally unfounded, but I worry about things like that nonetheless.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to word things if I'm going to come out to anyone. I was thinking of starting with my mom, as she's really understanding and helpful most of the time, provided I can sit down with her somewhere (over breakfast is when we tend to talk to each other about things like that, when my sister is at school and we're hanging out on our own) and explain the situation properly. I want to bring up the subject of buying male clothes with her again so that we can segue into the gender conversation, but I need to figure out what to say, so I won't just get freaked out and start going "Oh no it's just for fun hahaha" again.

On that subject, Rubik, do you know where I can find a binder? Are they common, or more in specialty stores or something?

And again, thanks for everyone's thoughts on the topic. It's much easier to figure things out when I have so many opinions besides my own to read over.

7. Hexagon

I've got binders from two sites, Love Boat Shop and T-Kingdom but I believe they can also be bought from Underworks

Both of the places I've bought from are in Taiwan, but they do arrive, and I've had absolutely no customs problems so far. I think underworks are based in the US, but I'm not sure.

I've never seen one in a shop, or even at a pride festival.

Also, I think what your describing can also be called bi-gendered... if you wanted another word to explain it to people.

8. GayJay

snap! yours and my life and the way we feel are the same to a tee! Its weird my family and girlfriend are very alike yours. And i'm the same mostly feeling like a male and dressing like a male, binding, wearing boxers ect... but then still go out looking for a prom dress.
    Yeah it's super confusing and annoying. If my body could just decide it would be so much easier for me! But yeah reading this i just feel like i'm not totally weird and there re other people like me,and with support it is something i will overcome. our vast similar things made me feel less alone if you like. Just wanted to tell you that, hope you think the same.

9. Ianthe

People will find it very difficult if you expect them to have different names and pronouns for you at different times. It's because you are the same person all the time, no matter what your gender is doing, and referring to the same person in a completely different way on Tuesday than you did on Monday is hard for people to do consistently.

If your gender expression is vastly different in your different presentations, it will be easier for them. If they have to look closely to tell the difference, it will be almost impossible.

For now, though, you should go ahead and get the men's clothes you want, and wear them when you feel like it. If your mother asks you, just tell her that you are queer, and sometimes you want to wear men's clothes, and you think it's better if you just do it rather than being bothered by it all the time.

I gotta say though--about the finger ratio thing? Yeah, I have the masculinized finger ratio, and I am so, sooooo femme. I couldn't pull off butch if I practiced for a year. People tend to not think I'm a lesbian even when I have told them. And I certainly don't feel male or masculine. Some lesbians tell me that I'm the girliest lesbian they've ever met.

The internal sense of masculinity, the finger ratio thing, and a sexual orientation towards women appear to all caused be by the influence of androgens during prenatal development. Because of that, you will see them correlate higher than just by chance. But you will also see them separately, because they are the result of androgens influencing different parts of development.

Not all lesbians feel masculine inside, and not all female-bodied people who feel masculine are attracted to women. Likewise, the finger ratio can present together with either trait or separate from them both.

The most we can say is that the presence of any one of these traits makes either of the others more likely than in the general population. Having the finger ratio does not make you more masculine, or a lesbian.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with getting a chest binder. I got one from underworks. It has helped me when I am having my more masculine days.

I feel the same as you in a lot of ways. I seem to switch between genders day to day. I also have days where I feel like I am inbetween both genders. I have learned to just go with the flow. I usually stay more on the masculine side, even when I feel female. Over time, I have learned to go with the flow.

11. Ianthe

Oh, I forgot to say what I was going to about the binder.

Please, please get a real binder, and do not injure yourself with the ace bandages. They will cause lots of problems.

Can anyone suggest less damaging alternatives for the interim until the binder is purchased? I think I recall a method involving two sports bras, one worn backwards on top of the other. But I can't remember how safe that one was.

In any case, please stop using the ace bandages--they will hurt you. Over time they will weaken your muscles and deform your ribcage, and you will have breathing problems all the time, even when you have the bandages off. They are not a good method of binding.

12. Deaf Not Blind

yeah, i have met a lesbian who wanted me to be lesbian, and insisted i was a she...and I am transgender.
    it sucks.

ever since i got my binder from Loveboat, i aint worn any sports bras. i wear it daily, even to church. i don't have boxers, i wear briefs, cool ones too! :slight_smile: no white ones. but i am not so girly like most you here, so idk how much i can say will help. i just can't wear a dress or even my coats or heck anything i got outta a girls section now...it feels like i am sinning, like i am trying to act like a female and i am not, and l have always noticed a strange boy in drag thing when i wore a dress all my life. when i first put on all menswear, i wrote on EC how i stared at myself like maybe 10 min, as i finally saw myself normal, not in theatric attire.
    if i get to perform in a play in university, i would have no problem playing the part of a female, and likely i would ham it up and be really annoying really feminine! haha! but i think all the clothes i own will have to go away. :frowning2: no sisters to give them too either! such a waste.
    that is what i get for not allowing myself to even think about that i am not a straight girl...if only somebody had told me about transgenderism existing as a kid, i would not have felt so guilty and ashamed.

#12 Deaf Not Blind, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can agree with a lot of what you said here. I wear briefs now too, they are so comfortable!! I hate going into the girls section at stores. Whenever I go into the women's section at stores, I am pretty much being pushed into there with my mom. I feel like I don't belong there. I feel like I am an outsider. When I go into the men's section, I feel much more at home. I also wear my binder everyday now. I remember the feeling that I had when I first put it on... it was a wonderful feeling.

All that being said, I am still ok being considered female. I really don't care if I am considered male or female. I have people mess up pronouns all the time, but I don't really care. That's why I call myself pangender. I really am a mix of a bit of all 3 (m/f/a).

I also have days where I feel more feminine than other days. That being said, it's not like I wear makeup and a dress. (I really hate dresses.) I usually wear more female cut jeans and and female cut t-shirts.

#13 BradThePug, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  14. Harlequin

@OP: Okay, it's eerie, but I feel almost exactly the way you're feeling. I'm bio female, but I also identify as genderfluid, except a bit more on the male side than you. I personally tend to slide around in the range of 49% - 85% male, so I rarely want to be perceived as completely female, even then I can't be put into a dress for my life.

I understand exactly what you mean when you say you want people to call you Eli some days and Elizabeth other days. I feel the exact same way, but didn't know how to say it... some days I'd rather be my more feminine "persona" and other days my heavily masculine one, and ideally my pronouns and name would change to match. Since we're talking about ideals here, ideally, I'd like to be able to switch at the press of a button from a stereotypically female body to a stereotypically male one, but instead I'm stuck in an androgynous body that gets more female by the day. (Dammit, puberty!)

Unfortunately I'm a bit less lucky than you in the parents area (I'm not allowed to get guy stuff) but your mom does sound really supportive. Perhaps you could sit her down and explain genderqueerness to her? You might need to explain the gender spectrum first, but from what you said she seems to be pretty open. If possible, once your family is cool with your true self, you'll feel a lot better - and you then have the freedom to wear and look like anything you want.