1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So confused... gender identity and a guy????

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MommaFrog, Nov 30, 2011.

1. MommaFrog

So, I would normally consider myself a Kinsey 4 or 5… I love looking at a sexy man, love the look of abs, big muscly arms, tan, all that good stuff.

But I have a less than glamorous past with my ex including some sexual abuse, and that makes me extremely leery of men. I have always been attracted to women and since leaving my ex, I have focused mainly on women.

All this said, I find myself strangely attracted to a guy.

He’s well aware of the issues I am currently having, aware of my past, super sweet, older (4 years), about to be out of college, no kids, handsome (but not in the model kind of way)….

I find myself wanting to talk to him more and more and actually attracted to him. I have even TOLD him this, he likes me a lot, but he wants me to be sure before / if we get into a relationship…

On top of this, I’m fairly certain I am bi-gendered. I have feminine and masculine days, and I’m not sure how to handle this…

So, thoughts, feelings, and ideas?

2. Katelynn

My advice is just focus on how you feel about him & dont worry so much about the gender stuff. Love is love, attraction is atraction & if you both like each other, then why not date? But I do think he is right to say that you should give yourself some time to sort things out before you do anything. It would suck if you both like each other & then things didnt work out...

3. J Snow

Hey Liz =D

I know I already gave you what advice I could, but I just wanted to pop in and show my support. If he's a good guy then you should go for it as long as you are open and honest about my concerns. Also, I totally understand the gender confusion. Good luck!!! (*hug*)

4. MommaFrog

Due to my past, men in general usually make me un-easy except for family... I'm worried that if he tried to kiss me or something and it started developing into something more I would wig out or something...

I'm totally not stuck on gender just to be stuck on it, but more having issues getting over my fear of men...

5. seeksanctuary

I would just allow yourself to be.

You're young. You've had crappy experiences. I think the best option right now would be to have fun, explore who you are, figure out what you want from life... and just let the rest of it fall into place as it will. See a hot guy? Check him out. Feel attracted to a woman? Embrace it. Eventually you'll get some sort of idea on preference, but you don't HAVE to know right now. You just have to recover, heal and grow.

Personally, I would go slow on a relationship. I too have been exploring a relationship with someone, and you know that I just got out of one... just take it slow, see what comes from it. Don't rush into anything serious yet. And explain your worries to him; if you worry you'd wig out if he tried to kiss you, talk to him about it and explain that it's not him, you just were hurt and have to work past that hurt. A good person will understand that.

As for the gender issue, well, nothing wrong with being bigendered. :grin:

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think just take it day by day, as long as he is aware of your past and your issues and it sounds like he is being respectful, then just take it really steady and see how it goes, but love it love and if you like him you should allow yourself to enjoy that.

7. just b urself

i agree with everyone else and i understand that ur hurt and have bad experiences.i too have had horrible experiences but just explain things to him and take it very slowly.

8. Ianthe

He sounds like a really good guy, and it sounds like you really like him.

Have you had any therapy at all to deal with what you went through with your ex? A good therapist might have strategies for you and a partner to deal with it when things come up.

I don't think you should let what your ex did to you prevent you from having a new relationship with a great guy you really like. That would be terrible.

If the only thing stopping you from having a relationship with this guy is trauma inflicted on you by someone else, then I think you should go out with him and seek therapy for the trauma. If he'd be willing to see the counselor with you, that might be good, too--the therapist can help you communicate with each other, and help him to know how to respond if you do "wig out." And he would definitely have to be willing to take it really slow--but it sounds like he is.

It seems to me like you are not unsure about him at all, really--just about yourself.

But I think it's a horrible idea to let what your ex did with you permanently prevent you from dating men. If it's still interfering with your life in that way, it would be a really good idea to do something about it.

9. MommaFrog

He is, and I really do

I am in therapy, I go every Tuesday night to a group therapy, and I have scattered individual therapy. I'm also on anxiety and depression medication.

He has been really tolerant and understanding about everything. I'm not sure about having him come to a few sessions with me, I will talk to my therapists about it tho.

This is 100% True. I'm scared, and I've told him so. He really wants there to be something between us, as do I, and he knows what I have been through. I think he's just getting frustrated because its so hard for him to understand, but he is trying. I haven't been in a healthy relationship in many years, mostly just in my prison of a Marriage....

You are right, I shouldn't let one "bad apple" spoil my feelings about the entire male gender. Its just hard to let go what he did to me...

---------- Post added 5th Dec 2011 at 08:04 AM ----------

I have explained it, and he says he understands, but you really can't unless you've been thru it. He does, however, seem to be willing to work with me, which is important...

---------- Post added 5th Dec 2011 at 08:07 AM ----------

He is being very respectful, it's just hard for him to know what to say, or what not to say... He gets frustrated because I seem to freak out about little things, like him saying he wants me to come over, and bring my daughter... I have to explain to him WHY what he said bothered me and usually his reaction is "I would never hurt you, or her. I am not -insert Ex's name here- and I didn't mean anything by it. We will do whatever makes you comfortable"

10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well sounds like you are both going about it in the right way, you by being open, explaining when something makes you feel uncomfortable and why (even though its not his fault) and he works around it.