1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transition - Questions/Fears About Moving Out

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by squally89, Apr 5, 2012.

1. squally89

I am 22 and I never moved out before (except this one time when my family wasn't okay about me being gay, but I moved back after a month so I don't count that as moving out) and I am just curious to know what I need to be prepared for.

Things I know
    1.) Money - But how much is enough? My guess is I need at least 10K of saving before I can live alone and pay rent etc.
    2.) Job - I work for a client in Montreal at the moment and pursuing my real estate license. By May I will have a clearer picture of what is going on with my career.
    3.) Roommate vs No Roommate - I been offered to live with a good friend, but is it best to live alone or with someone?

Challenges I am working on
    1.) Food - I love having warm food when I get home....yes very immature of me yes...
    2.) Little things...doing laundry at a sketchy basement or in public :eek:
    3.) The mentality - "I can always go home to eat dinner"...good or bad?

My brother tells me if I really want to "move out" then I should move to somewhere FAR away. If I only move to somewhere else in the city is not actually moving out according to him. Hes so extreme. He goes on telling me the list above I can simulate that at home already, but I choose not to.

What are people's experience about moving out or who are in the same boat as I am - getting ready for this transition.

2. Leora

I mean, this is just a small thing, but you could get a slow-cooker if you like having hot food ready for when you get home. Prep it in the morning, put it in the slow-cooker, it's ready when you get home. :slight_smile:

3. DhammaGamer

You are taking this way too serious lol
    If you have a job and can pay your bills off your regular paycheck you don't need $10,000 just to move into your own place. And learning to enjoy lviing away from your folks is a part of growing up. I don't understand the logic that you need to move far away in order to move out. That doesn't even make sense.

I'd suggest getting a roommate for your first place. It will help with the bills and you willhave someone to talk to and hang out with at home.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your brother is full of it. You shouldn't feel any pressure to move far away if you don't want to. Being on your own is having your own place (or a place you share with a friend or roommate), buying your own food, paying your own bills, etc.

I know people that have moved out successfully with waaaaaaaaay less than $10,000, but it depends on how quickly you'll be able to have a good job. As long as you have decent income and some money to cover unexpected expenses, you should be fine.

As far as housing, it really depends on you. I know many people that prefer some sort of roommate or group housing arrangement, because that way they aren't coming home to an empty house. But I know plenty of others that like having their privacy. It can be nice, early on, to have a roommate or two because it helps with developing a network of friends, particularly if you're moving into a new town, but again, it's totally a personal choice.

And many people who move out go home frequently at first, so don't feel bad about that. It's a transition for most people, not a black-or-white thing.