1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexuality Changes A Lot?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by secretguyX, Apr 12, 2012.

1. secretguyX

So, my attractions seem to change, a lot. I've went from only liking guys, to liking both genders, to only liking girls, to liking both genders, to only liking girls, to liking guys more than girls but still girls (currently) - all in the past 2 years. I don't get why my feelings change so much.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's especially common when you're in your early teens. It's a bit like getting to the all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant for the first time - everything looks good. :slight_smile: But as we get older, it seems our sexualities tend to settle down more. Even those with fluid sexualities tend to see them "drift around" rather than dart between extremes. For now, just assume you're bisexual. If you favor one gender over the other at any given point, that's fine - just focus on that one for now, and don't be surprised if your interest in the other comes back somewhere down the road. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Chandra

There are different reasons why this could happen. Some people feel that their sexuality is fluid - that they easily transition from being attracted to one gender, to another, or to both, as you describe. It could also a be a part of the process you are going through as you become more comfortable with your sexual identity, and it could settle down after a while. Another possibility is that you are bisexual, and it's simply that at certain times, you are only encountering people of one gender or the other that happen to attract you.

At any rate, your experiences are normal - I won't say that everybody goes through what you're describing, but I have heard of many who have.

4. I don't really have much to say, as the previous posters have covered it all. I just wanted to say that I experience this as well. Three weeks ago, I was attracted mostly to girls, and now I'm all about the guys. I find that (sometimes) when I have a female crush, I tend to appreciate the female body more, and vice versa with males.

5. secretguyX

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

I do have a female crush at the moment (it's been over a year since I've really liked a guy, more than just a small crush). But it could be that I've been talking to more guys recently, so maybe that's why my feelings have changed again. They do change to the extreme though. Last week I would've considered myself 95% gay 5% straight, and this week it's more like 15% gay 75% straight (with the exception of the girl I like).

6. Noir

I agree, it'll probably settle down once you get a little older. I have an older friend who I've known for years and, frankly, she's a sexual yo-yo much in the same way as you. She could never make up her mind if she was straight, lesbian, bi, or just panromantic. She's a very strong-willed individual who currently has a boyfriend, but before him it was a girl she was crazy about and it doesn't really bother her. I wouldn't worry too much, just give yourself time to get a feel for what kinds of people you like before thinking about a label. In my personal opinion, it doesn't really matter anyway. Just be yourself!

7. Mitch

Mitch Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    For the past 2 years I've been going through 100% exactly as you've described, I think chip and Lex said it the best. Wait 10 years, and it may settle down to a conclusion.

Cheers.

8. timo

Although the previous posters said pretty much everything, I'd like to add my own story, just to show that what you're going through is not that uncommon :icon_bigg I went from straight to bi to gay to bi to asexual to gay... and right now, after all the drifting around, I think I've found my spot :grin: though I'm not sure at all that this is the final stop for me, it could still change. All I know is that I'm into guys and... well we'll see :grin:

9. Well, I know how you feel. I can't say that my sexuality fluctuates that much, but there are days when I like guys more and days when I like girls more. I've heard it becomes more constant as you get older, but as of now, just go with whatever. As long as you're happy, you're good :slight_smile:

10. BlissfullyAware

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You sound a lot like me, when I first got into my teens I found myself switching between gender preferences randomly and drastically, as I got into high school I found myself still experiencing swings but not as often (maybe slow transitions over a month or two) and never as far a transition as the last one.

I'm in college now and I went from being really into girls one semester, back to 50/50 the next, and now im like 60ish/40ish towards guys a year later. My best advice is never to label yourself and go with what makes you happy even if it didn't last year or even last week, I'm sure with what people are saying above us we'll both settle into something eventually

11. Lewnatic

The pressure to have to label sexuality makes things very difficult in understanding what you like. If labels didn't exist...well, everything would seem less complicated. Sexuality does seem to settle down more as you get older. I'm still jumping up and down genders, liking one more one day and the other more the next, but I try not to worry about it. As long as I meet someone and I'm happy...that's all I care about.