1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans 1st small steps to finding out

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Deaf Not Blind, May 4, 2012.

1. Deaf Not Blind

i didn't know where to begin. i had to guess. i thought maybe sharing advice from our own successes and mistakes here can help others later too.

1st steps to finding out if i am trans are not big ones, not obvious, not drastic. they are for myself, not for others. it was and is important for me to not seem out yet, but take a little chance.

for clothing of ftm or mtf, it seems wise to start with underwear. buying it in a store also feels scary. if you did, maybe tell about it. i bought online, a store with no shipping fee, and carefully figured out my size. lucky me, correct size!

i am a ftm. :slight_smile: i didn't want big boxers, i am not used to that, i need small changes. also, i wanted real mens briefs, not boys not lesbian-girl's boyish ones. i am an adult, and not a lesbian, not even close. so since i also didn't want anyone in my dorm to see me washing tidy whities, i searched for "feminine" colors in mens underwear.

i ended up with Diesel briefs. they are shockingly perfect. size medium fits me as i am a 32 waist. i lucked out here. they don't rollup, don't dig in, they hit every place just where it should and cover my rump. i don't know why girls stuff aint made this way! these are great! i love them! they come in every possible color combo imaginable: black or white trim on black, hot pink, rainbow, lilac, pastel blue, bright green, yellow, etc. so not only from a distance do i think i may be able to "pass" these as "girls" underwear from color, but they are mens and fit better than any i have ever had. I'm not going back now even if i were to get married to a man, he'd just have to live with it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: problem: on sale cheapest is $18 a pair. but they are sturdy, so I'm going to get many pairs to last all year.

shoes to pass or feel better: keens or vans. they make both genders and many sizes. find comfy ones for your feet, get a color that fits your personality. vans are inexpensive, like converse. but keens are costly, because they are made ergonomic, your feet will love them. i just happen to have feet that only can wear mens width, lucky me. :wink: but if you are narrower, they make boys too.

jeans: this should be trickier. slim, bootcut, wider leg? it makes a difference the cut and brand. i would like people with different body types to tell what works on them. i really need 32 x 30, 31 is too squished, even though tight jeans look nice i don't like pain. i think too baggy jeans on me look bigger in butt, i don't like. straight leg is okay. Departed is a brand that has cool pockets, not too big on some styles, so you can "pass" them as not mens even though they are built mens. they fit me good too, hit on top of my hipbone, crotch is perfect with or without packer. i just don't want my briefs to show, I'm not that kind of guy, so i either tuck in my shirt or have one long enough to be sure it don't show.

shorts: i got cool cotton colored plaid, blues,blacks or greys, on white, by Southpole at JCPenny. no issues buying or returning there. only $15 a pair so i got two. they are not too obviously male, even though cut and length obviously not in style for ladies. size 20 fits me perfect. i would liked an inch more in crotch, but i just pull a tad when sitting. they look great in profile or straight on, make my hips and behind more boyish. they come with black woven cotton belt, also gender neutral and works great too.

for shirts, binders, jackets, coats, hats, belts, socks...or mtf stuff...i will see what others say. i will add more later!

2. Deaf Not Blind

Here are a few links to good places to get mens briefs online:

USA these 2 have no shipping;

Diesel Fresh and Bright Blade Brief 00CG3HWOW - Free Shipping at Freshpair.com

mens diesel briefs, Clothing, Men at 6pm.com underwear/CKvXARDT1wHAAQLiAgMYAQI.zso?t=diesel+briefs

I will post other links too.

Please feel free to leave comment if you want me to post more, because I see a lot have read this but I don't know if it is useful or not.

For UK:
    http://www.figleaves.com/us/nsf/qwi...oductcolour=&bboost=&gender=&rating=undefined