1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legal Name and Gender vs. Preferred Name and Gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Farouche, May 23, 2012.

1. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay, so any day now I'm going to start looking for a job. I am out as genderqueer to almost everyone I know, and I have no intention of letting my employers think I'm female. The question is, how do I tell them I'm not? Is genderqueerness a qualification that belongs on a resume? My legal name is definitely feminine. I could use my preferred name, but at some point they will want to see records or certificates, and my paperwork all has my legal name on it.

I would like to leave my gender ambiguous until and unless they ask, but that doesn't work either, because I have a voice like a little girl. As soon as they meet me or talk to me on the phone, they assume I'm female.

Will people reject my job application just because I'm genderqueer? (I live in Canada, where there are non-discrimination laws about sex and sexual orentation but not, as far as I know, about gender.)

Changing my legal name is a nuisance and costs money. I don't know whether changing my legal gender is even possible.

2. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For all legal purposes, I would say use your real name. Having a fake name on a resume wouldn't look good, but on the plus side it isn't uncommon for a male to have a feminine name now, so there could be no confusion, granted I don't know your name. And if there are laws that protect you then you shouldn't be fired for it, which is good. But I guess if you just don't want to deal with the hassle then you could just put cut and dry, male or female, unless you were to check both boxes. But untimely it is your decision.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say that you're probably required to put your legal name on the application. By all means feel free to note preferred name. This will let HR or the hiring manager know that sex discrimination law may apply even if gender discrimination is not specifically codified, but discrimination in hiring is difficult to prove.

If you leave it off, you'll have to wait until the end of the interview (or during, if you're misgendered) to make them aware that you are transgender. Well-trained interview panels will not ask inappropriate questions about gender or sexuality, as these kinds of questions expose them to discrimination lawsuits.

I would consult a Canadian legal professional. This is not legal advice.

#3 Pret Allez, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  4. King

King Guest

You can always leave your legal name, but tell them your preferred name when you meet them and if somebody says "Show her around" tell them you're GQ. :slight_smile:
    Luckily, we both live in Canada, so it's a very open country. Your employers should be open to the idea :slight_smile: Good luck! x

5. Young Anonymous

If you're over 18, have you ever thought of changing your legal name? Then you wouldn't have to deal with this sort of thing at all.

6. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to try putting my preferred name on my resume, but letting people know my legal name at some point before they interview me. Then I can mention my genderqueerness briefly, just to explain the different names, and hopefully they'll be okay with that. Luckily there's no great hurry for me to find a new job, so I can try this and see what the response is.

I am thinking about changing my legal name, but that process seems like even more hassle than having two names. I might change it eventually.

7. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe some/most provinces, and to some degree federally, have some inclusion for gender identity. Saskatchewan does, anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: