1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helping people understand trans

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CrucioPureblood, Jul 20, 2012.

1. CrucioPureblood

Out Status:
    All but family
    I've recently 'come out' as trans at school, but most people just don't understand what I'm saying to them. They say things like, I'm not a guy, because I don't have a male body. Or that if you're born a girl, then you're a girl, you can't change it. I know that what they're saying isn't true, but I don't know what I can say or do to make them realise that too. I've told them that I was just born in the wrong body, but it doesn't seem to make a difference, they still just think I'm being stupid, or crazy. I just want to be able to help them understand, and I don't know how. What am I supposed to say? How do I make them understand how I feel?

:help:

2. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Sadly, being your age, I know that this is something most 14 year olds can't quite grasp without having exposure. Hopefully in time they'll get used to the idea, I did after joining the site. I'm no expert on trans stuff, but I think the best you can do is educate them, and be patient. I'll leave what you actually tell them to posters with more experience, but I thought i'd check how they reacted, was it generally positive? It doesn't sound like you've gotten a great deal of hate, just a lack of understanding really. That's good, I suppose.

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The explanation that helped me get transsexualism was, "a man's brain in a woman's body, or a woman's brain in a man's body". I don't know if that will help you explain it to your friends, but I wish you all the best of luck in trying to help your friends understand this.

4. PurpleCrab

5. Noir

I've explained it as "someone who feels their soul was born into a body with the wrong gender," though of course this is just my rephrasing. Once one of my friends got it into her head that she wanted a sex change operation, and she asked my opinion on it, so I told her it's all the same to me as long as it's what the person wants and they're sure that they're completely dissatisfied with the gender they were born with. I was just skeptic in her case because it was so sudden and out of the blue to me, so it seemed just on a whim.

I agree, educate them and be patient. There will always be the thick-headed ones who will never truly understand :dry: but you'd be amazed how many allies you get on your side after a short time! :icon_bigg Best of luck! :thumbsup: