1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans and Dancing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PurpleDinosaur, Jul 26, 2012.

1. PurpleDinosaur

So, all my life I've wanted to do dance but I never had time because I was doing other sports and activities. Anyway, this school year I have the opportunity to start dance with my roommate who is like my sister. The thing is there are very specific and enforced gender roles in dance (I've done gymnastics all my life by the way so I won't be at a rookie level, I'll also be in competitions and stuff).
    I'm pre-everything but I obviously don't want to automatically be female in the studio, i still want to pass and be read as male...and advice?

2. Lad123

I don't have much knowledge on dance but can't you just ask your teacher that you want to dance in the male roles? If you explain that you are transgender then maybe he/she will be understanding.

3. seeksanctuary

You ARE male. Dance in the male roles. Don't budge on that, regardless of how people "read" you.

4. Curly

^ Agree :thumbsup: