1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting in touch with the trans community

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by J Snow, Aug 6, 2012.

1. J Snow

So, this thread may be a little something different from the typical S&A threads. I'm not really looking for advice per se. I'm just kind of updating what's going on with my trans issues and what not. I've actually in the last week started meeting with a number of trans people and its really quite exciting for me.

So, I just got back from meeting with a MtF individual I've been talking to for a while online and through texts. They've been on HRT for 2 years but still have to be in full time boy mode for the moment because they are living with family. We met at Walmart and we just sat in the parking lot and talked for like 5 hours.

I am literally just blown away by how much I could relate to this person. I mean, like every single little individual thing we talked about I could relate to, from how we feel about sex, to what we find attractive, I mean everything we talked together was exactly how I've felt for years. It feels like its reaffirming what I already know to be true, and for the first time in a long time I feel excited about life.

Plus they told me that they have the same health insurance as me and it has covered their transition, which I didn't think was possible since my mom got it through a Catholic organization. Now I'm all paranoid that we might have a different provider because my mom got a new job, but I never thought there was a chance in hell I could possibly be covered for it.

I've also been talking to another trans woman who convinced me to got to a transgender support group last week. Honestly I enjoyed talking to the people one on one after the group and during breaks more than I did the group itself, but it feels like a big step, and its nice to really feel like I'm becoming a part of the community. And if I got some clothes and stuff I could dress during the meetings.

Anyway, I thought it might be nice to post some positivity for a change. I'm feeling hopeful about the future for once, and I just wanted to share.

2. Romi

Reading this was really inspiring and I'm very happy for you that you're feeling excited about life. Yeah, life has its ups and downs, but it's totally worth being excited for. So this is all really great news to hear. I'll be puling for you all the way, being trans myself. And I can completely relate.

One of the most special people in life was someone else who is always trans. They in the same category as I am and I can remember the day we met, talked, and admitted everything...It was like the world became instantly ten times brighter. Everything felt wonderful and light and airy. It was like there was still hope, still a chance for me in this world. We have became very fast friends since then and we're able to support one another because we truly understand what the other thinks, feels, and is going through. It's amazing. And I'm so glad you found someone to share that with.

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will read this and smile.

3. J Snow

Thank you =)

I'm feeling really really motivated after the support group and meeting this person. I've been looking up my insurance provider's policy on covering transition and really trying to make an actual decision on a name and stuff. I'm just actually starting to get excited like this is something I could do instead of something I'll never be able to have.

But I'm still really worried about the finances. I used to have Blue Cross Blue Shield which I know covered my friend's transition, but now I have United Healthcare. I looked it up and it seemed like they cover actual doctor visits, therapy, and medication that is administered at a doctor's appointment. However it said it doesn't cover home oral hormones or injections... I think. I had a hard time following it and it seemed to contradict itself a couple times...

4. Romi

Hmm...I know calling an insurance company seems a daunting and tedious task, but it's always an important one concerning transition. Because you need to know exactly what you can and can't count on the insurance company for. So if you're having difficulty figuring it out, or if it seems too contradictory enough to confuse you even a little...I would definitely call the company and ask them point blank if they cover the things you will need. If not, there are definitely ways to still manage financially. But those can be worried over if and when you discover you need to worry over them. I'm wishing you the best luck with the insurance.

5. angiemari

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so happy for you. It's so nice to hear how things are going great for you it was really nice reading your story. I hope all the insurance stuff works out. I have a son who I think is going to come to me one day and say he's transgendered. I know he's really young right now but I just have this feeling and I really hope that he can be as in a good place as you are if I'm right.

6. J Snow

Well, I'm not really in a good place at all, but I would be if I had accepting parents like you =) My parents won't even acknowledge me being gay...

Well, I'm trying to keep this away from the parents until I'm out of college (should be about another year). So I'm afraid to call and ask directly because it might get back to them =/

7. seeksanctuary

Hang in there. I'm glad things seem to be looking up for you!