1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ftm trans at Christian college

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Myra48, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Myra48

So I've recently realized/accepted that I am a transgender guy. It's so exciting to say that, but on the other hand it's scary. Tomorrow I'm moving into a very conservative Christian college. I like girls, so to them that's wrong and Im ftm. I don't know what to do. I desperately want a binder but I'm afraid that somebody will find it. I also want to get guys jeans, and boxers. Also I know a few people there from a Christian high school, I don't want them seeing me like this. Another thing that I want to do is see a gender therapist, but there's absolutely no way I can do that. The school is about 40 miles out of Chicago, but I don't have a car, or money to pay for it. Plus it would be pointless to go to therapy. I want to be on testosterone but I can't until I leave Judson
    I guess I'm just wondering what you would do, any advise you may have is greatly appreciated.
    Btw, I want to change my name to shayne :slight_smile:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Shayne :slight_smile:

Well I looked into the school a little bit, and I think you're right to be a little skeptical of how accepting your college will be. Having spent some time looking into this exact issue in the past for my own reasons, it seems like the university is probably not one that, on an institutional level, will be terribly supportive of you as transgender. However, it's not all bad, as I notice they do at least include sexual orientation in their list of minority groups protected against discrimination and hate crimes - so in some (admittedly very limited) cases, they may have your back. They're also, however, the kind of school that "differentiates between homosexual orientations and homosexual acts" - which is basically code for, "you can be gay as long as you're not." As a student, though, they'll probably be more forgiving of you - after all, you're paying tuition.

I would suggest looking around the campus and seeing if you can find supportive individuals - for example, do they have a gender studies department or program? If so, does anyone teach classes on sexuality? Any professors that do would be people you might want to meet at some point. Also, find out if they have a "safe zone" program - if they do, that will be a really good sign. And definitely start feeling out fellow students - you won't be the only one nervous about going there and feeling like you don't fit because of being trans or gay. Even feeling out the local community beyond the college might be worth some effort. The more you network, the easier it will be for you.