1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender confused

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by castiel, Oct 15, 2012.

1. castiel

I've been confused about my gender for a long time and I just wanted to write it somewhere

I'm born female but for a couple of years now I've been thinking about being male and idek
    I was thinking about being gender fluid but honestly, can you be gender fluid and not want to be? I can't imagine having to explain it to people and alternating gender. It would be so much easier if I could just settle on a gender. It's stressing me out.

sigh I don't know I'm just rambling. I'm not even sure if I'm posting this in the right area.

2. J Snow

I would say yes. Gender identity is not a choice just in the way that sexual orientation is not a choice. Lots of people find out they are trans or gay and don't want to be so they suppress it, so in that way I think its very possible to be gender fluid and not want to be.

I know what you mean. Despite the hardships associated with being transsexual, I admit that I believe it's easier than possessing a more androgynous or gender neutral identity. In fact I have known people who after transitioning figured out there were genderqueer/bigender, and that is a legitimate fear of mine, that it could happen to me too. I logically don't think that's the case, but I tend to over think things.

You haven't really said anything as to why you feel you are transsexual/genderfluid, so I can't really give my opinion on either of those, but I think you should speak with a therapist. These are obviously valid feelings if they are effecting you enough to be posting here about it. Do yourself a favor and talk to a mental health professional about these feelings.

I hope you find the answers your looking for, and I'm always here if you need someone to talk to (*hug*)

3. Haley M

Haley M Guest

I think it is possible to be gender fluid and not want to be. I think I may have started out that way because I was comfortable both ways. As time went on I became less comfortable as a male and more comfortable when acting/dressing as a female. Bottom line is things change. Talking to a therapist could definitely help but you do not need to committ to something right away. Explore yourself and think about it. In the mean time, there is absolutely nothing bad about being gender fluid. :slight_smile:

4. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello!!

Your words seem sad. Now you're with friends, so please don't be sad.

You said you've been thinking about being a male for a couple years. On your status says you're 15, that would make you started thinking that at 13.

I have a transgender friend, FtM, and he says he realized his nature around that age (12-13 years old). Don't know if that's an idicator at all, but it seems to me that you may be transgeder.

I say that you should considerate taking J Snow's counsel, but in the meanwhile, ask youself "why". I mean: why you feel you want to be a male? why you feel you don't want to be a female?, and any other "why"s you can think of.

When I was ... forced ... to admit to myself I was transgender, those questions surely helped me.

I hope I could be of any help, :slight_smile:(*hug*)

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gender identity is not something that you can choose. I know that I did not choose to be pangender. It's something that I have learned to live with, and a part of me that I have learned to love.

I can understand your concern with having to explain to people about being gender fluid. I've been lucky, most people just know that I am just me. I've had some people ask me why I dress like a guy sometimes and why I don't "act like a female". I just tell these people that I am who I am and if they have a problem with it, they can get over it.

6. castiel

Thanks for all the replies :slight_smile:

Why I think I'm genderfluid:
    Well first a thought I was a lesbian. Then I started realising that I feel like a want to be a guy not that I was just attracted to other girls. I've always just felt more comfortable shopping in the mens section and wears mens clothes. And it just always alternates. Like when I wear a dress, I feel like I'm crossdressing and when I wear guys clothes, it's the exact same feeling.
    I just feel ridiculous wearing women's clothes or going to the beach in my swimsuit. Sometimes I'm even confused when people refer to me as female. Like someone will call me a 'she' and it'll take me a moment to realise that they're talking about me.
    That wasn't very coherent, was it?

Anyway I'm going to start seeing a therapist soon for something else and maybe I'll try and squeeze this in as well. The therapist I'm going to see is about ADHD and I'll ask them if they do this sort of stuff as well, and if not, who I can go see.

But thank you so much to everyone who replied :slight_smile: It really all helps.