1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big step towards being openly Trans. Suggestions welcome.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MusicIsLife, Oct 18, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

Hey guys,

I am trying to go back to school full time, but the program I want to go into I am missing a lot of pre requisites. Near to my house is an adult education centre that caters to people who either never finished high school or need more pre recs for cegep (cegep is a long acronym for college, basically)

The thing is, I'm to the point now where I just can't be in the closet anymore. Because of this, I emailed the director of the centre last night telling them that I am trans and I want to be called by teachers by my chosen name and correct pronouns, but I am worried about discrimination and such. They said that they wouldnt mind meeting with me to discuss everything, and even though theyve been nice so far, I'm not exactly sure what to say to them.

Also, I just applied for a second job at a health food store and on the application I put "Mister" instead of "Madam" for the title, which is a big step for me. What to say to the health food people is also stumping me, assuming they call me back.

I just want to be able to tell them what I want (proper pronouns, chosen name, etc) without sounding douchey or demanding. I'm still too scared to come out at my current job though.

Any suggestions on what I could or should say would be great here.

2. Curly

Hey, good luck! It really is a big step.

I would suggest, well at least it has worked for me so far (even if it's super scary), is the be as neutral as possible. As it it is a daily, regular and not a big deal kind of thing. If you are confident, i find people are more likely to just accept it.

Congrats!