1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please? (Trans, orientation and religion)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Satellites, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Satellites

Hello all, I'm new here. And to be honest I kind of wish this heavy topic wasn't my first post here, but I kind of broke down over it today.
    So basically I finally came out as trans to my family and sort of got some peace over the whole idea of transitioning. I've been feeling pretty good about it for a while but fear came crashing back in.
    I'm a Christian, though I'm not sure where I stand on how literal the Bible is. But it's pretty important to me. And generally I feel alright with the whole 'God loves everyone' and 'anybody who asks for forgiveness gets forgiven' type mentality, but I'm also very aware that humans are very good at just believing what they want to believe.
    I'm just not sure if being trans and gay is gonna screw me over. It breaks my heart that it can't just be more clear cut. And before anybody suggests it, I can't (or won't) just walk away from my religious beliefs just because I'm afraid of it. And, to clarify, I do believe what I stated above, that it's all good in the forgiveness department. But I'm just so uncertain. My mom (who's usually pretty supportive...) was going on about how we could just 'control our urges' but the thought of a lifetime as a woman or of celibacy just breaks my heart. And it's not like I didn't spend my entire adolescence trying to be alright as a female.

Anyway, I'm really just hoping for insight. What do you guys think? Any insight into what the scriptures say?

(Also, let me just add that I don't mean any disrespect to people who aren't Christian! I'm completely cool with people having their own beliefs, I'd just really like to hear back on the Christian perspective. :slight_smile: )

#1 Satellites, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. Katelynn

First of all Satellites, welcome so much to EC!!! (*hug*) Im so glad you found us, I know youll find EC to be really supportive!

Second of all, I know exactly how you feel, Im Roman Catholic & trans & gay & I struggled with it pretty much my entire life. Im still RC, but honesty, I reconciled the fact that God is love & wants me to be happy with who I am AND that he made me this way for a reason. I tend to stick to the 10 Commandments & the New Testament, since the entire reason there is a New Testament is that God saw that there was a need for his Son to be wth us. As far as I can tell,, Jesus said love one another as I have loved you - & aside from the smackdown J-Dog put on the money-changers in the temple, he never had an unkind word or action regarding trans or gay people, not even a mention to my knowledge. So you know what, I think Jesus is cool with me being who I am, which means God probably is too. While I still very much dislike that Im trans & just wish Id been born my true gender, Ive told myself many, many times that sometimes God gives us tests in our lives to show us how strong we are, & that's what my transition & being true to myself regarding my beig a gay woman is - a test of my strength & my faith. There are hard days, but I make it thru. I also completely ignore Leviticus, it isnt teachings so much as laws sort of dropped in the Bible that really are largely ignored by most of society - lets face it, the same people quoting Leviticus & saying homosexuality iis a sin are the same people who have tattoos & eat pork, despite those both being outlawed by Leviticus as well, so its hard to put stock it that part of the Bible when people who use it to condemn others are violating themselves...

All that being said, dont walk away from your faith or God. What you are talking about s walking away from an organization, which is still really hard but you know what, there are churches that are LGBT friendly within RC, it just takes some looking around for them. Something Ive been telling myself for years is that a church is simply a building made of brick & drywall & mortar & electrical wire, etc., its an empty building. God is inside each & every one of us, so its only when there are people, or even one person, inside of a church that God is truly present inside that building. God is always with you & I dont think youre going to be screwed for being who you are. Not in the least. Bc my man Jesus said - love one another as I have loved you - he made that his one commandment & youll notice he didnt really leave exceptions or wiggle room on that one, and his actions towards others pretty much demonstrates how he wants us to treat each other.

Finally, consider this - homosexuality exists in like 400 species on earth. God in omnipotent. Im pretty sure if God didnt want or accept homosexuality that, as a supreme diety, He would have done something a LONG time ago about it. I think the fact homosexuality is so prevalent among so many species on earth is proof God hasnt got an issue with it, if he did, why allow it?

So thats THIS Roman Catholic' perspective, hope I didnt offend anyone & that I made a bit of sense!

Again, welcome so much to EC Satellites!!! :grin:

3. Satellites

@Katelynn
    Thanks so much for answering back!
    I agree with what you've said and I like how you put it! I had more or less come to terms with all this (or so I thought) so I was really devastated when all this doubt came rushing back in so easily. :/
    Again, thank you, really! I really needed to hear that from somebody. :slight_smile:

(Btw, love the Big Bang quote in your signature :wink: )

4. Katelynn

Awww, your welcome! Im glad I could help! And thanks, BBT, is soooo awesome!!!

As for doubts, geez, we all have those, even I do from time to time, that's just natural. Just choose the course in life that makes you happiest, that's what's important :slight_smile: And if you ever need to chat, just post on my wall! Im not on EC as much as Id like to be, but Ill answer back for you! :slight_smile: (*hug*)