1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Fluid and Crushing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by O_Negative, Nov 8, 2012.

1. O_Negative

You guys know I'm gender fluid. Well...I've found little hope in having crushes on people since discovering this about myself. Currently I am all about this one guy...and hes a great friend and an amazing support to me (he's trans* and has been giving me so many tips and the occasional much needed hug)...but he's straight and I'm not ALWAYS female =(...

What do you guys think? If I crush on people who go one way or the other exclusively...is there any hope for me? I'm never going to be always female or male...it bums me out...

2. Toffee

Hi,
    I don't know much about what it's like to be gender fluid (I'm cis) but if this guy you like really liked you back in other words had very strong feelings for you then surely it shouldn't matter to him? Isn't it about the person inside? Loving their personality?
    I think if he couldn't accept this about you if it was that much of an obstacle for him than he is not the right man for you and you need to find someone who can love you for who you truly are and that includes whether you happen to feel male or female.

I'd also say that you situation is the same as any other LGB person that falls for someone straight, it sucks and it's painful but there isn't anything we can do about it and eventually we have to move on.

Does the guy you currently crush on know how you feel about him? Maybe you should let him know and if he says he can't return your feelings because sometimes you have a male identity then I think you have your answer.

I'd also add that there are people out there that would be perfectly comfortable with dating someone gender fluid so do not give up hope! (*hug*)

#2 Toffee, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  3. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You'll need to keep looking for the right person, but it doesn't necesarily means that "the right person" can't be straight.

I can tell you this, because od the case of my friends: my friend A met my friend B, and they got along very well. A is straight, while B is bisexual. The point is, when they became a couple, B told A that she is transgender FtM, and all that is assosiated with that condition (that is not a "she" but a "he", and that he will want someday when had the resources to go to a transition, if he gets the resolve, etcetera).

The interesting part here is, my friend A is straight, and didn't know anything about transgenderism before, but he loved her so much, that he accepted it right away (he is even making to the idea of "getting on the passive side" someday). And, as far as I know he still identifies himself as straight.

What I try to say is, don't loose hope, when you find "your other half" you'll know it, and that special person will not let you down just because who you are.

Just keep it up(*hug*)(*hug*)

4. J Snow

Well, the only way for you to know if they are interested is to talk to them about it. It may be scary, but sometimes people can be more open minded than you think. If he's not interested then there is nothing you can do about it and you move on, but at least you'll know.

5. O_Negative

Alright...thank you guys.

I've had an upsetting week...and just been trying to focus on other things...but the other things are dwindling suddenly so I'm back to wishing I had a significant other.

I will work on becoming closer with him and maybe sometime I'll grow the metaphorical nuts to tell him.

Thanks everyone.

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a lot more to a relationship than part A goes in hole B. Most people are a lot more open minded than they realize. If he's trans, even if only monogendered, that's all the more likely that he'd be open minded enough to try a relationship. Unless you see it as likely to hurt your friendship, you can always try telling him how you feel...

7. PurpleCrab

I never thought about this... a gender fluid person crushing. It would feel rather unfair if you couldn't date gay/straight people because you're not always the same gender, but like other people said before there's always hope that if the right person loves you enough they'll be Ok with it.

Maybe you'd feel more secure around pansexual and bisexual people? At least with those you know their sexual orientation won't be an issue.

I'm also wondering, what about having kids and raising them? There's the possibility you want kids and to form a family, then, have you thought about your parenting role and how you'd like it to be? Just curious, you know.