1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm confused about my gender. Advice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JoBa22, Nov 14, 2012.

1. JoBa22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First of all, I have never voiced my concerns in any way shape or form. Nobody knows what I am feeling and this is my first time talking about it. Most of this will probably consist of me thinking out loud so I apologize if it turns into a rant.

I was born a female, but I have always been sort of androgynous ever since I can remember. When I was little I always hated wearing girl cloths to the point where I would throw a fit and cry if my parents made me wear a dress. I never played with girl toys, but I really enjoyed playing with my cousins' and next door neighbor's toys (all male). Even when my younger brother grew out of his baby toys I always wanted to play with his Batman action figures and such. My mom even tells me today that she wishes she would have made me play with dolls and girly toys.

I have never felt comfortable with my body. Ever since puberty and my breasts started appearing, I have despised them. I cannot stand having breasts. I hate everything about them. They are disgusting to me. I have told people, my friends and my mom, about how I wish I could cut them off. They always reassure me that any girl would love to have breasts like mine. At that point I try to hide the tears and never manage to let them spill over. I can't even look at myself in the mirror without thinking about how I wish they weren't there. I hate shopping for clothes because I never feel comfortable with how they look because I want my chest to be flat.

I have never really felt like I like having a vagina or that I should have a penis. Honestly, I think they are both gross. I'm not sure if that's just immaturity or if something is really wrong. When I was younger I did try sitting on the toilet backwards to simulate how a male uses it. I eventually grew out of that though.

Now that I'm a young adult I still feel the same. I still hate my breasts and I'm fairly androgynous as far as my clothing and attitudes, though if the situation calls for dressing up I put on a dress and complain about how uncomfortable I am but mostly keep it to myself. I never wear makeup and I usually just wear jeans and regular t-shirt. I have only recently been considering binding. I would probably go through with it if I weren't so concerned about what my friends and family would think.

Only until this past year have I thought about the idea of being transgender. I am attracted to men and have had a few boyfriends before, though none have worked out for a multitude of reasons. I have always had mostly male friends but I do have some female friends.

I am not sure if I am just having body image issues or if there is something more going on. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Bree

I would interpret that as gender dysphoria, but it's your decision to pick a gender label. You could be androgynous or genderqueer or fully transsexual... it's whatever you come to terms with.

I feel like you do about the breasts. I'm very lucky in that mine are very small, so I don't have to wear any kind of bra/support, and if I wear a loose t-shirt they're unnoticeable. I still wish they weren't there, although sometimes I like to touch them when they're covered up because I like how breasts feel--just not on me.

3. JoBa22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm 5' 1", 135 lbs with 36 D breasts. With how large they are, it's almost like every time I look down they are right there mocking me. I think for right now I'm just going to experiment with binding and seeing how I feel about that. I'm just worried that the people close to me will start to notice and question me about it and I'm not going to know what to tell them.

4. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started binding, (and I believe my breasts are the same size as yours, poss larger, haven't been sized in a while, so I totally know what it's like) and what I did to avoid questions (and still do) is bind when no ones around. That way I could work out how I felt about it, without having to answer questions. So, you could always try something like that till you're ready to tell them :slight_smile:

5. RainbowBright

Can you pinpoint why you feel this way and what either gender represents for you? It may be helpful to see a therapist trained in this area. What you are describing is not as unusual as you might think, you are certainly not alone. It would help for someone professional to help you sort this out.

I used to feel very strongly like you do. I don't want to brush this aside at all, just speak to the fact that a lot of people - especially women - go through that, and it does not mean necessarily that one must completely transition or leave womanhood behind. For me, the main reason I felt this way was I was in a very patriarchal home and community, and I was sexually abused as a kid because I was the only female kid in the family. What that meant to me is that everything about a woman is weak and not as good as a man, and doomed to misery, and that women's bodies are weird and not as good as a man's body. Because of the sexual abuse, I also thought male and female organs were both gross.

It took me many years to get out of that situation and find a new way to view women - as strong, as resilient, as activists. I learned to adjust to my body. I think I still would feel more comfortable in a man's body, but I don't want to do all the work to learn how to fit into that world - I already did so many years of work to learn how to fit in among women! So I deal. And I think I'm cool with it. It doesn't stress me out at all, I don't think about it all the time like I did when I was younger. I used to obsess over changing my name, binding my breasts, doing whatever I could to be who I thought I would have been if I had been born a boy - someone with privilege, with power, safety, someone whose career and money making was not limited, someone with respect, someone who got waited on - these were what a man was where I grew up. Women were people who got raped, who had less education, who served, who had no job and no money of their own, and who had weird huge things that stuck out of their chest and got in the way. Why would anyone want to be a woman?

Like I say, I'm not trying to brush this off, this is not the story for all people. All I'm saying is, this was the story for me and for also for other girls. For those that fit this story, major change may be necessary, but the change of living in a different reality where women can be strong and independent might be all that is needed. I am pretty femme now in mannerism and appearance, and it's not like that is happily ever after, but it's working out ok. I am less concerned about my body now and more concerned with what I do with my life, with how I impact the world. And for me, I don't think that's going to be through transitioning. I just don't need it anymore the way I used to feel I did - before those options were even available! If I had grown up now, maybe my path would have been different. But I am happy now, and that's all that matters.

Also, if you are really concerned about gender roles it might help only to be around people who do not expect all women to be high femme with makeup and heels and a skirt, but who allow women to be all shades in between masculine and feminine and androgyny.

Make it is more than that for you - maybe you really hate your body and cannot exist happily with it. Maybe you need it to be radically altered to fit your spirit. Hopefully this helps you think it out a little more to know what your situation is.

6. JoBa22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice. I tried binding for the first time today and even though it was a little change, I feel a lot better. You can tell I have breasts but they are significantly smaller and even then I feel more confident. So far no one has seen me wearing my bind, I plan on wearing it while my roommate is around to kind of see how noticeable it really is to other people before I wear it in public.

7. kazukokat

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went through the same feelings(opposite gender of course MTF) at one point I thought that I would just be a feminine guy because I always hated doing guy things even though I am thankful I know how to work on cars now because it has come in handy. I have recently come to the realization that I am trans and I am gladly accepting the lifestyle. Honestly I would just suggest playing around with everything to find your true self. Whether in the end if just as simple as getting a boob reduction surgery or as far as actually becoming a guy. Either way be yourself because nothing will make you happier.

8. Yamato

I am in pretty much the same situation as you, I haven't talked about this to anyone. I am confused about my gender, born female and joined the forum to find some advice, when I saw this thread I thought it would be very useful. I can't offer any advice but wan't you to know you are not alone in your feelings.

9. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Try it, and don't worry about what others will think. I mean, you already had expressed you discomfort with your breast openly before, so it's not like your family doesn't know you don't like them.

I know it's bothersome just to think on the questions they might make to you, but you have one thing on your favor: you're still young, so your family might think "it's only a phase" and let you do it; at least for a while. That could benefit you, since it will give you some time to observe how you feel with the binding.

10. JoBa22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went all day with my breasts binded in an Ace bandage. Though it was physically a bit uncomfortable, I felt better. As far as I know, no one noticed the difference. I am considering getting an actual binder that would be more comfortable. Does anyone have any recommendations for people with larger breasts that isn't over priced?

11. GayJay

I donr know if you could decribe it as transgender when you have no want to have a penis. If you truly wanted to be male, in my opinion you would want everything men have. And as for your breasts you might just hate them cause there so big, and would maybe be happier if they were smaller. I don't know if you get any attention for them but I know several big boobed girls who wish they could remove their breasts to stop guys staring at them and stuff.
    Or you could be noticing the early sign that are gonna make you transgender. It may start as a body image thing that will turn out to become gender dyphoria. Ask yourself how do you feel about periods? How ytou face looks, like your femmine jaw line? Face hair? Body hair/shaving? Can't really think of anything else right now.
    I think you should flatten your chest. If your scared to bind because of what other people might think, then I suggest buying a sports bra about 2 sizes too small. But if you are gonna bind stop using ace bandage! Trust me after a while it will kill. Therefore your boobs will still show but a lot smaller. And in the meantime maybe talk to a counceller or therpist because the more you rhink about these things the more they will bother you.

---------- Post added 16th Nov 2012 at 09:29 AM ----------

Oh and google underworks and t-kingdom. Think there best places to buy. Underworks may be a little more uncomfortable though but very effective.

#11 GayJay, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  12. JoBa22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As far as I can tell I haven't gotten attention because if my boobs. My friends do comment on them, but it's usually just because they know I'm embarrassed by them and they either do it as a joke or to make me feel better about them. It just makes me feel worse about them. My friends know I don't like my boobs but they don't know it's as serious as it really is.

Being born female I actually have more body hair than the average girl, at least I think so. My arms have long hair on them and I even get patches of longer hair on my neck under my chin. I don't like shaving but when I have to it grows back within the day. My eyebrows are already thick so I just let them go.

As far as my facial features go, I like to clench my jaw so it appears more prominent and masculine. I like to wear tighter jeans to kind of suck in my hips because I've been told I have childbearing hips.

13. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Transgender doesn't have to mean you want to be the other gender. You could want to be somewhere in between. For example, I knew one person (born male) who identified as transgender, who wanted to be castrated but still have a penis.

14. JoBa22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just a quick update. I bought some smaller sports bras and I'm currently wearing 3 if them. Though they don't quite do as good a job as the Ace bandage, they are SO much more comfortable. They still make my boobs smaller though. Also I borrowed some of my brother's boxer briefs just to kind of experiment and I feel really awesome. I'm pretty giddy right now because I feel so much more comfortable. I'm not really sure what that means but I'm liking it. :grin:

15. JoBa22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Something upsetting happened today. I went to get some more sports bras and I wasn't finding anything that was working that way I wanted it to. Out of frustration I made the mistake of Tweeting that I wished I was born a boy. I've said this before, but people never took it seriously until now. One of my friends that I haven't really talked to in awhile texted me and voiced his concern about my recent Tweets. Here's what he said, sorry it's so long but I felt I should share it with you guys.

"I can't sit idly by any more reading your tweets about how you want to be a boy. The makeup you did (I do special fx makeup in my spare time), the haircut you want, all of it adds up. Stop trying to be something you're not. Stop thinking you can change every fiber of your being. Because you can't. I don't know why you want to be a boy, and frankly, I don't care. I just know it's not healthy for you to be doing this. Learn to embrace what you ARE instead of what you CAN'T BE. Love YOURSELF. Not what you WISH you were. I feel like everyone is thinking this, but everyone's too scared of how you might react if they call you out. I feel like I'm the only one who will do it, so here it is."

I didn't know what to say to him, so I didn't say anything at all. A few minutes later another one of my friends asked me why I've been so sad, I just told her I was frustrated with clothes. She understood because she has larger breasts like me and we've talked about it before.

I don't know what to do. This is how I feel and if I really am different, what if I lose people because of it. I don't want them thinking I chose to feel this way about myself because who would CHOOSE to hate themselves? I'm kind of scared and I don't know what to do.

16. GayJay

Yeah i suppose that's true. Suppose everyone different really, it just personally i couldn't imagine going through all this, coming out to everyone and trying to get T and everything and not to have a penis at the end of it all. But then you could still transition and not have bottom surgery.

---------- Post added 18th Nov 2012 at 02:23 PM ----------

Really and this guy is supposed to be your friend? He should be expressing his concern for you but not in that way, like your clearly have a lot of thought going around in your head that can be hard to deal with. Some people are prob try tell you that your not different and things of couse they are, pretty much all my family do it to me all the time. But a more gentle conversatiuon probs would have been more appropiate.
    Haven't really got any input on how you should handle the situation, guess you are just gonna have to talk to him, or not respond?

#16 GayJay, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  17. JoBa22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a really big problem. I got my haircut and my mom is freaking out. She's starting to catch on. What do I do? Should I come out and tell her how I feel or should I sugar coat it?

18. JoBa22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I got my binder from Underworks in the mail today! It was hard to get on but I managed and I feel great. I'm worried about how hard it's going to be to take off though. Is it supposed to be difficult? Also, my family still doesn't know so I'm not sure how I'm going to keep it from them and how long I'll get away with hiding it.

19. JoBa22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to one of my friends. He took it really well. He's studying psychology so I figured he would be a safe person to tell. He even offered to try to get me an appointment with one of his professors so I can try to figure this stuff out and it'll be free of charge. I'm really excited about it and I feel better than I ever have before.

20. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad to hear that your psychology friend is helping you out! It's good that you have somebody that can help you out!

I'm sorry that your one friend reacted in the was that they did. It's their choice to accept you or to nor accept you, so don't blame yourself.

Binders are pretty difficult to take off and put on until you get used to them. After some time though, it becomes much easier.