1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans Toilets

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BoiGeorge, Dec 27, 2012.

1. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Which public toilet do I use?! Women kind of freak out when I use the ladies but I'm too scared to use the mens at this point. Thoughts?

2. Jim

Jim

I use women's because I'm just used to doing it, but I want to be able to use men's too.
    Have you thought about getting a stand to pee device? That way you can use urinals like men do.

Maybe start using men's public toilets in not so busy places, like small cafe's? That's probably what I'm gonna do at some point :slight_smile:

3. SomeNights

Honestly,
    In my *cough* experience in public male restrooms, no one will care. We generally don't make eye contact, don't talk, and just acknowledge each others' presence just enough not to use the same toilet/bump into each other.

I'd say go for it. It'll probably be a big let down, but a good way to get your Heart Rate up for the day.....oh and FYI guys restrooms are usually NASTY esp. public bathrooms.

Oh and if you do "[get] a stand to pee device", just remember to keep your eyes on the wall :slight_smile:

4. Deaf Not Blind

yeah, aim dudes! the floor is always wet, and it stinks so bad!
    But I gotta give DC Safeways kudos...they had a fold-down baby changing table in mens room.
    you know, maybe a good idea to use something to open the door knob when leaving, as i don't think everybody washes...
    seriously, guys you got something to aim with, use it...floor is not the place to pee.

5. SomeNights

ROFLMFAO

Oh and be ready for the 8 yr old that is just learning how to use the urinal and is showing everyone a full moon. -_-

6. Deaf Not Blind

we need to advocate for gender free bathrooms though. they are great! one uni had one, and lots of men and women use it.

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2012 at 02:22 PM ----------

hahahhaaha!

Um, my grandpa took me to mens room as a kid...cuz gramma got scared after a transwoman was in the ladies room! :slight_smile: I love the mens room, why? cus that particular store had toilets with a little area at the front perfect for a kid to sit on and not fall in! being a germ a phobic toddler, i hated falling into women's toilets. all the men said i was a really good little girl to obey grampa and keep my eyes shut.

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2012 at 02:23 PM ----------

okay there are no child right activists...I say we need to install either them old mens toilets in every stall of all bathrooms or get tiny ones for little ones.

7. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You don't need to use the urinals. It's been a lot of years (more than 10 if I remember correctly) since I pee sitting on the toilet (sitting, never standing), and nobody has ever given a ***** for that.

As SomeNights said, men doesn't care for who is in there, as long as you can get a spot to do your work. If you just walk in and go to the toilet, you can use it and no one is going to say anything.

Even so, when the urinals are too separate from each other, or doesn't have divisions, some men prefer to use the toilet to pee instead.

Briefing, don't worry, just act normal and go for it. :thumbsup:

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I can only reiterate what SomeNights said. If you keep to yourself, other men will leave you alone. Don't worry about using the stall just to pee; in my 22 years of using men's restrooms, I've never seen someone say, "Did you just use that stall just to pee?" to a guy coming out of the stall.

9. RainbowMan

In my 33 (I've got 11 years on Owen, so can speak from much more authoritative of a position :grin:) years of using men's rooms, yeah - we don't care. Just get in, do your business, and get out. And don't be afraid to use the stalls, I'll occasionally do that myself if I've got a problem down there, ya know? :grin:

10. GayJay

i know what you meen it is scary, im so scared somone will notice and be like urmm sure that was a girl. i cant bear to use the womams although i sometimes have to.
    i found myself using the womens in college cause the mens was full and i was with a bunch of guys who im not out too, but when i walked in a group of girls said urrmmm sure that was a boy. so maybe were are just more suited to using the mens.
    use the mens, so long as its not too full ypu can go in a cubicle. no one really care all they wanna do is have a piss and out. and like me you look younger than what you are so people will just assume you used he cubicle cause of a confdence thing cause your young, thats if they think anything at all.

11. m2fandrea2012

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Check this out. It has some solid information.

Restroom Access Issues

I think that if you are in transition, and have written documentation from a therapist/doctor you are within the law (at least as I understand it, though I am not an authority).

I completely can understand the problem.

Speaking as someone who in public presents as a male, and uses the male restroom, we are not all to chatty in there. Hell, I can't stand it if I am using a urinal, and there are 10 other urinals, why the hell does that guy need to come right next to me to pee? And it has NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING to do with sex, gender or anything else. My problem is not with a guy being next to me. No issue there at all really. My problem is I don't need the guy a) pee on my shoes next to me, and b) passing gas right next to me.

Maybe it's the "dainty" femme side in me that is fighting to get out, but I wish these guys had just a touch more dignity and class. I mean seriously... use the stall away from me dude :wink:

Overall, the only advice I would say is the aforementioned document. From a legal standpoint, I would not want you to get in trouble. Overall, most guys wont care or even notice.

As a point of curiosity, I am a little surprised other women get so bent on it. Sorry to hear that.

12. SomeNights

yeah, but I've had "dude, did you just drop a duce in there?" on more than one occasion.

13. Adelaida

From a non-trans perspective, use whichever you are most comfortable with! If women freak out when you go to the ladies, that's on them. Not your problem. I, for one, don't pay attention to whoever is in the ladies room with me, if I don't know them, and it wouldn't make me uncomfortable at all to know a transgender person was using the same restroom. I probably would barely notice. But if you would rather use the men's, go for it. Doesn't sound like most guys will notice, based on the other responses you've received. I think, in general, men tend to pay less attention to things like that than women do, but that's just my own opinion.

I've had to use the men's restrooms before when the ladies' lines were too long, and no one noticed, even though I look like a chick. Personally, it's not an experience I'd want to repeat often, just based on general cleanliness, lol!

14. J Snow

There are a couple apps that list the locations of gender neural restrooms if you have a smart phone.

15. TheAMan

First I want to comment about how men keep public bathrooms. I just want to say that the men's room may be nasty but the women's is worse. I've cleaned both as part of my family's old cleaning business and the women's bathrooms are worse. Anyway, to the point at hand, you should use whatever bathroom you feel most comfortable using.

16. J Snow

Oh, I just want to point out if it wasn't already, that public restroom laws can very from state to state so I would look into what the law is like your area. I know that in Iowa people can use whichever restroom they identify as regardless of body type or presentation.

17. SomeNights

18. PurpleCrab

Welll...

In your case, I'd say you have the choice. Guys won't mind, and women won't mind (unless you're talking about the bitchy gossipy ones).
    You should go to whatever bathroom's the most comfortable/accessible for you.

As for me personally I still use female bathrooms. I haven't made the jump yet, and anyway they're cleaner. Most of the public restrooms I use are in gyms anyway so people generally see me as a very fit woman. I guess that once I grow chest hair I might consider switching :wink:

19. Ashton

Use the mens dude! I did as soon as I started my transition. No guy has ever batted an eyelid at me doing it. I sometimes get a friend to come with me if I feel nervous but guys really don't care :slight_smile: you're more likely to get trouble in the women's toilets I reckon!!

20. DhammaGamer

Mens room definitely.