1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transgendered, gay, both?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Laura27, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello,

I am a 18 year old female. I don't hate my body, I wear make-up, am comfortable with the way I look. But I do have major issues with my identity. When I was little, I always wanted to be a boy. I wanted to be a male while playing fantasy games, I can't remember one time I played a girl-role. I loved it when people confused me with a boy. I game a lot and I used to watch only programmes little boys would watch. It was not consciously on my mind that I wanted to 'change into a boy' but I would make sure everyone did not see me as a girly girl. That idea was somehow horror to me.
    It all changed when I was 13, like (almost) everyone I went through an awkward phase and it has led me to be a 'normal' looking girl. And I am not feeling miserable.

Of course this isn't a big deal. But I have had multiple breakdowns (a period of time in which I worried and felt anxious, not a breakdown but my English vocabulary isn't that great) when I went through puberty, that I would become a 'woman'. Someone who would become a mother, a wife. I have told my dad I would never marry anyone, and if I would happen to meet a man that I liked, it would be long distance. Than a time came that it would all seem okay (months). Followed by another period of anxiety about my future of being a woman.

This was especially horrible when I met my ex-boyfriend (long distance :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I just felt so weird about it, out of place although I found him attractive. I had another breakdown, this time convinced that I was transgendered. When we broke up I wanted to explore this empty feeling, and the idea of being gay showed up in my head. It has fascinated me ever since. I think I am somewhat attracted to men, I have never been in love with a man but I think I could like them. I just cannot be with them as a girl, does that make sense? I don't want to be their 'girlfriend'. I would be able to date them as a man, I guess.

I think I like girls too, there are lesbian signs in my past and I am currently dating a girl. But it is also because I still don't want to become a 'full heterosexual woman'. I am afraid that I am forcing myself to like women instead of men because I have these strange feelings inside me. Are there more people like me? Because I am thinking of getting help so I can figure things out because it makes me so confused. Or is it common for some people to feel like this? Most of the time I wait until it goes away but it always comes back.

I hope I've made myself clear and that there are people that can help me because I have never ever read a story as strange as mine.

Greetings from a Dutch person! :icon_bigg

2. J Snow

Actually I think you'd be shocked how much I relate.

First of all I totally relate to the periods of questioning and then just being content. I went through periods of being find with my gender only to freak out about it again a few months later. This isn't as uncommon as you might think.

As far as sexual orientation goes, I knew I was attracted to girls before I started transition, but I have said for a long time before that that I was gay because I knew I couldn't stand being with a girl as a man. Being with a guy let me feel more feminine, but if I was with a girl it would just make me feel too masculine. Now that I'm transition I'm open to dating a woman, but there is just no way I could have done it before hand.

Hope that helps.

3. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dear J Snow,

You have no idea how much you helped me! I thought I was just imagining things, although I would be truly devastated if that was the case. But you put it into words perfectly, it is exactly what I mean, but reversed. You probably know what I am talking about. I might have known it all along, since your response all of a sudden 'convinced' me. To put it briefly: yes, you have most certainly helped me! :slight_smile:

4. J Snow

Well you telling me that has helped me. So I guess it's mutual =)