1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkwardness?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PleaseHelp, Mar 4, 2013.

1. PleaseHelp

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm not out yet, but I was wondering from people who are, particularly those who are in transition if it's really awkward to be around people you knew pre-transition particularly parents? That's one reason I'm scared to come out publicly

2. suninthesky

I'm not on T, or even out to most people, but I have changed the way I dressed a lot. Sometimes I run into people that knew me before I started dressing in guys clothes. I just act like they've already seen me. It was kind of weird going back to visit my old high school after four months of being away. I don't think I'm going to care much by the time I am able to get on T.

You're parents have known you as long as you have. They'll adjust. Just be yourself and be confident. If you are sure of yourself, they won't question your resolve as much.

3. Niko

Well I'm pre-everything and only a few people know about me. My parents still call me their daughter around the house, while using female pronouns...even though they know what I'm going through. They've told me that I have to find a balance with my assigned sex and my dysphoria so I can get a job ( which is BS ). Sooo basically they're forcing me to be female, thinking that'll help. But hopefully they'll get it one day.

As for you, just stay true to yourself. If it makes you happy then it shouldn't matter what others think. You deserve to be happy! Everyone deserves to be happy.

4. LightningRider

Coming from someone who is awkward 99% of the time, all I can say is I don't feel any more awkward around people.

Everyone I know is very supportive though. Like they know I'm not a different person so they don't feel the need to treat me like a different person - and I think that's where the awkwardness would come from, them trying to treat me different.
    Although I'm not on T yet and therefore can't say for certain if this will change when I really start to transition more, I'd say that it'll mostly be the same. :slight_smile:

Also, I find that being open about everything and willing to explain takes away awkwardness.
    My coworkers and family at first were very awkward towards me because the didn't know if they were allowed to ask questions about everything. But everyone knows that I'm happy to clear up anything they're confused about so there's no more awkwardness from that. :slight_smile:

5. DhammaGamer

Of course it was awkward at first lol It's not even a thing anymore though, I'm just another girl/sister/daughter/friend. Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.

6. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on how open-minded the people are that you are around. The problem is that you are expressing a part of yourself that people have never considered. They saw your physical appearance and just assumed you were the same on the inside. The major fear for everyone is the unknown. People think that coming out as Trans* means you're going to become a different person; like they're going to lose their "son"/friend forever. You need to reassure them that you will still be you, only in a form of yourself that you are comfortable in. If someone is incapable of accepting this new aspect of you then it is their problem, not yours. You have conformed enough to societies standards to make them happy; so it's time to decide if you want to continue at your own expense or make yourself happy for once.

Coming out can be scary, but it is also very liberating at the same time. Best case scenario people accept this new aspect of you; worst case you're outright rejected and they demand you pretend to be a "boy" again. But it's important to not give in and continue to show the real you. As for society you need to adapt a new level of confidence. People will make comments and say stupid things. You need to remember that you're being the real you, not what they want. You are having the courage to do something that most of them would never have the ability to do. That alone shows how strong you are. Strangers expect us to curl up in a ball and cry when we're insulted; so it catches most people off-guard when you stand up for yourself.

At least that's my experience so far. I've lost a few friends, but gained a lot more in the GLBT community. And as of right now I've yet to go back into "boy mode". My family has mostly accepted it and my parents are coming around. But none of this would have happened had I stayed in fear. Take time in gathering your thoughts on what to say and do plenty of research. Us Trans* women are here to help you along if you need any advice. ^_^ Good luck in coming out! :thumbsup: