1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No one listens

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by darkprincess, Mar 7, 2013.

1. darkprincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm sorry, this might be a bit of a rant. Well I'm 16 and currently attending highschool. Ect ect. The thing though is about my friends. Countless times a week I tell them I'm a girl (they don't know that I am a transsexual) even though I say it and am often quoting things about transgender and Gender identity disphoria no one listens. I would have thought someone would pick up on it. (I have about 20 friends whom I am constantly saying this to) one I even wrote a poem (the smartest person I know) and him and 2 others know I'm suffering from depression. The 3 who know about my depression is or was suffering from depression last year and I helped all of them and even stopped one from committing suicide. I just wish they would help me for once. And I also wish they would stop saying things that others wouldnt be offended by but I am such as I am not a girl :'(

What can I do about this and sorry about the rant

2. Niko

Well to start, if you believe that you are a girl, if you feel like a girl, then you are a girl. Period. Just because you have a male's body doesn't make you any less of a woman, understand that.

Now it's going to be hard for people to understand what you are going through. But you're not alone. I too suffered all through high school hiding my inner male, and pretending to be the girl I wasn't. I felt alone, and I couldn't talk to anyone about this. Last November I finally broke free and was able to tell my parents and recently I told my best friend. My parents still don't fully understand which upsets me, but I continue to fight this battle on my own, like I always have.

I don't think it's right that your friends won't show you support with your depression though. Even if they don't understand your dysphoria. Friends should stick up for one another. And I'm sorry they put you down like that. :\ But you are a girl! So don't let them get to you.

If you need help with anything at all, you can always talk to me.

3. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you're friends don't know much about what it means to be trans, so when they hear you saying you are a girl, or hinting at it, maybe they are uncomfortable and not sure what to say back? Rather than just saying you are a girl, you should sit down your closest friend and tell them that you are trans, and that you are in need of their support and help, and that it is something you really want them to take seriously. Especially among friends, I think being honest and straightforward is very important.

When you say that they say things that others might not find offensive, but you do, whats an example of that?

4. darkprincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks all :slight_smile: i think that they think I'm just joking but I have said it enough and hinted enough that i believe at least one should have noticed by now.

5. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The sad truth is you are hitting was it called the Trans* barrier. Your friends are perfectly comfortable in their bodies. To them you are saying something so foreign that they can never identify with it. They have no urge to be a girl and never will. To them they are only looking at your outside appearance, not what is on the inside. My advice would be to sit them down and inform them how you really feel. Let them know that their "bro" treatment is making you uncomfortable.

If they continue to ignore what you are saying after carefully laying it out for them then become more forceful. When they start saying offensive things let them know it upsets you. Don't let the wrong pronouns slide either. When you say you are a girl and they turn right around and call you "he" and "him" correct them. It will irritate them, but it drives the point home that you are serious about what you are saying. People are afraid of the unknown. Some people react to the unknown by pretending it just isn't there and hoping it will go away. You have to let them know you are a girl and that your outside appearance does not dictate who you are. The more you let things slide the worse they will become.

As for the dysphoria; I advise you to find a local GLBT group to join. Even though GLB people can not fully break through the Trans* barrier they can relate a lot more to your issues. With luck you might find other Trans* people at the group who you can relate to. I found that asking longtime friends to understand gender dysphoria is sadly a fruitless effort.

6. darkprincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks :slight_smile: yeah I try to be forceful but after correcting them they say stuff like above ^ and I can't talk to them from there because I feel too upset to. But thanks I will try to do that

7. J Snow

If you really feel comfortable with being honest with them I would just flat out tell them that you are transgender. If you are comfortable enough to say you are a girl then I would think this shouldn't be much of an issues. If you merely tell them you are a girl they would probably be confused as to what you mean and think it is some sort of a joke.

At least that's what I would assume 16 year old males would think.