1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey look, another "tomboy or trans?" post

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CircusBear, Mar 16, 2013.

1. CircusBear

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Right. Hello. Um.

I am not feminine. I know this. I am SOMEWHERE under that whole umbrella of "people who will throw a fit if you make them wear a skirt". I'm just not sure where.

Where is the line between butch, genderqueer, or just.... guy? Sometimes I think "I'm just my own special subcategory of girl," and sometimes I think "I'm a guy." and sometimes I think "can we just throw the whole guy/girl thing out the window and I'll just be me?"

When I was a kid, I was a tomboy. Sort of. I didn't actually DO that much guy stuff so much as I wanted guy stuff to be associated with me (ex: I hated sports, but I wanted people to see me as someone they would invite to play sports.) Mostly, I was a tomboy in what I WOULDN'T do. I refused to play with barbies, I thought dresses were stupid, I would not let you paint my nails unless you painted rocketships on them. Not so much because I didn't like them in themselves, but because if I did them it would be a "girl" thing. There used to be this short on Disney channel about a brother and sister who tap-danced, and for months after I saw it I wanted to take tap-dancing, but I never said anything (in fact, my parents asked me if I'd be interested and I said no) because I knew if I did I would tap-dance in a skirt and dress and I'd be the sister tap-dancing. I wanted to be/look like (don't know which) the boy who tapdanced.

I don't feel dysphoric. I used to hate my body, but then I discovered feminism/ theRainbow/ that whole category of people who are big on defining your body however you want. I started dressing the way I had always wanted to, and I cut my hair short, and I stopped seeing my boobs as something that trapped me. They stopped feeling like something that was forcing me into femininity. Now I just sort of see them as.... well, mostly I see them as fat on my chest, much like the fat on the rest of me (I'm chubby, and my boobs are pretty small, so they don't even LOOK that girly to me). I kind of was in denial about the fact that hips happened, and then when I realized it I got pretty upset for a while. I remember looking at photos of myself when I was 11, and being wistful/jealous, because I didn't have hips back then. But right now, my body doesn't HURT me. It just surprises me. I'll be walking down the street with my backpack on, and my hand will be gripping the strap, and all of a sudden my brain will be like "oh hey. Your knuckle is resting against your boob. Oh right. Because there's a boob there. Forgot about that." I'll suddenly be surprised by how small I am, or I'll be confused because of how oddly small my knuckles are (I only figured out why this is 10 days ago).

Mostly, I'm confused because of the small things. Like how sometimes, I'll just sit, and I'll see my knee, and something about the way my pant leg sits on my knee will look so.... right, and it'll just make me really happy. Or when the girl at the SAARP (rape prevention center) table told me where the crisis center was if I ever needed it, and I got annoyed, because for a second I wanted to tell her that this didn't apply to me, I wasn't in her target demographic, I wasn't..... and then I remembered that I was. For YEARS, I've intentionally stopped myself from developing good handwriting, because if a stranger found my handwriting, I kind of want them to think it's a guy's/ambiguous handwriting. Like, I went to a forensic website where they analyze handwriting to see if mine did any of the things that marked handwriting as "female". And then I changed how I wrote my a's and g's and y's.

So, uh... there's my thought vomit. Anyway, like I said, I'm not hurting. Mostly I just need a word, both for myself and so that I can explain myself to other people, because I'm not fond of delving into my entire inner world every damn time someone puts me in the wrong box. Also, because I need to start acting like an adult, and I don't know what an adult me-type person looks like.

#1 CircusBear, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I want to help you out, but I'm not totally sure. You sound like you would be happier if you had been born as the opposite gender, but you're only transgender if you want to switch. Your choice, I guess.

3. J Snow

Okay, first of all, I just want to point out that you are not using the term transgender correctly. You seem to be confusing the terms transgender and transsexual. Even so, many transsexuals choose to not undergo hormones or surgery. That doesn't invalidate their gender identity. Its difficult to transition, and many people never do. That doesn't mean they are not transgender/transsexual.

Okay, now on to the OP. Let me start by making one thing clear.

I think you are a man

Sorry for gendering you. That's really not my place, nor is it anyone but your own to decide. I had a good reason though. It was so you could evaluate how that sentence made you feel. Did you get butterflies? Did it make you happy? Did you experience a sense of euphoria despite all the usual doubt and confusion? I know I always did when someone would tell me I was a girl.

You see, the internet has all these "evaluations" claiming to help you figure out your gender identity, but I think this works much better. You know the gut reactions you get when you think about being a guy. Do you want to be one? If you do, then that makes you one. Its that simple.

You say you don't experience dysphoria, yet you say you are upset when you are "put into the female box." That sounds like dysphoria to me. It is dysphoria being caused by being considered a girl. Dysphoria doesn't have to be about your body. As I said above, you can be a guy and not have specific problems with your body.

Hope I was of some help. Best of luck figuring this stuff out! (*hug*)

4. CircusBear

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    @J Snow: I don't how I felt when you said that. My skin kind of vibrated, and my stomach did something, but but I don't know what that reaction indicates. I CAN say that whenever someone tells me I think like a guy/act like a guy, I'm pleased, and want them to tell me more about why I come off that way.

5. DhammaGamer

You should just do it. I know that you want someone to open you up and point to that spot in you that says "this person is a man" but it's not going to happen ever. Transsexual is something you DO not something you ARE. If you say you are a man then you are a man. If you want a beard and bigger muscles, then get them from your doctor. Getting meds is easy easy easy as long as you stop doubting yourself and JUST DO IT.

6. If your gender identity does not perfectly match the one you were assigned at birth, then you are some sort of transgender (trans*). You may or may not be transsexual (meaning that you identify as the exact opposite of the gender you were assigned at birth, in your case, identifying as strictly male.) That might lead you to physical transitioning but it also might not, as it sounds like you don't particularly have a problem with your body--but it's totally up to you.

But what kind of trans* if you're not transsexual? Hard to say. Could be lots of things. Your story rings pretty familiar with me and I identify as queer, until I figure out what's going on with me, but obviously I can't tell you who you are.

Good luck though, figuring it out :slight_smile: (*hug*)