1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to the doc...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ronin, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to be talking to my family doc about being trans very soon. I live in Canada so I do have the health insurance from the provincial government. Does anyone here have some suggestions of what to ask for? I may be asking for a referral to a psychologist or something. I've heard that people have had a lot of problems at times when dealing with the pros about this.

2. sonatinaRei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My advice would be to talk to your doctor, tell them how you are feeling as graphically and direct as possible, and hopefully they will be well versed enough to know what to do next. If not, the safest bet usually is to search for a counseling service specifically targeted towards LGBT people. Either google it, or ask a friend who would know, or ask on a message board for people in your area. More than likely, such a counselor will know where the local trans-friendly clinics are and you can go forward from there. :slight_smile:

3. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm okay I can do that. I never thought of that. I normally tend to downplay things quite a bit. Thanks for the advice!