1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Anyone Else Have This?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BoiGeorge, Apr 4, 2013.

1. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Whenever I dress very male or very female I find myself embodying the stereotypical assumption of that gender. Like if I dress very girly, I will act flirty, shy, a bit ditzy and sexy. If I dress very boyish I will act confident, aggressive, smart and macho, and I feel like a boy and hate it when people figure out I'm a girl. But when I'm dressed a a girl I'm happy to identity as a girl. It seems as if I can only channel these personalities if I'm dressed as that gender. Its really interesting. Does anyone else have this?

2. TraceElement

Yup. I do it too. When I dress girly I tend to be quieter and just try to "show" sexy if that makes sence. When I'm feeling and dressing boyish I am definately more outspoken, loud and confident... like a "I'm here and in charge" type.

3. StormySea

Same here. I dress girly most of the time (not by choice xp) and always feel as though I have to stay more reserved and less outspoken unless I'm around close friends. I don't get to dress boyish too often, but I'm way more fun to be around when I do! Action, boxers, and confidence baby! >: D
    But I think it's normal to act in the manner of your dress. I usually find that my attitude changes with what style I'm wearing that day. For example: if I wear a cardigan and a blouse, I tend to act more studious and serious. If I wear a loose jacket and pants, I act lazy and sluggish (regardless of whether or not I actually am).

Although what's cool is that if I'm dressed boyish (or just flat out cross dressing xD), my friends, who are almost all female, always act slightly different towards me- like they expect me to be a leader. Whereas in girl-mode, I tend to rank second in command or somewhere in the middle of a group. So peoples attitudes toward me based off style of dress is definitely a contributing factor to how I act, and I think that's what really completes the stereotype loop.

#3 StormySea, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013