1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FtM Hairstyles??

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BradThePug, Apr 6, 2013.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Long story short, I have come to realize that I am more on the male end of the gender identity spectrum. So, I have decided that I need to get a haircut because right now my hair is really long... here is a pic of my current hairstyle.

So, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with some hairstyles that help me pass. I'm terrible when it comes to hairstyles...

2. Hexagon

Well my hairstyle before I decided I wanted to be weird was kind of your generic man's cut, long enough for spiking on top, (about 2 cm maybe), and shorter on the back and sides. I dunno what its called, if it has a name, but yeah, thats really good for passing. Importantly, you need to get your sideburns cut in the man's way... its like an unconscious gender marker that people notice.

3. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The FtM kid I met, he had a hairstyle that looked very male. I suck at hairstyles, but I think it looked something like this:

[​IMG]

Anyway, he mentioned he'd used hair gel to get it like that.

And it certainly worked on me - I didn't realize he was physically female until the camp counselors took me aside to tell me. (Sadly, he's apparently grown boobs since I last saw him, and he no longer passes for male.)

4. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is very similar to the hairstyle I have, but with slight bangs on the sides to help hide my hairline and I style it just a tiny bit different - a bit messier. Maybe I'll be able to post a pic after a bit... I think I still look kinda feminine though :/
    I heard one person say to look at asian hairstyles as a potential to model after.

#4 Ronin, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  5. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Short is good. Dont go for feminine trims like a straight fringe or layering at the back. Have it blunt at the back if you are going to have the back short. I personally like Bieber fringes but on a feminine face they look way too girly and thats probably not what youre after. So many choices!

6. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I need advice too with haircuts because I have no idea where to go.
    I was personally thinking of just leaving it kind of long, but it's getting to a point where I only pass perhaps 40% of the time. I'm just going to go with a generic guy's haircut, somewhat shorter on the sides but longish on top. Or layer it a bit and make it kind of shaggy looking.

I need to look through some various styles before I make a set decision..

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, this is pretty much where I am right now. I've never been really hairstyle savvy anyways...

Thanks for the advice so far! I'm not as hopelessly lost as I was earlier...lol. I'm actually starting to get some ideas. I'll post them here later.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty much in the same boat too. I was thinking about taking in some photos of celebs to a hair studio and see what they can do. The problem with me is I don't know what would look right with me since I'm one of those round and chubby faced fellows (I think my face thinned out a little bit since I've been losing weight, but not by much).

9. CircusBear

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hudson's Guide: Facial Hair, Growth and Grooming

Boom. I should mention: the first time I got my hair cut short, it did not go well. Mainly because the hairdresser spent most of her time mentioning how pretty it was and why would i want to get rid of it? So 1: go to a barber if you can. 2: go to a GOOD barber (use yelp to find good ones) because a bad one will ignore everything you say and just cut it however they want. 3: This one is kinda hypothetical, but you might want to try to cut it by yourself first so that it looks like you're just a guy who gave himself a crappy haircut rather than a girl who wants a "pixie cut". I think you'd have a good shot at passing if you tried that route.

---------- Post added 6th Apr 2013 at 04:56 PM ----------

oh, and 4: Yes. Bring photos. Yes. And when you get it cut again next time, take in photos of THIS haircut and show them what parts you did and didn't like. I hated every haircut I got until I brought in a photo of what I wanted.

10. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm a chubby faced fellow too. My face seriously resembles a potato. Which is why I'm kinda hesitant on cutting it all off, but I want/need it done so bad haha.

11. CircusBear

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Edit: Wrong link. That's the facial hair one. THIS is the head-hair one.
    Hudson's Guide: Men's Short Haircuts and the Barber Shop

Also, and I think it says this in the guide: get your hair so that it's a bit longer on top if you are round-faced. It squares out your jaw, which will make your face more masculine-looking.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll have to take notes before I have the money and time to get my hair cut. The last time I went to get it cut, I asked the person about something that would work well with my face shape and they were confused as to what I was talking about. It was really weird. I guess it's time to explore shops and studios again.

13. Hexagon

Oh, and you'll have to consider how to convince the hairdresser/barber to cut your hair masculinely. If thats a word. If you go in looking like a girl, chances are that the person cutting your hair won't make the adjustments necessary to make it a male hair cut.

Personally, to get round this, I cut my hair myself, then got the barber to tidy it up.

14. WhiteRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^
    Y'know Hexagon, when I was just still a little kid and my mom determined what I wore, etc. I always had a short haircut (at that time just for practical reasons; I hated hair in my eyes, and I actually liked being taken for a boy so I didn't care, lol), and when she told the barber I was a girl (wrong start already! XD) and needed a short haircut, nine out of ten barbers would go NO shorter than shoulderlength. Once I've been given the best haircut of my life, which was short and set upright in spikes, like most young boys did. I fucking loved it. But it appeared that barber actually thought I was a boy, LOL! :grin:

What might help is tell the barber you've lost a dare/doing a bet/going to a costumed party/etc. and have to dress up as a guy as convincingly as possible, so you REALLY want a men's cut.

I have dreadlocks myself, and I love them, but annoy me at the same time, because they are kinda long and I feel like shorter hair would really improve my passing rate. But they are to precious to me to do the cut.

Besides that, The Cat, do I think you already look pretty convincingly male! :wink: (no idea about your voice tho') have some confidence!

This here is me: http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag80/Bella_Kohler/MeXD_zps76f361ce.jpg?t=1365349223 and I dunno whether I would pass or not, one side says yes, another no. I'm still pretty insecure about my passing abilities, especially when some dude called me "girl" I was like "AGHH! NO!" but then I was riding my mom's bike, which is really... womanly. So it could have been a fluke...? :S

Anyway, good luck with it! I'm still thinking about ways to 'masculinize' my dreadies (you can't really see them well on this pic, but anyway), getting a dreadhawk seems like a good option.

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um, cutting my own hair won't be happening any time soon. I tried to cut my hair when I was five and it was as you'd expect. It's one of the more embarrassing highlights of my life. I could do the "I lost a bet" thing, but I'm not sure if I'd sound convincing.

How I feel about the whole hair situation right now:

[​IMG]

16. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    WhiteRaven, your hair rocks I'm just saying. I also think you pass I'm a bit jealous really.

I've heard someone say to tell them you're doing a school play as a male character and need a men's cut for it. I've heard most people say to switch hair-dressers or go to a barber or something along those lines for some fresh input. I actually cut my own hair, it's not as hard as it looks. Especially if you get clippers, you really can't do much to mess things up. (I'm hoping to get some, I just use scissors for now). Anyways, yeah I hear you. I've been thinking about going to a barber for a cut so I can get some professional input >.> I keep feeling worried about my feminine facial features and if my hair style helps or not.
    Oh yes, and make sure to keep those sideburns short and square. Pixie cuts have long hair sideburns and are pointed, don't want that. It just doesn't look at all like a guy's side burns. All that says is, "I don't have facial hair" so keep it short.
    Try new things, and if you don't like it you CAN change it later. See what you like and don't like. :thumbsup:

17. WhiteRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Besides, hair grows back over time. It's nothing irreversible. If you don't like it, wait a bit and try something different. :slight_smile: (you could even get a wig, if it's that bad. I have seen a few wigs that were just AWESOME and really believable. My hair didn't fit under them tho')

And thanks a lot Ronin :slight_smile: I really need to stop being so self conscious about my pass-ability, as I think my main issue is confidence (and voice, I CAN talk pretty low, but shoot up in the high registers pretty quickly when talking to someone)
    But yeah, y'know what they say: you are your own worst judge.

18. Hexagon

I wasn't suggesting cutting your own hair and leaving it. Its just that if you go in to get your hair cut short while looking like a girl, chances are you'll get a girl's short hair cut, and that doesn't really help with passing. If you go in with a bad, but short hair cut, and you're passing, things will go much better, and they'll tidy it up and give you a decent hair cut.

19. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know, but still... I'm sure I'd end up goofing in some way. Plus, I might end up putting doing anything on hold until I can dig up more cash to play things safely.

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did selfies and my face is a lot fuller than I thought it was. I guess I'm back to the drawing board now.