1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaving and name

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Myra48, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Myra48

Ok, so I don't want to shave my legs and I haven't for the last 9 months or so but with summer comming up, and wearing shorts, I'm afraid people would look at me weird because I don't pass. I just look like a butch lesbian. And for now, I'm ok with that. I just want to be able to wear shorts and feel comfortable. My grandma would freak out too.
    Also I'm changing my name to shay. Do you think it sounds masculine enough? I like that it is androgynous because I don't think I'm actually ftm but rather genderqueer leaning towards ftm :slight_smile: so when you hear it, does it sound like either or, to you?

2. Just Jess

Ugh legs. Well back when I was in the opposite position - I wanted to shave my legs but couldn't - I would shave just under where shorts would cover it. I mean it still limited what I could wear but it still felt better than nothing.

So if you or anyone can't think of anything better, maybe just shaving everything below the knee and wearing baggy shorts?

3. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shay sounds like a male or female name to me. I think it's a great choice :thumbsup:

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Shay sounds like the name I go by. It seems androgynous enough.

As for the whole legs thing, shave if it makes you feel a lot more comfortable. Hair grows back anyway.
    Even before I identified as trans and tried passing, I used to not shave my legs out of laziness and I'd wear shorts. Nobody cared, lol.

5. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shay's a good choice for a name. I like it! :thumbsup: As for the shaving, have you tried waxing at all? It's more painful to do, but the hair comes back a lot slower. Go ahead and do what makes you feel comfortable though. Other people will eventually learn to get over their hangups of what they think you should look like.

6. DhammaGamer

If you don't want to shave your legs then don't. Freedom of expression is important, and if your family is going to give you shit about it then flash 'em the deuces. I think Shay is great :slight_smile: I went with Tristen, even though it's originally a male name, because it has the same first two letters as the name my parents came up with and because it is an androgynous name. It works great for me, and I bet Shay will work great for you :slight_smile:

7. I don't think you should worry so much about shaving your legs. I don't shave my legs (because I'm a lazy bastard), and no one cares.

8. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tristen is a real pretty name! :icon_bigg I went with the first name Vanessa and my middle being Sinopáá. I figured that there would be no confusion as to what gender I was with such a feminine sounding name. :grin:

9. suninthesky

I hear you on the shaving. I run track and we wear shorts/tank tops. I went all winter and longer, same as you and then I had a track race. So I shaved my pits and left my legs be. Frankly, I don't think you should need to change for other people, but I can relate to not wanting to get odd looks when I semi/pass. I wouldn't worry about your legs though, chances are most people won't notice.

10. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a cis girl and I've never shaved my legs. I wear shorts plenty of times, and no ones seems to notice.