1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a disease? (big post xD)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by rachelv, Apr 15, 2013.

1. rachelv

rachelv Guest

Hi, I am Rachel, new here. I'm form Brazil and I'm 16 now.
    That avatar I am using is me xD ( I draw caricatures and Illustrations)
    Since eleven i suffer some heavy mind diseases , and just started treating the disease at the age of 13.I'm fine now, but since always I have some

issues about my own sexuality. I never liked guys, this always have been unchangeable. But I never thought about being with girls neither. At least till

the end of the age thirteen when i saw a movie and there was a girl who kiss another girl and i was like "what the hell?" and i felt something good on

my stomach and had to pretty much get the hell out of there cause my mom said it was devil things.
    Since that day I never looked girls the same way before. I couldn't get close to them and I began to walk with the other guys and they pretty much

treated me like I was one of them and it was cool.
    I got punched in the stomach by some big guys till 4th grade because i used to wear boys clothes.
    I always dress large clothes, boy clothes, but never realized because my mom never said there was something wrong with it. But then on my 15 years

she sit down with me and said " Rach, i think you like wearing like this because you feel attraction by girls. Is that true?" and i said " I don't know, i

think I do" (note that i was super happy thinking that mom was understanding) then se said "well, you know this is devil things and God will punish
    you if you do things like kiss a girl, right?":eusa_naug

My face gone into a ridiculous expression , and all i could say was "...uh-hum".:confused:

I'm a really quiet, obedient person. I just play video games, watch Star trek and some old series. I study all day long to get into the computer

engineering college in my country, and I love it, I love just sit there and do my stuff alone. But we never get back to that point, the point that i think Im not a girl, or I'm a girl who like girls. Or I'm sick.:bang:

Hard to explain, I don't like to be called girly shit. I Have a friend who is gay, and we kinda trying to figure this things out. Cause nobody is there to
    explain things to us. And where I live people hate gays and lesbians, or whatever. (is hard enough to say you don't believe in God!)
    Now I felt in love with a female friend, and with my all childish thinking I thought all that signals were telling me she liked me. I just said to her, and she said she's straight, and I just lose a fucking friend cause she ain't talking to me again, she's disgusted.
    I wish I was a guy so she would like me.
    Why I don't just like girls, but want to hang out with guys and want them to treat me like one of them too? What If I was supposed to be a boy? Whats happening? Is the mind disease that I had that make me confuse stuff? Is possible that in the end i'm just sick?
    :help:

2. sillyolme

Welcome to EC!

No, what you are going through is totally natural and is far from a disease.

There is Sex and there is Gender. Sex is what you are biologically born as, whereas Gender is what you choose to identify as. It it completly okay to feel attracted to girls (You can't help who you are attracted to :slight_smile: ) and it is just as okay to feel you are not the Gender that matches your sex. I am sorry that your friends and family aren't supportive of this and remember that we will always be here if you want advice on how to go about things and even if you just want to rant. I hope they will eventually change their mind though (*hug*)

3. subterra

Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:
    The fact that you never liked guys and did start to like girls from 13 and on is nothing to be ashamed about, once you are able to fully accept it you will be happy about it.
    These things are not devil things, if god exists, he/she/it made you like that for a reason.
    The fact that you fell in love with a straight female friend is unfortunate and there is not much you can do about it, if you are certain your crush is straight, its best not to let them know you like them like that, since that can result in her breaking contact with you.
    There are more girls who like other girls, hang out with guys and do guy things, that is not a sickness at all.
    Take your time, figure out who you are, do not worry and live your life! :slight_smile:
    Aaron.

4. Niko

Exactly what Sillyolme said; Sex and gender is different. Don't forget that sexuality and gender are completely different as well. Sexuality is who you are attracted to and gender is who you identify as.

Now do you feel like a man trapped in a woman's body? Or do you just wish that you were a guy because then you'd be straight, and it'd be alright to like girls?

It's okay to be attracted to the same sex. Love is love, and you're not hurting anyone. You'll find a girl who is into other girls and will love you for who you are. You're only 16, and it's never too late to find love.

Now, if you feel like a man trapped in a woman's body, then that's completely okay too. You're not alone and you most certainly do not have some sort of disease. :slight_smile:

5. SilverGirl

hello there, its nice to see someone from the same country!

its unfortunate that you dont seem to have a lot of people to support you, i think that most of my family is like that too, except maybe for my mother

sadly that kind of thinking is pretty common in our country unfortunately, mostly because a lot of the population is extremely religious, like you said, its hard to even say you are an atheist here without people looking bad at you or thinking you are crazy or joking or something (i am one, and when i say i am, people usually react like this, so i tend to not be so outspoken about it)

but still, before worrying about how your friends and family will think of you, try to discover how do you feel about yourself first, but remember, there is nothing wrong with liking other girls or feeling that you are a boy not a girl, its just society in general that thinks this, just be yourself! do not worry about being who you are!

6. rachelv

rachelv Guest

Thanks guys, really help me with some questions. =)
    I don't quite understand "man trapped in a woman's body", It sounds weird and i don't get the idea. What it is exactly?
    I'm kinda relive that this is nothing to do with disease. Not completely sure, but kinda relive.
    I know it will not change anything trying to know stuff, but it helps.
    Thanks again.

7. sillyolme

Remember to come to us with what ever problems you might have :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 15th Apr 2013 at 06:02 PM ----------

Basically, you feel like you should have been born a man and don't feel at all like a girl, sometimes wishing you were born a man

8. Niko

It's a tad confusing, I'll try to put it simply. Basically you're born with a female's body, but you're really a guy on the inside. The two causes conflict which gives the person dysphoria.
    So take me for instance, I was born with a female body; but my gender identity is male. I feel like a guy and I know I'm a guy on the inside. Therefore I am male, despite my biological sex. But people see me as female, which bugs me a lot.

So I was just wondering if you felt that way or not. :slight_smile: But if you feel like a female, then you're a girl; and you can forget what I said.

9. rachelv

rachelv Guest

Yeah, that's exactly how it is, I don't feel female at all, I feel like I was supposed to be a boy.
    That's a disease right? "Things went wrong in mom's belly" and everything now is messed up?
    Sorry to bother, I really don't know such things

10. Niko

So you feel like a boy, now we're getting somewhere; and that is 100% okay. You may feel like you're broken or something is wrong with you, but really you're fine.
    Now, how do you feel about female pronouns? Do you not mind them or do just hate being called a girl? Also, what do you think about your genitalia. Do you feel like something is missing; are you disgusted by it? The second question I asked, is a big indicator that you may in fact be trans*.

It's not a disease though. When I hear the word disease, I automatically think of something contagious, and that if you rubbed against someone they'd catch it. That's not true at all.
    No one really knows what causes this; but the best theory that I have seen, is the person received an imbalance of the wrong hormones when in the womb. Basically FtMs were born with male brains and MtFs were born with female brains. Who knows if it's exactly true or not, but like I said it's just a theory.

Also, don't feel like a bother. :slight_smile: We're here to help you out, and answer any questions you have about this.

11. rachelv

rachelv Guest

What is "trans*"?
    I hate female pronouns. When someone say it, I stay mad and nobody understand (neither I do) I get irritated. When my friend say "dude" unconsciously, it sound just right, but then he say "sorry" right away and I want to kick his ass. Its like they're always playing around with me, but they don't.
    And I hate the shit I have between my legs. Nothing more to said about that =/
    I don't like my breast to, I do everything to make they look flat.
    =/

12. sillyolme

Gender and Sex don't match. Easiest way of putting it

13. Niko

Trans = Transgender. The little * after the word trans, just includes everyone that falls under that umbrella term, so no gender identity that someone might have is left out.

Only you know how you identify as; but I'll say this, from what you said it definitely sounds like you fall under this umbrella term. You may even possibly be a FtM (Female-to-Male).

I say umbrella term, because the word transgender houses a lot of different things. Such as genderqueer, genderfluid, crossdressers, drag queens/kings...etc. Don't worry about rushing into a label though, take your time to figure things out. It'll all come together within time.

14. rachelv

rachelv Guest

Cara, que legal xD Não tinha te visto ai, legal saber q tem pessoas do Brasil aqui também =) Obrigada pelo apoio

Dude, that's cool xD, I haven't seen you there, is nice to see other people from Brazil here =) thanks for the support!