1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the hell am I?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Batman, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People have always told me I'm a girl, so I've always identified as a girl but... I dunno. I don't get along too well with girls. I can much more easily relate to, and slip into easy conversation with guys. I rarely share common interests with other gals, and I tend to stray away from things that society often associates with the female gender role. That being said, I also posses some qualities from that role.

I don't feel like I'm in the wrong body. I'm totally cool with being a chick, ( the boobies are my favorite part.) but it's like I don't even belong in the female population. And I don't belong in the male population. I just kinda... float. I guess. any of this stuff sounding familiar? What would you guys place me under?

2. MetalAngel89

MetalAngel89 Guest

Nothing wrong with that. If you feel you're a girl then you're a girl. That's exactly how I am.. I am waaay more comfortable around guys because most of the time they are just way more chill and laid back and don't judge you for topics that you talk about and such. Girls freak out and run away when sex comes up and that is one of my favorite things to talk about! I really don't get along with girls unless they are similar to me in the head :wink:

3. Cougar

Cougar Guest

Perhaps you could think of yourself as a boyish girl? Someone who is independent-minded and has wider interests than just looking at the surface of things that are nearby? :icon_wink My cousins and my girlfriends are like that. On the other hand, many gay bottoms have the same interests as girls, which drives me often mad.

Don't think too much about homosexuality or gender roles, just give everything that thrills you a try.

4. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since you dont really have body disphoria it sound like your just a tomboy. Don't worry about it, you simply like "manly" things is what it sounds like.

5. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

One question that might be worth thinking about is whether you think you would be more comfortable living as a different gender. I don't mean whether you think it would be more convenient; I mean, if tomorrow everyone suddenly saw you as a different gender, how would you feel about it?

You sound like you are comfortable being a girl and generally are fine identifying as a girl, just one who isn't stereotypical. One good point brought up in this blog post is that the binary genders are also umbrella terms. There are many different ways to be a girl; maybe you just have to find the way that works best for you.

Edit: Also, now that a few people have weighed in, how do you feel about their responses? That, too, could contain information.

You can be trans* or genderqueer without having dysphoria.

#5 Tetraquark, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2013
  6. hiddenxrainbows

Well you could be a number of things. You could just be a girl, probably a tomboy. You could be genderqueer. It just depends on how you feel and what you wanna call yourself.

I kinda feel the same way. I feel like I don't fit in right with other girls because I'm not interested in the stuff they are, I'm just too different from them. I'm more interested in more "masculine" stuff I suppose. But I still don't feel like I fit in with men exactly, either. Most of the time, I don't really have a problem wih my being a girl, I don't think about it most of the time. Tho sometimes, I do feel a bit uncomfortable with the parts that I have. But it always seems to fade eventually and I forget about it. I guess I'm still kinda confused about myself as well and not sure if I'm really just a girl, or not.

If you're completely comfortable with your body, you might just be a tomboy. But youcould always be genderqueer, or something of the like. You'd just have to think about your feelings and do some research on stuff like that, to see if your feelings align with any of them.

7. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm no where close to being comfortable with my body, but while it might help a little, I don't think a different body would make much of a difference. Although, a dick would be hella fun too. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 21st Apr 2013 at 09:27 PM ----------

Well. All the responses are nice. Tomboy typically mean a girl who is guyish right? In the movies they are often portrayed as chicks who like mud and baseball and have a bunch of guy friends, if I'm not mistaken. But while I love mud, and my boys (baseball makes me sleepy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) I'm not like that. I'm not a girl with boy tendencies.

For a sucky example, let's pretend that girls are positively charged atoms, and boys are negatively charged atoms. I'm kind of like a neutral atom. Not in the way that I'm neither, but in the way that I have an equal amounts of protons and electrons. Does that make sense?

8. followtherabbit

I have a friend who is non-binary, no gender at all! Maybe you are just YOU when it comes to your gender ?

9. hiddenxrainbows

Lol yeah, dicks do sound like fun sometimes. And I just said that because you mentioned being fine with being a girl. That's what I meant, being generally satisfied with your sex. But since you're not completely comfortable with it, and apparently don't want to change to be a man, maybe you are nonbinary, like followtherabbit said. Maybe like genderqueer or something like that. Because I think they kinda don't feel like either sex either, or like in between or something like that.

Not that labels mattermuch, but that could be something to think about

10. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mmhm.. I've never really bothered much with labels before, but lately more and more people have been asking me what I actually am, and I'm left scrambling for an answer, freaking out. I wish I could just give them a straight answer.

I wish that gender for me was as simple as sexual orientation. At least then it's like "okay, what get's me hot and bothered?". But with gender, it's a totally different ball park. I wish I could better explain how I feel.

11. LailaForbidden

I feel the exact same way Batman. For now, i'm just identifying as a boyish girl because gender is just too abstract for me to figure myself out. Truthfully, some days I feel like I don't have a gender..

Have you considered labels such as agender or gender neutral? Or maybe your just right in the middle of the gender spectrum? Like a 3 on the kinsey scale, but one that is geared toward gender?

I wish I could help more, but i have the same issue. You're not alone, at least. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. hiddenxrainbows

I know what you mean. I remember when I first started questioning m sexual orientation, I thought that was bad enough. But questioning your gender is even harder! XD

If people are questioing you too much and trying to force an answer out of you tho, maybe you should just try to tell them the present truth. That you're not entirely sure right now. Try to tell them that you're in the process of figuring it out and not to question you too much about it. Because I know too many questions can get annoying. Just try not to freak out too much. You'll find your answer eventually.

And yes, it can definitely be hard sometimes to find the words to describe how you feel, especially with gender-related issues. But maybe you can ask a few non-cis people around here, ask them how they feel about their gender, how it feels to be a certain gender identity, how they came to the conclusion that they are indeed that gender identity, etc. Or search for different identities on the internet. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm really a woman or not, but for me, it's always helped me with situations to research things.

This might help a little. Gender identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some identities include: (and the definitions might vary for people, I'm just using ones I've seen on the internet)

Agender-not experiencing gender at all
    Bigender/genderfluid-switching back and forth between male and female
    Androgyne/intergender-being a mix between male and female
    Pangender-being a mix between all genders, or possibly switching back and forth between all genders
    Demigirl- “Can be used to describe either someone assigned female at birth who feels but the barest association with that identification, though not a significant enough dissociation to create real physical discomfort or dysphoria; or someone assigned male at birth who is transfeminine but not wholly binary-identified, so that they feel more strongly associated with “female” than “male,” socially or physically, but not strongly enough to justify an absolute self-identification as “woman."
    Demiboy-the opposite
    Neutrois-feeling neither male or female, like a third gender

Though you might like to research those words a little more, to see if any of them would actually describe you.

13. J Snow

First of all it should be noted that there is a significant difference between gender identity and gender expression. I identify as female, but I think I have a pretty androgynous gender expression. I don't really act like a stereotypical guy or girl. I act how I want, and I think that's best.

Attached is an image of a bunch of transgender identities, many of which are nonbinary. If you truly do have an issue with identifying as female, genderqueer may be a good label. The definitions of terms is widely debated, but my genderqueer friends tell me they use it as a term that just means neither man or woman. It seems like you just want some freedom from labels and that may be best.

I haven't been as active on here as I used to be, but if you'd like to have a one on one dialogue feel free to message me. Best of luck! (*hug*)

Attached Files:

14. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agender, perhaps?

15. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks dude. Seriously. I'm constantly surprised at how crazily supportive everyone on EC is. You seem to get what I'm saying pretty well, too. I might just take you up on that offer.:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 22nd Apr 2013 at 08:57 PM ----------

Hmm, this is probably the closest to what I've been feeling. Still not exactly, but it's a good start. Plus, Demigirl sounds insanely badass. :lol:

16. hiddenxrainbows

Yeah, I can kind of identify with it as well. Sometimes it's hard finding the right label tho. But at least you could possibly use it for right now, if you wanted that is. And them hopefully find something else that fits better later. Haha yeah, it kinda does. Definitely has a nice ring to it ^_^