1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Androgynous? FTM?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ronin, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everyone. So I'm thinking I feel possibly a bit toward the androgynous side of FTM. I feel like my body is all wrong, like I should have a male body in all respects, but I've noticed that with things like, when I am dreaming, I see myself as non-gendered. But when I am out and about, I prefer to be associated with male. I have masculine interests, I only like men's clothing (on myself anyway), want a male body, but almost want to be in the middle still. Maybe I'm just getting tired of all the stereotyping and people telling us what we should be, I don't know haha. Lately, I've been seeing the gender lines becoming very blurry, could this just be a result of that? Anyone else have experiences like this? Anyone else noticing the lines blurring between genders?

2. Hexagon

Oh yes. No one has to be either completely male or completely female - thats an lie constructed by the gender binary. This even applies to transitioned people. I know plenty of transguys who don't identify as 100% male, and I suppose I would be one of them. Just be who you are, and forget about whether your traits and interests are supposed to belong to a man or woman. There's a difference between identifying as male and conforming to the man's gender roles.

3. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah it's so interesting how blurred those lines are now. Maybe it's a good thing. I wonder where the whole gender binary comes from because not all cultures have believed in that.

4. J Snow

I would like to point out that there is a difference between gender identity and gender expression. I kind of struggled with this too, but here is how I tend to think about it.

Though you may like to do things that our society typically deems "feminine," while you do them would you want to be thought of as a male, female, or androgyne while you engage in them?

In my case, I really act like a dude sometimes. I'm a nerd. I love talking about video games and other nerdy stuff. I dress pretty tom boyishly. I mostly just wear jeans, tshirts, and hoodies. However, that's just my gender expression. I still cringe when someone calls me sir, because my identity is that of a woman.

However, I'm not going to act like my gender expression has to fit into this little female box. I'm sick of spending my whole life trying to fit the male box, why would I trade it for another one.

Acting feminine/masculine does not really effect your identity. Your identity is simply how you want to identify =P

5. justjade

I have trouble with this, too. I've always felt very much on the masculine side. I was born female, but I have trouble talking to girls and always get along better with guys. I do, however, like to go out in a dress and heels once in a while. It comes and goes. It's all really confusing. I'd like to have a more masculine body myself, although, if I did, I can see myself becoming super-girly to balance it out. I'm not sure what it is. I know what you mean by the stereotypes, too. I hate how all the jobs I've worked in the past have stuck me up front with the customers just because I have boobs! :bang:

Anyhoo, it's a relief to know that there are people out there like me who are having the same/similar issues. I wish you the best. Self-explanation is hard to do! Keep on keepin' on!