1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am cis-male, but gender seems pretty... irrelevant. At least to me.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MorningWattler, May 6, 2013.

1. MorningWattler

Out Status:
    A few people
    First of all, hi, this is my first thread on here (already liking the place), and I look forward to 'booting and helping others myself :slight_smile:

Even though I've only had experiences with girls, I consider myself pansexual, since I can feel genuine attraction towards any variation of person. As I always say, minds don't have genders, bodies do. And I'm proud of it. Hell, in a way, I've made myself go from hetero to pan- by forcing myself to see the attractiveness in all people, rather than just be satisfied with one gender. As greedy as I am open-minded, huh.
    Gender identity is another thing. I was born biologically male and I accept myself as a male. BUT. I know very well the difference between biological sex and gender identity. I am cis-male. But what does that mean to me? I don't really go after what's "considered male" or avoid what's "considered femme". I'll have a beer if I want to, play with my hair if I feel like it, cross my legs "both ways" depending on what I feel comfortable.. When somewhat drunk and less afraid of judgement, this is true tenfold. I feel as if there wouldn't be much of a difference if I was a girl. I'd still be the same good-old me, acting the exact same way.

I'm not trans-, but what if I were? What would change if I identified with being female? In the extreme, saying that I comply with a gender feels like I'm implying the ol' "women do the dishes, with soap opera breaks and men go work in the football..factory...of beer".
    Especially when alone, when I am "what I am in the dark", I don't feel of any gender. I won't do this just because it's a guy thing or avoid that because girls do it. I feel free from those things. Only thing limiting me is the close-mindedness of those around me. But even then I don't REALLY force myself to act some way other than my innate code. I feel like I am a complete human, encompassing both/all/neither of the genders. I pity those that won't wear their hoodies around their waist because they heard women do it or that will avoid complimenting a person of the same gender for fear of sounding "gay".

I don't even feel a need to label myself, since I don't much care for the inaccuracy of most, since we're all a shade between two or more. But I'm very interested in this. What fits me best? Just a guy with a high disregard for tradition and norms or some sort of genderfluid being?

Thanks in advance,
    Morn' :wink:

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You got you cis-males and your trans-males?

3. MorningWattler

Out Status:
    A few people
    I...erm..what?

4. Reptillian

I agree with you that it's irrelevant. Gender roles is far more relevant in the past because of certain differences in physical abilities, gender roles is becoming less importance as technology and cultures close the gap on the differences between males and females. Other than that, studies are inconclusive on psychological differences between males and females. There might be neurological differences, but it appears that it seem that both genders are equal in mental abilities and even psychological behaviors. Also, some people don't believe in gender, but they think of sex as not a black and white thing. There's males, female, and varieties of intersexed conditions.

5. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree! I just want to be who I am, and if that means I like a Sports Team or want to go to a tea party it's not a gender issue to me. It's just me being who I am.

Gender is also pretty irrelevant to me. I'd likely be the same if I was born male and who cares?

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sound like me. I posted a similar thing awhile back about myself.