1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dysphoria question?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ThinkingZeno86, May 22, 2013.

1. Hey everyone, so I've been thinking about gender a lot. I've noticed that my thoughts of needing to be a woman haven't gone away over the years. But I also know that I've been absolutely terrified of expressing my femininity because I would be seen as less of a person for not being manly enough in society's eyes. At least that's the way it comes across to me. So I'm reminding myself to be femme in small ways so I can overcome my fear. Fear seems to be like a habit, once you get stuck in it you have to really push yourself out of it.

Sometimes I will feel the testosterone inside of me and I think of guys like the Rock and I know that's not me! I don't always feel feminine, sometimes I feel macho but I don't really like seeming or feeling that way. It just bothers me a lot. But as I've been pushing myself away from my fear, I've been comparing myself to women and keep remembering how my reflection doesn't show me how I see myself inside, in my heart of hearts. It just bothers me intensely but not 24/7. How frequent does dysphoria really bother you all? I know we have MtF and FtM here, and I was just wondering if what's going through my head is common or not..:bang::confused:

2. Eli

Eli Guest

I think your experience is fairly normal. My guess is that for most transgender people, dysphoria is not a 24/7 experience-- not that it can't be, but 24/7 dysphoria would make me unable to function at all.

I have periods when I enjoy being feminine, but they're infrequent and only in special circumstances. Most of the time I feel more confomfortable being me as I get farther in transition. The more I pass, the less I feel dsyphoric. I think your experiences are perfectly normal in terms of dysphoria and I wouldn't let it worry you undully.

3. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah it varies on the person. Sometimes I like being in guy mode and it doesn't bother me, but if I see myself or anything like that it hits me. I also hate shaving my face (mostly because it's annoying) but also because I shouldn't have to shave there you know? So yeah I'd say what you're feeling is pretty common. Sorry the dysphoria's getting to you hun... (*hug*) If you ever need to vent or anything just send me a message. :grin:

4. DelFelidae

I basically always feel dsyphoric, maybe not quite 24/7 though. Sometimes I feel really feminine, and that makes me really happy. Other times I somewhat feel... androgynous, but I don't ever really feel masculine. So, it feels like I'm either really feminine, slightly feminine or neutral. So when I look at myself in the mirror, almost every time I get really depressed or uncontrollably obsessive because I feel my male body is a massive contradiction to everything I've ever wanted or felt, which drives me crazy. I spend hours trying to find femininity about my body, which makes me really unhappy. So, yeah...It does bother me a lot, but it still doesn't completely incapacitate me somehow. Somehow, I manage.

This is just my experience...Everyone is different and feels differently.

5. Wow thanx you all! It seems like the more I talk about this stuff, the more my doubts fade away. I'm so glad we have a safe place like Empty Closets to talk about it, when people I know in real life wouldn't necessarily be able to relate as they've never experienced those emotions and thoughts.