1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice Training?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PurpleRain, May 24, 2013.

1. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So how can I do voice training secretly..? I'm really, really sick of my guy voice, but I'm always either watching a 5-year-old or there are a ton of people in my home made of paper walls... :dry: I am however going to my dads this weekend and staying for about a week and he works evenings so I'll be the only one there so in that case what I'll need is good reference for the voice training.

What resources are the absolute best for this kind of training? I'm a vocalist so I can pick up on this kind of thing fairly quickly I'm just having trouble finding a really good video to help me. Also, does anyone know where I can find a reference for singing in my new octave? I really, really would appreciate that if anyone has it because singing is really important to me.

Thanks in advance for any replies. :grin:

2. Hexagon

There was a (very long) article I read a couple of years ago about voice training for transpeople. It was mainly geared towards women, but I managed to take a lot from it anyway. I learned to change my voice long before I got hormones. Everything I used I found on google, and most of it applied to girls as well. Sorry I can't give you a link, but google it and you may find it.

A lot of it dealt with changing your intonation and inflections, as well as just pitch. Anyway, good luck with it. Its SO helpful for passing. I don't know about singing though, sorry.

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Hexagon, if you ever find that article, would you mind leaving a link? :3

I've got a very high, feminine voice which I despise. Singing, I can work myself down to an alto but I'm still obviously a woman. ;p So any tips on being able to work myself down a couple octaves would be great.

4. Hexagon

I will, but like I said it was a couple of years ago. Since you asked from a male POV, though, I do have something to suggest. Try leaning your head back so your chin is higher, and saying words like 'boom' as low as you can. Sounds weird, but I can across it in a youtube video and it actually seemed to help me. Also, your voice is capable of going lower that the natural pitch at which you speak, so think carefully before you speak, focus on making it lower. Eventually you will do it without thinking. Use less variation in pitch than women do, and don't get excited.

Or you could try hormones.

5. Just Jess

The best Youtube series I've found is CandiFLA's series. Otherwise on youtube there's a girl named Charlotte/Karmatic and another girl named Jesslyn (she's in a band and plays guitar in one of her videos) who have really great tips.

I'm kind of lucky now that I have more opportunities to practice openly. When I was just starting out though, I practiced with old Alice in Chains songs. They sing in harmony, so there's a low part and a high part. So I would just sing the high part. Then I would "mess up" some of the lyrics intentionally so I could hear how I was sounding every now and then.

Otherwise my "lecture notes" from the videos I watched are:

* Keep your voice box small. Talk like the old geezer from Family Guy.
    * Use your head more than your chest; move your tongue around when you're talking.
    * Start in falsetto, exercise your muscles, drink lots of water, then drop down to a more natural tone
    * Pronounce everything

I'd like it if someone found a video or web info on singing too. Moving up from e to f in the higher octave, that transition from chest voice to head voice, for me it's still really hard to do and my voice cracks a lot.

6. Theodora

I didn't find CandiFLA's method that helpful for myself... but falsetto is just really difficult/uncomfortable for me, and I already sing at a moderately high pitch so trying to raise my speaking tone the same way I do it when I'm singing seems more natural than trying to drop from falsetto. I really like Jesslyn's voice though. :slight_smile:

Alice in Chains is a really good idea! I've been singing Hole songs alot lately but I think they actually sing higher than Courtney. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. DelFelidae

My voice has only changed very slightly since it broke(In fact I'm not really sure if it's even broken yet), so, I end up sounding like Mickey Mouse when I do the falsetto voice training...Which I don't want, yet when I try to bring it down I either end up sounding really breathy or nasal. It's horrid!