1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question for all bisexuals

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TheAMan, Jun 5, 2013.

1. TheAMan

For all my bisexuals, when you came out, where people a bit skeptical of you as if they didn't believe you were bi?

I've been out as bi for almost two years. Everyone I have told, minus one, accepts me for who I am. However, some people are a bit skeptical as if they don't believe I'm bi. They ask questions such as "Have you ever had a boyfriend or girlfriend?" "Have you ever had sex with a guy or a girl?" "If you have never had sex with a girl then how do you know you like girls?" I tell them that I have had a girlfriend but never a boyfriend and that I have had sex with a guy but not a girl. I also say that I'm still sexually and emotionally attracted to men and women but for men it's more sexual and women it's more emotional. The most common response I get to that answer is that I can't have it both ways or that I'm just being greedy.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and why do people seem to think we are lying about being bisexual?

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they tend to think that because some people use coming out as bi as a stepping stone to coming out as gay.

3. Martjain

There are a tons of posts, threads and even youtube videos addressing biphobia.
    People often say: Bi ppl are greedy, confused, undecided, which can be true for some, but not all.
    Some things I've heard is that when a bi person is in a relationship, he/she's no longer bisexual.
    Check out this video from a bi girl.
    BISEXUALITY: MYTHS vs FACTS - YouTube

Also, I too have a more sexual connection with men and a more emotional one with women! :slight_smile:

#3 Martjain, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've had friends and acquaintances say 'it's just a phase' or 'you're simply curious', while others have practically started treating me as a gay best friend. Multiple gay men have ignored the 'bisexual' part and began referring to/treating/seeing me as simply another gay man - mildly annoying, and best not contested. Of course, to many straight guys, I'm just another one of the hundred varieties of 'faggot', so no use explaining there.

The majority of people seem to take me on my word, though. If you appear confident and self-aware, they'll believe you and treat you accordingly and with respect. Since there aren't many 'out and proud' bisexual men, naturally, there's curiosity and fascination, which I don't mind at all. We need all the awareness we can get.

@Ettina It's called an egocentric fallacy. Perhaps it was more common in the past for gay men and lesbians to come out as bisexual, using it as a stepping stone, but today, with the loosening of shackles, I think your chances of seeing both genuine gays and bisexuals coming out are greater than ever before.

5. Martjain

Oh also, I agree with Ettina, biphobia or bi skepticism may come from people using being bisexual as a stepping stone to say they are gay (which I'm totally fine about, coming out is difficult, and if that makes it easier, be our guest :slight_smile: ) but also, people tend to think sexuality, as much as gender, is black or white, and they couldn't be more wrong, they are spectrums, big spectrums, and it's very complicated to classify each point in the spectrum.

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2013 at 04:15 PM ----------

YES! Totally, many people when I tell them I'm bi automatically assume I'm gay. Which annoys the crap out of me, cause it's not me, I'm not gay, but bisexual.<

Another thing people think is that, if you're bisexual, you have to be attracted in the same way, on the same level, and at the same time, to both genders. Which also is a big mistake, some bisexuals are, but I'm sure most aren't.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    EXACTLY. This is a huge pet peeve of mine:

*friends see me in a relationship with a man*
    So you're gay now?
    *friends see me in a relationship with a woman*
    Ah, so you're straight again.

No, you idiots, I'm still me, regardless of who I'm dating. I see male/female much the same as I see short/tall, dark/light, wavy hair/straight hair and shouldn't have to feel my choices invalidate my identity.

One of the more obnoxious perceptions is that bisexuals are attracted to everyone and anyone. No, not any more than gay people are attracted to all other same-sex people, or straight people are attracted to all opposite-sex people.

It's easier for me to physically find myself attracted to women, but on an emotional level, it's more common for men to have those qualities I find irresistible.

7. TheAMan

To me, no offense to anyone, but I don't like it when people use bisexual as a stepping stone because I feel it makes it harder on the true bisexuals and then we get a bad rap from straight people and gay people.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, there's that perception that bisexuals are hyper-sexed when it's just that they might be more versatile in their attractions.

The most disturbing thing, for bisexual men, is how bisexual women are really accepted by men and this has long been the case, whereas even in 2013, bisexual men are often, though not always, spurned by women who know the whole story. I don't understand the problem. Ok, so, as a woman, you find another woman's body stimulating. What's so wrong about a guy also finding a guy's body stimulating? If I find the YouTube of a few girls questioning a bisexual guy on a TV show, I'll post it.

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2013 at 01:22 PM ----------

No offense taken. A lot of people think this. What occurs in many cases is that there is a level of sexual attraction to both genders, with different levels of emotional attraction to the genders, which can be hard to reconcile, and sometimes little to no emotional attraction at all.

9. LailaForbidden

I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again: Straight men don't exactly accept bisexuals. A lot of them see us as living, breathing sex toys. As threesomes. As easy. There's a reason 1 out of every 2 bisexual woman are raped.

It's not acceptance, that's the hypersexual stigma. Objectification.

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2013 at 01:44 PM ----------

And to answer the OP's question. My mom thought I was going through a phase. Dunno if that counts.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I should say it differently. There are men who, in a committed relationship or even marriage, have or would accept a bisexual woman as a mate. Angelina Jolie is one such person, among many that are famous and ordinary women in the crowd. I feel that women are not as likely to accept a committed relationship with a bisexual man. I went on a date with a woman I really liked and she was REALLY concerned that I hadn't ever been married, and most guys sort of are by their mid-30s, and there were only a few and very guarded dates after that.

11. TheAMan

Yeah I agree that straight men like female bisexuals because they find girl on girl to hot and they see it as a gateway to fulfill the ultimate male fantasy of two girls at one time. However, just because it is sexual, doesn't mean straight men don't accept bisexuals. All the straight men I know are cool with female bisexuals. It's the male ones that straight guys have a problem with.

#11 TheAMan, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  12. biggayguy

Yes, some of my friends think that I'm just in transition on the way to being fully gay. If so, it is taking it's sweet old time. :bang: I'm quite sure that I'm attracted to both sexes but not equally. Right now it's about forty percent for men and sixty percent for women. Those numbers tend to be fluid though.

13. LailaForbidden

Alright, I can see your point. Maybe it's more of... acceptance, but for all the wrong reasons? I mean, I know some straight men are cool with bisexual women as human beings rather than a fantasy, but I've had more than one man tell me that bisexual women aren't relationship material, implying that they would only have a casual relationship with one.

And yeah, it's a sad fact of reality that bisexual men are so discriminated against by people. I feel for you guys. (&&&)

14. TheAMan

That's what people just don't understand about us. They think we have to like each sex equally when that's just not true. I would say it's 60% men 40% women for me. It doens't make us greedy or confused. It's just who we are.

15. freedom200

freedom200 Guest

im not out yet but I'm still pretty sure people will think im gay

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep. That's what I see. And they have a problem with bi guys they'd be cool with - if they weren't bi.

17. Maea96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i've been out as bi to 1 good friend and a few other "friends," and my mother and father for a few months. (sister and brother left to go) And none of them expected it from me at all. Now, I don't have the deepest voice or manliest body, but I do act a little feminine at times. I never talk about boys (because I don't want to make it overly obvious, and I don't know how to deal with a situation where I'm asked about my sexuality yet) But in return I never talk about girls. I wonder if people are having a hard time figuring it out?

Many times I just want to say: that dude is f***ing hot, but I just can't.
    And I never really talk about this with my parents because they know it's a little embarrassing to me.

But to the point.. I am mostly gay, but I do like females a bit too. I have to tell people unless they are very sharp. So coming out so far has been a (positive) huge surprise to most.

18. Spurned

Spurned Guest

I have had a fair few... "simple minded" people who said "How are you sure? Have you had a girlfriend? Have you kissed a girl?! Have you had sex with a girl?!?!" (I'm biologically female) after coming out as bi with previous boyfriends. I never had much hassle a few years later when I showed people how serious I was and how mature I was about it. Almost 4 years later and I'm pretty sure I still like boys and girls.

Simple minded people I refer to as people who I wish I'd never spoken to and don't want to interfere with ever again.

So, school children.

I think it's just a bit of a shock to some people, like if you saw an asteroid fall out of the sky, you wouldn't be all "Cool.", like if it's a first time thing, first encounter with a bisexual, then I can understand.

19. TheAMan

I'll be honest. I have no idea how to deal with being asked about my sexuality. I was asked by some of my friends in college what I was and I just mumbled something and tried to dodge the question but they just kept asking me. I eventually told them I was bi and they were cool with it.

20. I thought I was bi at first, but that is because I am married to a man. I first had to accept that I am sexually attracted to women and work from there.

I am worried that when I do fully come out, my family will assume I am bi.