1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which label applies best to this convoluted situation?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Badaxe, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Badaxe

****First off, I know there are more ways to have sex with men than just PIV. But as I grew up, that was the only knowledge of sex (with men) I ever had. So I always associated it with being penetrated. And since I wasn't attracted to men, naturally, the idea of being penetrated by one made me uncomfortable.****

So, I’ve been attracted to women for as long as I can remember. Until 9th grade, I was exclusively attracted to them. I tried so hard to be attracted to just 1 guy, but it never worked. I was terrified that I’d have to admit to myself that I was a lesbian. Deep down I knew it was true, but I was determined to force straightness, even if I had to pretend. I didn’t want to deal with the bullying. I grew up around very homophobic people.

I don’t know if this is possible, but it explains my situation pretty well: I feel like my attraction to men is underdeveloped, or half-baked. Because I had to actively, obsessively search for it. I’d survey every guy I came across, asking myself, ‘is he cute?’ or ‘could I imagine being with him?’ and the answer was always no. The only time I ever felt attraction to men (which was rarely) was if I was friends with one first, and if he expressed interest first. The emotional bond made it easier for physical desire to develop. Finally I fell for a guy in 9th grade. I felt very sexual toward him, but when we tried to have sex, I tensed up and pulled away. This happened a couple more times with different guys. I’d like them, be fine with touching them, but when they’d try to enter me, that lifelong discomfort about sex with men popped up again and I just couldn't do it.

I've been with 1 girl, and it was so natural and much more fulfilling than any experience I've ever had with a man. No anxiety at all. But shame defeated me. I never spoke of it and told myself I’d make myself straight. But still, I was crushing on girls left and right and even fell deeply in love with my best friend. I didn't have to search for the attraction to women. It was always my natural inclination. I never 'questioned' it, it’s a reality I've always known, even when I tried to ignore it. On the other hand, my attraction to men was sort of 'learned' or pried out of me. If I had never looked for it, if I'd grown up unafraid of being gay, I wouldn't have even noticed it in the first place.

So I tried and tried to force myself to have PIV sex, but the discomfort always resurfaced and I’d pull away and sometimes have a panic attack. The guy was always bewildered, and one called me a prude. I’m not, I have a high sex drive, am sex-positive, and can be with women just fine. But nothing can penetrate me, literally, because every time I try, I feel this unbearable searing pain like corrosive acid being poured into my vag, and it gives me a panic attack. At first I thought there was something physically wrong with me, so I went to a gynecologist. She almost couldn't examine me because I kept pulling away and had a panic attack. She determined I was normal down there, but that I had grade 5 primary vaginismus. We determined its origin to be psychological, arising due to my ingrained aversion to sex with a man and my repeated failed attempts, and it became a phobia.

I’m in a long term relationship with a man, but I’m not happy. I did feel sexual for him at first, and was in love with him, but it faded, and we're distant now, and I just don’t want to try with men anymore. I can’t feel attraction to them anymore. I just can’t. When I finally unashamedly embraced the 'gay' part of myself, it came rushing forward like a broken dam and drowned out my ability to be attracted to men at all.

I plan on being exclusive with women for the rest of my life. I'm 23 now, tired of stuffing it down, I want to be who I am. The question is: do I have the right to call myself a lesbian, since it feels more natural and more convenient for me, or would that be disrespectful to other lesbians, since I have been able to fall in love with and be sexual with men in the past, in my half-baked way? I don't want to upset anyone who knows that I've mostly been with men, I don't want them to think I'm 'faking' or 'just confused'. Or should I just call myself bisexual, even though I’m not interested in men at all anymore and hardly was in the first place, and would give people the false impression that I still like men?

Thanks so much for any answers :slight_smile:

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I approved this thread for you. Sorry about that.. it got caught up in moderation.

3. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Don't worry about other lesbians. Hell yeah you have a right. Call yourself what you like and if you end up being with someone who doesn't meet "lesbian criteria" or if your love life doesn't reflect all the "bisexual/lesbian" criteria, so what? That's you. I don't think you calling yourself this or that disrespects anyone of this or that because your love life and personal feelings has got shit to do with them. Only worry about your comfort level. Once you feel good saying "I'm this," then leave it at that and if you end up with someone who doesn't match what you said you were, :shrug: who gives a fuck? Anyone who wants to be offended by what you label yourself or wants to tell you you're confused or being disrespectful...well they can respectfully go fuck themselves. Eh, I just don't think it's necessary to re-examine and re-label yourself all for other people's benefit, you know?

#3 WillowMaiden, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  4. Badaxe

I know I technically 'have the right' to call myself a lesbian. But in order for me to feel comfortable with the label, I need to know that I wouldn't be misrepresenting it. I take labels pretty seriously, because using them too loosely or blurring the lines too much can render them ambiguous.

Obviously being lesbian means being only attracted to women. But I was able to like men, albeit with many limitations to that attraction. And I do feel that it was mostly, if not completely, socially instilled in me. It was a learned attraction, which was why it had so many limitations and awkwardness in the first place. However, I was able to unlearn it. I literally cannot find men attractive at all anymore, which is just more proof of how weak and 'learned' the attraction was in the first place.

So I guess the answer to my question depends on whether or not you believe that a closeted lesbian can, under certain conditions (e.g. surrounded by homophobia, threats of violence and social exclusion, self-hatred, obsessive attempts to make oneself straight), be socially conditioned to at least somewhat be attracted to men.

I'd really appreciate some more input, especially from other lesbians. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 21st Jun 2013 at 02:36 PM ----------

Also, please, no one tell me that 'love doesn't need a label' or 'love doesn't have a gender'

That's erasure. Labels have meanings, they help people find identity, share their identity and experiences, find other people with similar identities and lives experiences, find community, etc.

5. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Dude, I totally agree about labels, not to your extent, but I do agree. Labels are important. People like to know what they're dealing with, what to expect from it and all that jazz. I love to know what I'm dealing with. I label as many things in my life as possible, use pre-conceived notions like a fucking black light when entering 99% of situations. I'm a neurotic freak like that. :lol: I don't take to all that "free love" or "love is love, man" hippy dippy stuff. I feel like I might have been giving that vibe or something, but that's not what I mean at all.

To answer your question about the lesbians being able to at any point in a certain kind of situation/environment be attracted to males for whatever reasons, yeah they can. I don't think that takes away from them being a lesbian. Probably more than half of the lesbian population started "straight" and been with dudes, even loved one or three. If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be a term for girls who never have.

Honestly, what it really feels like you're asking (and I'm not trying to give you shit, so please don't get pissed) is for the approval of other lesbians and that's a foreign concept to me. The reason I feel like we're disagreeing a little bit on the label thing is because I am a total loner, so I don't care about the finding other people/community part. I don't relate to that desire. I'm not saying that's a good thing or that you wanting to be in a community of same persons is bad or stupid, I'm just explaining why I can't agree on the importance of labels to the extent you are. Basically, I see no point in over analyzing every bit of your sexuality post-coming out as whatever just because you didn't "start out" in the romantic world a lesbian. You banged dudes, realized you were gay, then started being with chicks. What more is there to discuss? You feel like you're not "pure" lesbian or some bullshit like that? :lol: The reason one would over analyze like you seem to be doing is to make sure they get in with the right group, their group, find their people, right? Yeah, that's what I don't get. I don't care for any of that shit, so it wouldn't bother me a bit to still call myself a lesbian even if I was dating a transsexual woman who wanted to keep her Johnson. I wouldn't feel like I was misrepresenting a community or my people and certainly not myself because well, I'm an anti-social fucker. :lol: I certainly don't care what other lesbians thought because I'm just not a community oriented person at all. I don't care that they'd think I'm not being a "pure lesbian" or "true lesbian," I bet that second one gets tossed around a lot. :rolle:

See, at first, I thought you were getting down on yourself over this, so I wanted to make you feel better, which is why I said only care about your comfort level because that's how I would approach any angsty feelings about it. Now, I feel like what you're talking about is the importance of being accurately labeled down to the letter and that being the key to approval by fellow lesbians (who most have probably had their share of dicks before coming out and stuff, too so it's not like they could be judgy about it and I still think anyone who is judgy about it is some kind of ego-dick.) Anyway, I like to keep things simple because my thinking is "who would I be trying to be accurate for" you know? The answer being other people, who I don't like because I'm a misanthropic bastard. hahaha So yeah. I don't know, hopefully some other lezzies can relate to you on this and give better feedback than I did. :icon_bigg

6. Badaxe

I'm not pissed, don't worry. Also, I didn't direct that last bit of my post at you lol, I should have specified. I've just been told that too many times ("You don't need a label! LoVe Is LoVE!") and it's always shut down any further honest discussion. So forgive me for being a little defensive.

But anyway, you're actually right, I am looking for the approval of other lesbians. I have no way of knowing how many of them might reject me because I've mostly been with guys. I used to be extremely anti-social and anti-community as well. I convinced myself I didn't need anyone, went 6 years without a single friend, told myself I was better off that way. I was convinced that most people would end up mistreating and misunderstanding me.

I regret it, so much. I can't deny anymore that I'm really really fucking lonely. I've never felt so isolated and full of regret. I wish I had a group of like-minded friends or a community I could lean on. I have no one. And I'm stuck now because I'm financially dependent on the guy I'm "with" (we're not intimate anymore, I came out to him, but he's still holding onto me because he's obsessed), and I don't know how to start 'putting myself out there' into the world, because I'm extremely social phobic, on top of having Asperger's, so my social and self-care skills have deteriorated substantially. My job sucks and idk how the fuck I'm gonna be able to make it on my own. The only way to really start building my confidence and social skills is to find a friend or two who could help ease me into being who I am and maybe find someone to love. If I don't, if I stay isolated and dependent, I'm gonna be alone and stuck for the rest of my life. I'd rather be dead.

If an independent, misanthropic life works for you, that's great. I just can't do it, I'm not suited for it.

So yeah I'm pretty wary about acceptance. I just wanted to know how likely it'd be for me to be accepted, how easy (or hard) it'd be to integrate myself into some sort of lesbian community. I want to know what to expect. I don't want to be rejected or mistrusted by lesbians who think I'm just a confused straight or bi girl. And idk how likely that is to happen. Idk how many of them think that way.

I'm not gonna act like I'm too cool to want social acceptance, to need other people, like I'm somehow immune to the damaging psychological effects of isolation and loneliness. It's already caused a great deal of mental illness in me. I like people, I'm just scared of them, and I don't have anyone. So I figure the best way to get my life on the right track, to finally feel like myself, would be to find other people like me. I'm not completely 'out' yet to everyone, so I'm just really worried about how I might be received when I am out.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sister, I understand your concern about labels, but it saddens me that you're so worried about "cheapening" or "appropriating" the term lesbian. It clearly applies to you. I don't think you're bisexual. I don't even think you're demisexual. Although you did describe it (as in, you have experienced genuine attraction to men as long as you had developed a significant emotional connection first, like friendship), the subsequent revulsion you describe around sex with a man worries me. I really, really don't want you suffering through trying to be with men if you don't want to be penetrated by them. I am a little worried that this is a continuation of a pattern of you being ashamed or scared about homophobic emotional abuse and therefore wanting to cling to some kind of straightness. But, honestly, I don't think it's really there.

Let me be clear. There's nothing wrong with you. You're not broken for liking women. Some people may be assholes about it, but they are patriarchal jerks anyway. They can't control your sexuality. That's yours, and nobody can take it away from you.

8. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Oh okay, now I get why this is so important to you. I used to crave communities like that too, but always was or felt like a reject any time I tried to enter one, which led to these angry resentful feelings towards the whole idea of them. It was to a point where I would try to make myself fit in places I obviously didn't belong and it just made the rejection sting even worse. I have Aspergers, too, that went undiagnosed for my entire childhood/teenhood, so I totally relate to those feelings. It's rough trying to find a place to belong when you can't even small talk your way out of a paper bag. Also, now that I know you're an aspie, this very technical checklist approach of yours makes so much more sense and I'm sympathetic to it. I get it why you're approaching acceptance that way, you're just trying to be prepared for anything/everything. It's like the scripts I make for myself before walking into highly stressful social interactions.

Honestly, the only reason being misanthropic works for me is because I have someone. One friend, my very best friend, who became the important person in my life that I need to stay alive for. By some miracle, my last year of high school at a brand new school, when I was at that "I'd rather die than be alone any longer" crossroads, I met someone freakily just like me (loner homo aspie) just when we were both on the verge of calling it quits on life.

Once we bonded, I redirected my desire. I only wanted to be accepted by her, she became the only community I'd ever want to be apart of. And I for her. (In real life we really do talk this way about each other, call each other soul mates, other halves, and all. Would you believe that we're not romantically involved? Not many people do :lol:slight_smile: Anyway, I decided I didn't need anyone else, especially not any kind of community because there's always that catch. Even though they say differently, there's always this air of "you have to be this kind of us to be accepted" and since I always fail to meet people's criteria, I didn't want to even try anymore. Then, thanks to the chance meeting of a lifetime, I don't really feel a strong need to try. It's kept us both in a very tight comfort zone, which is most likely unhealthy on the grand scale of things (because we're really codependent) but we feel good about it still. We'd rather be unhealthily codependent together, then socially healthy out there with people.

Anyway, I'm sorry you're in such a shitty spot right now. If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure a majority of people won't get so technical about your sexuality. The ones that do will be assholes that other lesbians will probably tell to fuck off for you. I've heard people can be nice like that. I know the vote of confidence seems weird coming from me, since I basically just said I don't trust the whole lot or their system, but I'm super guarded and paranoid because of my own crappy experiences. Because of that, I'm aware there is a large cool part of all communities that is great to be a part of, I just won't touch any of it out of fear of getting burned again. Hell, I wish I could have been like those "too cool for school people" but I was no where near it. In school if someone smiled at me for even a second or picked up a pencil I dropped, I would have love-like feelings toward them for a long time and feel like I've been stabbed when they made fun of me later. That's how starved I was, so yeah I relate to the position you're in right now. I hope it gets better for you soon. (*hug*)

9. Badaxe

Thanks, it's nice to feel validated. :slight_smile: Honestly I was expecting people to say "Well obviously you're bi, you can't be lesbian, etc etc." right away. But maybe I was just being paranoid. Or maybe the fear is a product of all my lurking around on radical feminist sites (I have no prob with feminism per se, I'm a feminist myself, but some sects of radical feminism alienate me very much) who've said they'd never date or trust lesbians who've been with men, and who are very proud of their 'gold star lesbian' status, and who say that if anyone's ever loved a man, ever, they cannot possibly be lesbian. I hope they're a smaller minority than I thought. Or I'm not gonna have much luck out there.

All I know is that I don't desire men, at all, and I don't think I ever truly did. You're right, I obviously was trying to cling to some kind of straightness, but it seems to have been a desperate fabrication formed by fear and wishful thinking.

Well it's nice to meet a fellow aspie on here. :slight_smile: My rigid approach to this is definitely a product of that. Labels and categories keep me mentally organized, as long as they're accurate. Otherwise I feel like my mind is splintering in a thousand different directions, like I have no central coherence.

That's good that you've met someone like you who you can trust and work through life with. I'm pretty jealous. I'm gonna have to be dependent on this guy for a while until I can figure something out financially, but he's agreed that we can work together and just be friends, so that's good. He's an exceptional guy.

I've done a month's worth of thinking in the span of a few days, and I think I'm slowly figuring things out. I'm a bit too wary to try and join an actual lesbian community or go to gay bars and stuff until I have more experience being 'out' and getting a feel for it. So I'm just gonna widen my circle of friends, come out to them, and hopefully by chance I might meet someone like me. Luckily I can rely on being "conventionally attractive" to draw people in. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Sounds conceited, but w/e. It keeps me hopeful.

If you don't mind me asking, in what way(s) were you rejected or otherwise othered by the 'community'? How do they expect you to look or act (in general)? I feel like I'd stick out like a sore thumb right away, or just be constantly mistaken for being straight, since I look kinda femme, or are there more femme lesbians than I'm aware of? I'm really ignorant. Also my poor social skills would make me seem unintentionally angry/rude/stupid/skittish.

Anyway, thanks for your replies so far. It's helped a bit. I do wish I would've got more replies from more people. I should have made this thread in the "coming out advice" forum, since there's way more traffic there. Oh well lol.

#9 Badaxe, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  10. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Yes, that might have gotten you more press. I think if you ask, someone will move it for you. I've seen that done a few times.

The only sense of the LGBT community I received was from the few people I met at University. I wouldn't say I was rejected. On the contrary, most of them were very nice and inviting. The only "problem" was with me. Sociability was my main problem as it is in many cases. I wasn't close with them like they were with each other, we shared nothing in common personality-wise, and spent little time together outside of club meetings. The only thing that linked us was that we were all some kind of gay, but that wasn't enough for me to feel a connection with them. So really the problem was that I didn't have a sense of community with the LGB people I knew because I never formed a connection with them just as people. I thought that we would become automatic friends and I would feel more comfortable around them because we were all LGB, but that didn't happen. I felt like I would in any situation with a bunch of people; ready to go back to my room. That make sense?

Now, a community that has openly rejected me is the black community. I suffer from NBES, Not Black Enough Syndrome otherwise known as YAWD, You Act White Disorder and had an ever pressing bout of WLD, Weird and Lame Disease. The black community where I grew up held no qualms about letting me know outright and aggressively how much I was not like them and how much that made me a life-time failure. This is where 98% of my anti-community feelings stem from. My sexuality had no priority growing up. Everything was centered around my area's brand of black culture; from a person's personality to the shoes on their feet, and everything in between and beyond. I failed everything, forever stamping me as the class laughing stock/punching bag. I was a weirdo and joke from 1st grade until the day I graduated. Hell, I even disappointed some of the adults in my life who felt I acted "strange" (white/odd) because I was articulate, but too quiet and wanted my Mom to shake me out of that, just a little bit. I could still be smart, but she still needed to make me more like a normal kid. Her only method to doing this would be to take my books away, toss me outside despite my protests, and lock the doors. Thinking about it conjures all sort of vile emotions, so I'd better stop here, but yeah this is the only sense of community I have and it's horrible. More horrible when I still trapped in it, which thankfully I am not any more. It appears that the only good thing ASD did for me was make teachers fond of me, the only positive thing I care to remember about growing up.

The remaining 2% of anti-community feelings come from attempting/wanting to attempt to become a part of other groups and failure/expected failure to do so. Not only does my experience give me eerie feelings toward communities, but just people and the outside world in general. It's why I am currently a hermit. I was talking to my Aunt about this yesterday and she laughed, saying "it's like you have post-traumatic stress disorder from your childhood." Perhaps, she is not wrong.

Also, I'd like to apologize for my second post. Reading over it, I find it to be mean and mocking. Now that we're actually having a conversation, I feel it's only right I explain that was me acting like the "clever asshole" character I created as a defense against any negativity or confrontation I might encounter amidst a disagreement. A while ago, I figured if I came off like a rude smart ass, it would make me feel safe from anyone who didn't like what I had to say and it might also make some people want to talk to me. After all, from my observations, many people seem to like "the playful jerk." Having completely dropped the character act, I regret taking that approach earlier. In case it caused you any bad feelings, my sincerest apologies. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

11. Badaxe

Haha don't worry, I honestly didn't notice that you were being a "clever asshole" or putting on a character act or something. I just read and understood the meaning of your words per se. I saw that our outlooks toward community-oriented things differed, and decided I should clarify how and why my outlook is different. I don't usually notice those types of things (tone/fronting) unless it's more outright or an actual insult or something. Especially on the internet. So, no worries.

Sorry you had such shitty childhood experiences. I can see why you'd rather stay away from most people in general. I really feel for you, and I wish I had some valid input, but I have no experience with that type of thing, since I'm white and grew up around mostly white people. So I had a pretty privileged childhood, at least until middle school, when my AS (which was previously thought to be just "giftedness") became incredibly obvious. That's when the bullying started, then the mental problems, then a bunch of other bullshit I'd rather not get into.

Anyway, thanks for all your input. I'm becoming more and more secure in my identity as time goes on. Though it's only been a little over a week since I made the thread, my mental approach toward my circumstances is slowly changing. I don't feel as much of a need for validation anymore(though it'd still help a great deal). I'm a bit more certain now that my situation and my identity are very valid. Plus, I have a little less fear now about getting a social life and living the 'out' life. I'm getting some psychiatric help with social anxiety and panic disorder (aka fuck yeah Xanax prescription). And I already made a new friend. So yeah, things are looking up at the moment.

#11 Badaxe, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  12. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

That's great. Glad things are on the up and up for you. :grin: How did you make your friend, if you don't mind my asking?

I figured you most likely didn't notice. Honestly, it is really poor "clever asshole" persona, certainly not my best writing-wise. :lol: Since I knew what I had done I had to say something or I would have dwelled on the "what if" of it, something I do with everything.

Thanks for the condolences on my shitty childhood. I will say, though, that it gives me lots of writing mojo, so I feel like something good does come out of it in the long run. :thumbsup:

13. Badaxe

Yep, shitty experiences do sometimes provide good writing material for those who like to write, and I could tell you were the writing type, lol.

And I appreciate your apology about the 'snarky' persona, if only just because it shows that you're a nice and considerate person. Might sound lame, but just seeing people who show genuine kindness of any sort always makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Also, just goes to show that us aspies really do have a fuckload of empathy, haha.

I made my friend at my job. We've been acquaintances for a few years but I'm finally willing to show her bits of my personality, because she insistently showed genuine interest in getting to know me. And she actually really likes me (I was shocked and didn't believe her at first), and she kept literally begging me to hang out with her after work. She even understands my social problems and knows I have panic attacks and stuff, and she doesn't judge me or act weird about it. She's extremely extroverted, so it's never awkward because she always keeps the convo going and initiates our plans and interactions (something I'll rarely do). So I'm really happy about that. :slight_smile:

14. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

:lol: Became obvious, did it?

That's really nice. At first the persistent ones make me shy away, but the ones who are persistent without being pushy or judgy make me interested in pursuing some kind of friendship, even if it's just a nice chat every once in a while if we happen to be in the same place at the same time. I look forward to the run-ins, rather than dread them when the extrovert is actually a cool, nice person.

Well, thank you kindly. :slight_smile: haha Yeah I know right? I find it funny that some people think aspies are soulless robots. If anything I think aspies feel too much and the problem comes when one doesn't know how to process those feelings. At least, I feel like that's my problem. I'm extremely sensitive, yet come off indifferent in situations I tend to feel most strongly about. I think that's because I actively prohibit myself from letting loose all these emotions I have over every little (stupid) thing, so on the surface I look like a robot, but on the inside my mind is rampant with feelings/thoughts/questions, too many and never ending.

15. dorkyblueyes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, I could have written this myself. I have always been more attracted to women then men. But I didn't want to be. I thought I was asexual for the longest time because I could NEVER imagine being with a guy. I thought it was gross. I am 27 and I have been with 3 guys in my life. The first just happened, the second was more curiosity, the third was a dare. I was dared to hook up with someone in the next 3 months, and I did. And it was nice. Sex felt good. But it always just didn't feel right. I have always been attracted to girls. Ever since I could remember I fantasized about girls. I came to terms with being bisexual, but now I am even questioning that. I am not sure if I am bisexual or a lesbian to be honest. I am wondering if I actually am attracted to guys, or if I just feel like I should be. The question isn't whether I am attracted to girls or not, it's if I am attracted to men. So you are not alone. And reading this, you shouldn't be ashamed to call yourself a lesbian if that's what you believe you are. I hope something I said helped. If anything I hope you feel less alone knowing I am going through it too.

16. Badaxe

Yeah I get what you mean, I know my attraction to guys was purely a product of "feeling like I should be" attracted to them, because it was the only safe, viable option I saw before me. Society conditions us to be straight from the day we're born. I'm still iffy about calling myself a lesbian, not because I don't feel like one, but because I honestly still feel insecure about not having "the right" to the label... so I just tell myself and other people that "I like women". It's easier, and it doesn't automatically call to mind a bunch of stereotypes and mental filters in people's head, as when they hear the word "lesbian". Because if they hear the word "lesbian", and you've only ever been with men, people are gonna be like "But how can you be a lesbian if / but you're not a lesbian because / but lesbians don't date men / but how can you be a lesbian, let me dictate your sexuality for you!!!11" Plus, I feel like some other lesbians would get mad at me or not trust me or think I was appropriating the label, since I've been with men.

I just want to go back and start over... I wish my parents would've at least fucking told me about homosexuality and that it was okay... I wish I had some lesbian role models in my life that I could've looked up to. I wouldn't be in this sexually frustrated/starving/ravenous position I'm in now. UGHHH.

17. lowkey

lowkey Guest

Idk willow maiden, I think that was mad funny to read but not all black communitys are like that... A couple where I was had a vibe from me I was gay n said they don't really care pretty much in a DL way which I understood. Also there was another white neighbor who was bothering me all the time with noise complaints so my black neighbors blasted there stereo n subwoolfer speakers at her doors to piss her off.

To be honest only the ones with crazy ego problems are to worry of.. they have something to prove or some shit who the fuck knows.

18. Badaxe

I think WillowMaiden was talking about her experience being autistic in a black community. Autistic people can stand out like crazy even among the most bourgeois white folk, in a much different way than gay people.

19. Pixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are definitely a lesbian.

I agree with you and others completely that labels are very important, and if they're too vague they become pointless anyway, but sexuality is already such a vague thing. It's about a persons thoughts and feelings and emotions, the most convoluted things in the world. :lol:

Do you know of the Kinsey scale? Kinsey scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I think it's very accurate in terms of how sexuality works. Even though you've had a relationship with a man and had sexual contact with men, even though you've briefly fallen for a man before, it doesn't mean anything if you're not attracted to men and find the idea of sex with a man disgusting. You fantasize about women and want to spend the rest of your life exclusively being with women. You're a lesbian. :slight_smile:

There are too many variables for it to have such a strict definition, and the LGBT community understands that better than any other. It's so rarely ever black and white, we all chose the label we are most comfortable with and feel fits us. I meet gay guys who like boobs for some reason, but that doesn't mean they're not gay. I personally find Jason Statham quite attractive in an unusual way I can't quite put my finger on, even though I've never been with a man before and never would, but that doesn't mean I'm not a lesbian. and straight people have the same dilemmas, how many straight women are there who have experimented? I know so many. It's natural for human beings to be drawn to one another but have major preferences, innate and otherwise, that may rule out a whole gender for romance and sex. It's also worth noting that because our society is still not totally accepting of homosexuality, a lot of confusion is caused simply because of that reason, and people try to fight their own feelings.

So yep I think you're definitely a lesbian, and I don't doubt that other lesbians would accept you, that's not something you should worry about in my opinion. :slight_smile: Good luck with everything

btw, I accidentally "quick posted" this message before I had finished writing it. I hope a moderator will pick up on that and only approve this one. I'm a newb and this was my first attempt at posting. Great start :lol:

20. Badaxe

Thanks.

Due to my obsessive need for exactness, I think I've been making this more complicated than it needs to be. The definition of a lesbian is a woman who is exclusively attracted to other women, and not men. And that's what I am, so it obviously follows that I'm a lesbian.

And anyone, lesbian or otherwise, who tries to tell me I'm not what I am because I've been with a man, obviously doesn't understand the reality of struggling with internalized homophobia and how that can make someone think they're something they're not. I've decided I'm not gonna take shit from people who would accuse me of faking, lying, or being confused. Because I know what I am. And because the moment I'm perceived as vulnerable and insecure about my identity, the more likely they're gonna think I really am just confused. And I'm not. I'm 100% sure I'm 100% gay, and anyone who tries to tell me otherwise is gonna be verbally annihilated by me. :badgrin: