1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Need Help Accepting Myself

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Skinny Pete, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Skinny Pete

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Warning, this post is a bit lengthy :slight_smile: I appreciate the time taken by anyone who reads it, though!

This is my first post here, or anywhere having to do with LGBT stuff. I've been self-identifying as hetero for all 29 years of my life with reoccurring same-sex feelings that I always dismissed.

The funny thing is I don't think I knew I was gay for sure until just recently... It's not that I don't like gays (I'm very pro-gay rights politically), it's just that I don't want to be one.

Before anybody gets offended bear in mind that the main reason I don't want to be one is because I have already been through so much ridicule and torment in my life so far for other issues that to pile on one more that will simply open the doors for people to hate on me more... it is a very scary proposition.

I don't know how bad it is because I know nothing of the culture. But when I Google self-hating and gays, all that comes up is information on homophobes. I never considered myself a homophobe. Yet I have been denying this part of myself all my life and hating myself for not being strong enough to overcome it.

Not because I think it's gross, but because it's going to end up defining me and preventing me from living a life free of prejudice. I'm a white, middle-aged male, so I have never existed within any social minority before.

Anyway, the other night I was sobbing for an hour or so, as I do every week (only behind closed doors mind you, I am very collected in front of others) and something just went off in me like a switch and I had to just accept it and tell someone, to make sure that the planet wouldn't explode into flames if someone found out. Because the everpresent fear of someone finding out was exhausting.

So later that day I told my Mother, who was very accepting, and while it was very difficult, I imagine I had an advantage in that I had shared with her that I might be bi a long time ago when I was still coming to grips with possibly being bi or gay. So she had already gotten past the acceptance phase back then.

It's not that I want to start dating men (the idea still feels so unnatural to me), it's just that I can't handle the pain of keeping it buried. Even though I'm not going to act on the feelings for probably at least a year or so while I deal with other stuff in my life, just getting it off my chest was great.

I'm starting to think the only person in my family who would have problems accepting me as a gay person is me.

How do I change myself and get accustomed? I don't fit any of the gay stereotypes. I'm thin and in the bedroom desire to play a very feminine role, but outside of those intimate fantasized scenarios, I am quite butch, with a deep voice and no feminine mannerisms that I can think of. Only one person in my life has ever seemed to think I was gay, and when I asked him why he said it was because I rarely checked out women when the rest of our work crew did. I think I told him it was out of respect (probably believed it myself).

I hate to spill myself bare like this, very egotistical I know, but I am in a vulnerable spot and I don't have a support network really. I don't feel comfortable telling anyone else for a good while, but it would make me feel a lot better to actually talk with some LGBT folks, though I don't have any openly gay friends. Given the name of this forum I was hoping this might be a good place to try.

I saw a documentary on five people who came out in their fifties, sixties, and seventies. I think that might have had something to do with my coming out shortly thereafter. I'm less than a year from thirty and I haven't yet wrestled with something that I assume most gay people deal with (and learn from) in high school.

Can anybody maybe recommend a good book on the subject? I am an avid reader but I know so little about this subject.

Or maybe some mental exercises or tips to I dunno find some acceptance or maybe even pride in it? I feel silly even asking, but I need to ask somewhere.

I've been trying to change it, hope it goes away, or hope that my hetero side (I do crave women about 10% of the time) became strong enough for me to be bi so I could choose the less difficult of two social paths.

What amazed me so much was how much better I felt after I told someone. Still, they are reacting to it better than I am, and that bothers me. I made sure it was someone who can take a secret to the grave, of course, and there's probably no safer bet than one's mother.

Also, if it matters, I'm not religious, nor are any of my family members. So that's not a barrier.

TL;DR: I needs help! Thank you much for your time.

2. Candace

Accustomed? There's no certain path you have to act, man. Face to face, I don't "look gay" and people don't realise that I am gay until I tell them. I do whatever I like doing (and by coincidence, some things happen to not fall under "hetero guy stuff").

You can't CHANGE whom you love. That's like asking you to change your nationality. You can't become a 100% French native, and still have an American accent and speak NEAR (not perfect) French, and know everything about their culture. It's something you can't hide from the world, unless you find pleasure in being miserable. Look at how far we've come now in 2013, as opposed to 1953. People are LIKING gays, lesbians, trans, bisexuals now. People take pride that they are American, as do the French take part in being French. Take pride that you're something other than straight. It's not like you killed a person, raped a girl, do drugs, or etc. Those are things not to be proud of. Be proud of yourself. I learned this song in bible school when I was little:

Jesus loves me (despite my orientation) THIS I KNOW, for the Bible tells ME so. God and Jesus love you for you.

-ElPanaChevere, a gay "not gay acting" guy, who is willing to be your friend :slight_smile:

3. AKTodd

Hi Pete! Welcome to EC :smilewave

You've definitely come to the right place. There are people here at all stages and ages of coming out from 13yrs to into their 40s and 50s. As well as people who've been out for years or decades who want to help out those who aren't all the way there yet.

It's a pretty accepting and positive community. Folks are always ready to talk or listen on just about any subject.

Who you are attracted to is only a part of all you are. You can be gay (or bi, since you mention you are sometimes attracted to women - bi people come in lots of flavors and many (most?) are not a simple 50-50 split on attraction) and like doing all kinds of things from the stereotypical to the decidedly not. There are guys here who are all over the map in that regard.

It's true that there is a significant chunk of the population that doesn't like LGBT people. It's also true that a significant chunk of people don't care or are actively supportive of us (as you may be learning). And then of course we can be pretty supportive of each other :thumbsup:

I'm sorry that you're going through some tough times emotionally right now (*hug*)

Hopefully spending some time here will help with that. I'm afraid I don't know any specific books or the like that can help with acceptance or pride, but there are probably people here who do and hopefully one or more of them can weigh in on that.

I can tell you that being LGBT is nothing to be afraid or ashamed of. It can be a lot of fun actually. I've been out for over 20yrs now and I wouldn't 'go straight' for anything. As with most things in life, being LGBT is what you make of it. As for those who try to make us feel ashamed or afraid - they are of no consequence. Don't let em bring you down.

Hope this helps and welcome abroad. Looking forward to talking to you more in the future.

Take care,

Todd