1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Letter Of Recommendation/supervisor testimonial

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by teluphone, Jul 5, 2013.

1. teluphone

Long story short, i'm interning for a month in the IT department and next friday is my last week in the company. My friend told me to remember to get a testimonial (because according to him it's very important for future job hunting sake) from my supervisor. So yesterday i asked my supervisor via email and received this reply.

"Honestly speaking, one month is too short for me to make an assessment, but not to worry i will work with P & O department (People and Organization) on this letter for you"

So i replied back thanks for being so willing to help. I did suggest the idea i could draft the letter myself over the weekend and get him and the P&O department to endorse it instead to save them the trouble.

I was wondering how truly crucial is a letter of recommendation or supervisor testimonial in respect to finding future employment/job hunting? I feel like if i don't get any sort of documentation/slip from this internship, it may affect my chances of finding my actual full-time job.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's always a big plus for a new employee to have a letter from an employer (or internship leader.) It might be a little presumptuous for you to be offering to write it yourself; I'd probably find it odd if one of my employees did that.

They should certainly be able to say *something* after a month. Might not be able to speak in great depth, but certainly there are attributes they can observe in a month's time.

Not having the recommendation won't prevent you from getting a job, but having it might boost your chances with some employers.