1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my cat starting to die?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, Jul 7, 2013.

1. MerBear

know, that sounds dumb but My cat is 13 years old and we've had him along for a long time And for the past year or so, he's been Throwing up his food. Mind you, I know its bad....But we don't have any money to treat him or anything. We are dead broke as usual. so anyways, My dad says he's worried, he'll go off somewhere and just die because some cats do that.

He spends most of his days laying out on the back sunroom and he usually sleeps which is normal for his age but Lately, He's been Hanging close to me and my dad.

like for the past few nights, he's been scratching at my door, wanting to come in and lay with me and he's also been just been getting closer to me.

Me and Him, have had a close relationship but since my mom died, we haven't been as close but for the past nights, I've been letting him come in my room and lay down on my bed and sleep with me.

he's also been sneezing alot and sounds he has a stuffed up nose.
    But besides him, throwing up his food and sneezing.....he's just been getting closer to me and I was wondering ....Are these signs that my cat is dying?

Another note, he's an outside cat and he's always has wandered off somewhere like to another neighbour's yard or goes and lays in the bushes and comes out when my dad comes home and he still does it, he just doesn't do it as often

I nor my dad can afford any medical treatment. it costs $50-75 to just get him checked out and When my mom got him, they could afford it but Since 4 years ago after the recession hit, it been tough

2. Rice and Pepper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We have cats too, but they only stay outside, so they are a little distant. Maybe it's not the same for indoors cats.

I have noticed that cats are not emotional. They like to be the center of attention, but if they don't feel well, they will hide. I have had thousands of cats dying because they were bitten, poisoned or hit by cars, none of them sought our help.

You should probably ask on a pet forum, not here. Your cat is getting old, but he could just be ill. Maybe it's the cat food. Or he could have a parasite infection. For example, mine always get intestine worms You should ask someone who knows better.

3. MixedNutz

4. MerBear

thats sad....

i THINK he might be at his last leg

5. Rice and Pepper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey now... Don't feel down. It is really sad that your cat is not well, but things like that happen. Even if his illness turns out to be fatal, you must think positive (or at least not negative). Sooner or later the inevitable will happen, but think that he has lived for 13 years (in wild nature that's too much, mine usually live 2 to 3 years), and that he had all the luxurities that even you don't have. Not even a care in the world. And even when he dies, you are there taking care of him. His life couldn't be better than this.

6. HeyAshley

well i'm not trying to give you false hope, because all animals behave differently. but if it makes you feel any better about a year ago my cat started throwing up everything he ate and wouldn't eat or drink anything. i bought a syringe (they're like $1) and just pushed water in him and in a few days he was fine.

7. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We've had two cats with the same symptoms as you're describing here. It could possibly be feline leukemia I know how hard it is to watch your beloved pet suffer, but find comfort in the fact that he's had a very good life with you. Both our cats only lived to be about 1.5 - 2 years old, so it was harder to accept, since they were so young. I wish you all the best, stay strong. Your cat will let you know when it's time. Thinking of you(*hug*)