1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drunk Text

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MixedNutz, Jul 7, 2013.

1. MixedNutz

That moment when one of your 'friends' sends you a video text of him and some other random dude saying "whatup faggot"...

No explanation.

Then you ask WTF... he says "oh wrong person"

I've known said friend for about 7 years and he was totally cool when I came out to him and said he wanted to visit and had no issue staying in our spare bedroom and wanted to meet my bf.

Now Im just feeling like I want to mentally say ":***: YOU" and cut him off. He lives 6 hours away and I don't see him a lot.

Thoughts?:dry:

2. LinkLarkin

Just ask him for an explanation. It'll hurt both of you if you instinctively cut him out of your life after what could just be a misunderstanding.

If he really is enough of a dickhead to have sent you that then go with your instincts and stop being friendly with him, alcohol is no excuse (it just brings out his true feelings...). However, he may not be lying when he says that it was intended for the wrong person, in which case there's no need to get worked up about it.

Maybe leave it a few days just to show him that it upset you and then get in touch and ask him for a proper explanation (preferably a sober one).

3. srslywtf

Yeah.... It sucks.

That said, I've said things like that when I was drunk before I recognised my own orientation.. I mean I would watch my words around people I knew were gay/etc, but around straight people you kinda just... everyone else is doing it and you aren't thinking. If they truely meant to send it to someone else (who is straight), I would probably just be mildly offended. If it was directed purposely then... Ugh.

As for alcohol just bringing out true feelings... No! I know some people who are lovely people, but on alcohol they become aggressive/violent/hateful. that isn't them though.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    fwiw, I have a number of straight friends that say "whatup, faggot" or "I miss hanging with you bunch of faggots" to me and my group of friends all the time, and I don't take any offense to it. In fact, I find it funny. I'd give some thought to this. If your friend is comfortable with the fact you're gay, maybe he's comfortable enough to joke with you about it and that's the intent. Perhaps you find it offensive, but very likely he didn't intend it that way.

5. The username

"oh wrong person"
    It was the wrong person - he was not calling you that.

You have never referred to someone as something in a joking manor? My brother says "What up, douche" all the time.

Lighten up - don't be so sensitive. I seriously doubt he was trying to offend you.

6. MixedNutz

I guess what pissed me off the most is how he didn't even apologize after I questioned him.

Like the least he could have said was "sorry" not make excuses for it being ok.