1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is wrong with me?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by twospiritlycan, Jul 7, 2013.

1. This was the third job I stopped going to. In this recent job, I worked at Wal-Mart, and I didn't like anything about it. The second job was with an old man who wanted me to clean his house, he lives alone and he has roommates who pay rent to him. The problem was I got paranoid because he told me he didn't mind seeing me work without a shirt and getting a tan and muscles from cleaning the yard outside. His words sort of bothered me, so I left. The first job was a hotel job as a desk employee in charge of checking in people and taking care of the front lobby.

At first, I learned well and did these jobs like I'm supposed, but with every job I became paranoid about my future, and eventually I screw up and I can't forgive myself for it, and then I stop going to work at that job. I don't why I get so paranoid and hectic over little things, and I just want it to stop.

I keep thinking about pursuing Writing, Music, and Traveling. Those interests keep popping up in my head, I like doing those things, but I'm afraid to go and do it. I feel lost and frustrated with everything.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If regular jobs absolutely aren't working for you, pursue one of your creative dreams. Unfortunately, "professional traveler" doesn't really exist unless you want to be a couch-surfing drifter, and I'd advise against that. But if you have any talent at the other two and the means to get a career going, go for it. One piece of writing published or one bit of music produced is an open door for a lot more to come through after.

3. LD579

Super realistically and sensibly speaking, those things you want to pursue are best done as hobbies or on free time. For quite a few people, hobbies are destroyed when they become jobs. That's something you may want to keep in mind.

With that said... I think you identified why you can't keep 'regular jobs' (in bold in the quote). To be honest, I think you were completely justified in leaving that second job. That just sounds creepy. If you're not enjoying your third job, then maybe it just wasn't for you. Your first job, though... It sounds like the problem was you, and not the job itself.

If you could find a job similar that you don't mind, it'd be an option. Jobs are like school; few people genuinely enjoy the work itself but the environment and perks and future benefits are worth it in the long run. Sometimes you just have to not think and follow through... That's another thing to keep in mind. I wish you the best =)

4. justjade

I have a similar issue. I quit one job because I didn't like how one of the managers went completely unchecked for yelling at me all the time. Then I quit another job because it was just so unbelievably stressful. My issue, mostly, is that I have social anxiety. I get extremely nervous around people. I, too, have been looking for a creative job. One of my goals is to become some form of creative professional, but sadly, I don't see that happening.

Let me assure you that nothing is wrong with you. The economy's in the toilet, and people are dicks. It's not your fault. It sounds to me like you just have a low threshold when it comes to anxiety much like I do.

Let me tell you, also, that you can't worry about the future all the time or you'll miss what's happening in the now. Being a creative professional looks like it could be damn near impossible, and in fact, it probably is, but one thing that will keep you sane is doing your writing and music in your free time to start out. It can be very therapeutic. Enter some contests. Build up your confidence and your reputation. Then, if you feel more driven to pursue those things, I say go for it. However, I've often heard that it's not a good idea to do something you really enjoy as a hobby professionally because then you will no longer want to do it because it will just feel like a chore.

In short, do something you can tolerate for now. Then maybe you can get enough cash flow behind your passions to turn it into a career. I wish you the best. :thumbsup:

5. I was told I might have a social anxiety problem. I really think it might be that, and people in general are really rude and that could be contributing to that. I feel like it's something I want to do. I've lately gathered an interest in Computers, Arts, Writing, and Music. I've ha an interest in this stuff since high school. It does sound realistic that you can get tired of your hobbies as a career. Would it work to work towards a job learning about computers and then having the other interests as an escape.

6. justjade

That sounds like a pretty good plan. Computers are very rapidly evolving, and they're everywhere. The world could always use more people who are good with them, I figure. :slight_smile:

7. srslywtf

Honestly if you're not doing any of those creative pursuits in your spare time, you shouldn't be quitting your job for them.

Develop talent THEN decide if it's right to quit your job.

I hate my job. Hate it. The reason I keep going is because I dont want to be reliant on somebody else to support me.