1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY hair dye

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by srslywtf, Jul 8, 2013.

1. srslywtf

OK so I've never dyed my hair, but always wanted to try all sorts of colours/etc.. At the moment it is medium brown. not a very rich brown, kinda 'flat' brown.

Today I picked up a dark red/purple permanent dye pack..

Just wondering if people have any tips!

Is it possible for me to do on my own or should I get someone to help?

Anything I should watch out for/you learnt the hard way?

#1 srslywtf, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  2. LD579

If your hair is long, it's harder to do yourself. With that said, I've coloured my hair myself quite a bit. If you want to streak it, it's easier if someone helps you. If you just want to full out dye your hair, or some sections of it, it can be done by yourself.

Make sure you do it while you're either shirtless or covered with a plastic or garbage bag or something, unless you don't care about the shirt you're wearing. Keep a clock by you, too. Don't let it get into cuts or anything, 'cause that'd probably be bad, and don't let it get into your eyes or anything. The kit should come with gloves... so wear those while you apply it on yourself.

That's all I can think of that's relevant, at the moment. I am not sure how helpful shampoo and conditioner specifically for colour treated hair is, to be honest, but it may help extend how long the colour lasts. Good luck and stuff! =)

3. srslywtf

Second guessing myself now... it's so hard to tell how it's going to look once its on your head!!

I'm like "maybe a few shades redder" /etc/etc/etc

Maybe I'll wait till tomorrow.

4. Paper Crane

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could try cutting off some of your hair and testing it? I did that with some hair I'd saved from when I got it halved in length :lol:. Then you would know what colour it will turn!