1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Take A Compliment?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Lostein, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Lostein

Lostein Guest

So............this is kind of a weird question. Most of my life, I've always been so critical of myself and appearance, so I always took a compliment as a kind of joke to break the ice or that kind of thing. Now, I'm finally trying to "rewire" my brain so to speak. The way it works most of the time is like so:

Person: "You look nice today ____."
    Me: "You're too kind. Really......"
    Person: "Not at all."

Ok, so not the best example, but hopefully it gets my point across. Maybe it's just a stupid little thing to worry about, but I guess it's worth asking. How exactly should I act when someone gives me a compliment? Thanks in advance!

2. LD579

The way you responded is fine, if a bit passive. You could also compliment them in return more explicitly. Ex. I like your hair today.

There's nothing wrong with how you'd respond, though, again.

3. Gen

Gen

I wouldn't worry about it. There really isn't a proper way to accept a compliment.

Personally, with everyone that I've known for longer than an hour, I usually respond as egotistical and conceited as possible. By then they usually know from my personality that I'm not being serious.

When I get random compliments from those I am not familiar with, I usually just smile and say thank you.

4. Lostein

Lostein Guest

I suppose it's never a bad idea to return the favor. I just don't usually do, because then I feel like they might think I'm hitting on them or flirting. I'm really overanalyzing this, huh?

5. LD579

Maybe... But not really. I think being friendly and complimenting others is perfectly fine. If it's a ton of compliments over a period of time, that's when it starts to seem like flirting. I'd say you don't really have to worry about this =)

6. Lostein

Lostein Guest

Haha, guess I was being paranoid again :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Thanks for the help guys.

7. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the compliment is sincere (If they're not saying something nice to me just for the sake of it), I usually smile and say thank you. But then I tend to become a little self-conscious and shy, and usually start blushing