1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm kinda lost

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Unsurevirgin, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Okay so I'm kinda lost I've been doing the bakery internship for 3 weeks I think but I wanna be a pastry chef for the love of it . But how do u get there ? Culinary school and getting a degree or doing what I am now and seeing if ppl will hire me for a paying actual job as a pastry chef?

2. justjade

I'm thinking you could go either way. Just depends on the businesses you plan on applying to in the future. My husband is a graphic designer, and he doesn't have a degree, but he got the job because it's a small business.

I dunno....

Either way, culinary school would look great on a resume. I'm really glad you are doing this instead of fast food like you mentioned in one of your earlier threads, so congrats on that. Or you could start your own business, which could be really hard. It's basically up to you. Schooling is pretty expensive, but it can be well worth it.

Maybe ask your boss how he/she landed that job and then talk to him/her about the possibilities.

I wish you the best of luck! I'm glad you found something you really enjoy! :thumbsup:

3. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Thank u so much :slight_smile: but how do loans work ?

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Check this out :slight_smile:

How to Become a Pastry Chef in New York | eHow

5. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Thank u :slight_smile: I'm in ny tho lol I talked to my boss but I'm waiting a reply :slight_smile:

6. justjade

Loans are a tricky business. You'll get some stafford loans with your financial aid package based on the information you put into your FAFSA. They're pretty OK. You want to make sure that, if given the option, you choose to have the subsidized. That means that your loans won't accumulate interest while you're attending college.

Private loans are a bitch. If you don't have good credit, you will need a co-signer.

Also, though, your loans will be deferred until 6 months after you stop attending school. Then, if work isn't coming easily, you can defer your loans further on the grounds of financial hardship. Hell, you can even do that if you're not working full time depending on who your loans are through. You can also apply for lower payments if you want to continue paying on them but don't want to pay the full amount per month the company is asking you to pay.

When you pay on them, you will eventually get a document stating the amount of student loan interest you've paid. You can claim this on your taxes, which can come in handy.

I wish you the best! :slight_smile:

7. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

But is loans the safest way to go?

8. castle walls

I don't know much about culinary schools specifically but I do wonder if they're a good idea. Would it be too difficult to try to work your way up without the degree?

Regardless, try not to end up like the people in this NY Times article. They are in a lot of debt and can't get a job that pays more than $11 an hour.

No. They are not the safest way to go at all. In fact, you could argue that they are the least safe way to go. Loans should only be used as a last resort. If there is any other way you can pay for school you should exhaust those means first.

I'm not trying to demonize loans. I have them myself. They get a bad rap because a lot of people are incredibly irresponsible with them. You do not want to default on your loans. Defaulting causes nothing but trouble. To avoid defaulting on your loans, you should only take out an amount you will be able to pay back.

With all that being said, loans aren't bad by themselves. They are simply a tool. It is irresponsible use that makes loans an unwise decision. If you can use the loans responsibly, then there is nothing wrong with taking out loans for your education.

Of course, don't forget to exhaust your other options first (grants, scholarships, jobs, etc.). Learn about the different types of loans (private loans vs. the loans offered from the federal government, subsidized vs. unsubsidized, etc.). If you do decide to take out loans, read everything before you sign it and make sure you understand it.

Good luck!

9. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

IM doing a internship right now but I'm not sure what to do after I'm finished with the internship.