1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be aggressive?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, Jul 10, 2013.

1. MerBear

Okay so since my dad is practically forcing me into this teen/adult police program then I'm going to have to learn to be a REALLY good actress.

So right now, we're doing scenarios...where I have to yell "Open up this is the police!" and go into this building and find the suspect and once i find the suspect , I have tell him to get up and tell him why he is under arrest and arrest him.

so I'm good at the physical parts such as putting him in handcuffs but.....I cannot Yell.....or direct order.....because It makes me feel really awkward yelling in front of people because everybody is watching you and you know....and yelling "Open up this is the police!"
    is just....I don't know if i can do it properly.

anyways....Yeah...How do you be more aggressive or how do you yell without feeling awkward?

2. rjrh20

Well you shouldn't feel awkward, thy are all there to see you do that exact thing. They are not going to judge you, so you shouldn't feel awkward. Think of yelling as a way to get any anger or pain or unhappiness out, considering when being a cop your not supposed to be the most jolly person in the world.

3. MerBear

I dont like saying something thats scripted.....If its forced, that makes me really uncomfortable and I dont know if they will judge because they have been in that program for more than a year and are way more experienced so they might think of me as some pity potty

and I know being a cop doesnt mean your jolly but I dont know.

I'll take the yelling to get anger put

4. rjrh20

I don't know than, just try to make yourself feel a little bit more comfortable than I guess. They might start to like you more if you do really good at different types of roles. Good luck!!!

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you must continue with the program, don't think of it as yelling for its own sake-- You should realize that you are yelling "This is the police!" so the suspect hears you clearly and knows exactly what's going on. That part is not for aggression; it's so people who know they're going to lose (the smart ones) will come out peacefully and you won't have to fight with them first.

Good luck with your Explorer training. I wish I had known I would pursue a similar career path earlier so I could have done it, but it sounds like you'll need a lot of reassurance. At least you're determined to see it through. :slight_smile:

6. MerBear

I dont want to do this program. I dont even know what i truly want to be yet.
    I can't realize ...and do the this the police thing....Unless its a real thing, I can't do that. its too forced and scripted.

I just want to know how to do it without feeling awkward or uncomfortable

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    confidence comes with knowing your turf. once you get familiar with all this police stuff, you'll seem more confident.

And, I'd like to say...um that isn't my stuff

8. MerBear

I know, i guess i don't have much confidence

9. Lostein

Lostein Guest

The first thing that came into mind when I read the title was, "Be aggresive! Be be aggresive!" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

On a more serious note, I think it really has to do with your mindset. If you maybe start to think of the scenario as being more real (even though you know it's not) it might help you to "panic" and then start to yell. I know that whenever I start to panic, I always am louder for some reason. Hope it helps!

10. PurpleRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Learn to be assertive first.

11. MerBear

how do you become assertive?